What did you learn today?

fygjam

6 hours ago, Butch said:

I learned that next time a mixer tap needs replacing I'm calling a fucking plumber.

Yes i learnt the same a few weeks ago. The shop would have done it for SGD60 which seemed a rip off.

I needed more fittings than i first thought, those are very cheap. Then loosening one fitting loosened another which was recessed into the wall. Working under the sink i just couldn't stop all the leaks. Finally on attempt 6 all joints held.

I am told that just PTFE tape is not always enough - should have used thread sealant (pipe dope). First i've heard about that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zambo said:

Yes i learnt the same a few weeks ago. The shop would have done it for SGD60 which seemed a rip off.

I needed more fittings than i first thought, those are very cheap. Then loosening one fitting loosened another which was recessed into the wall. Working under the sink i just couldn't stop all the leaks. Finally on attempt 6 all joints held.

I am told that just PTFE tape is not always enough - should have used thread sealant (pipe dope). First i've heard about that.

The primary function of the PTFE tape is to act as a lubricant, used to be lard and horsehair in the old days with iron pipes. The seal on tapered fittings is achieved by thread deformation, the PTFE just lets you apply sufficient torque although it may also fill micro-gaps.

For parallel fittings you always need the pipe dope.

For BSP fittings, the fourth letter indicates either tapered or parallel. eg. BSPT, BSPP.

• Great Info 2

33 minutes ago, fygjam said:

The primary function of the PTFE tape is to act as a lubricant, used to be lard and horsehair in the old days with iron pipes. The seal on tapered fittings is achieved by thread deformation, the PTFE just lets you apply sufficient torque although it may also fill micro-gaps.

For parallel fittings you always need the pipe dope.

For BSP fittings, the fourth letter indicates either tapered or parallel. eg. BSPT, BSPP.

That's great info. Buying from the local hardware these are just china made and cheap fittings - no markings. I also expect the threads are not that accurately sized.

17 minutes ago, Zambo said:

That's great info. Buying from the local hardware these are just china made and cheap fittings - no markings. I also expect the threads are not that accurately sized.

You also have to be careful which thread. There is British Standard Pipe (BSP) and the American National Pipe Thread (NPT) In a rush they may look the same until you try and screw them together. Thailand has a mix of both.

2 hours ago, fygjam said:

You also have to be careful which thread. There is British Standard Pipe (BSP) and the American National Pipe Thread (NPT) In a rush they may look the same until you try and screw them together. Thailand has a mix of both.

You didn't mention if the threads have to be filled also (with ptfe or other) or just the pipe dope. Or does that depend on the product?

Also is the pipe dope a "one chance mission" and if there is a leak have to clean it all off and start again.

My mixer tap is ok now just by using more ptfe and tightening more. But will buy a tin of pipe dope ready for the next time.

11 hours ago, Butch said:

I learned that next time a mixer tap needs replacing I'm calling a fucking plumber.

All of the quotes related to the above covered things rather well.

I'd rather put a .38 to my head than to try and take on a plumbing fix. It would turn into complete carnage. It would be easier for someone to just bag my body and throw out the bloodied mattress.

53 minutes ago, Zambo said:

You didn't mention if the threads have to be filled also (with ptfe or other) or just the pipe dope. Or does that depend on the product?

Also is the pipe dope a "one chance mission" and if there is a leak have to clean it all off and start again.

My mixer tap is ok now just by using more ptfe and tightening more. But will buy a tin of pipe dope ready for the next time.

I am not a plumber or gasfitter.

I've only used tapered fittings (the usual plumbing fittings) with only tape and very rarely had a leak and had to redo it.

It was only later in life that I discovered there were parallel fittings. Trying to install a recirculation pump into a water line and wondered why the fitting wouldn't tighten. No amount of tape would make a watertight seal so used pipe sealant, no tape. Loctite 577 from memory. Loctite make several pipe sealants but only one is suitable for potable (drinking) water. Follow the manufacturer instructions re use, cure time etc.

I use "heavy duty" PTFE tape. Slightly thicker and easier to handle than the regular stuff. In Australia it all appears to be coloured pink but I don't know if that's universal colour coding.

2 hours ago, fygjam said:

I am not a plumber or gasfitter.

I've only used tapered fittings (the usual plumbing fittings) with only tape and very rarely had a leak and had to redo it.

It was only later in life that I discovered there were parallel fittings. Trying to install a recirculation pump into a water line and wondered why the fitting wouldn't tighten. No amount of tape would make a watertight seal so used pipe sealant, no tape. Loctite 577 from memory. Loctite make several pipe sealants but only one is suitable for potable (drinking) water. Follow the manufacturer instructions re use, cure time etc.

I use "heavy duty" PTFE tape. Slightly thicker and easier to handle than the regular stuff. In Australia it all appears to be coloured pink but I don't know if that's universal colour coding.

Thank you once more. I will find a Loctite product and keep it in my secret storage drawer for future use.

• 2 weeks later...

I learned that almost spending £25k on a classic car without telling my Mrs is a bad idea.

FWIW It is a Lotus Sunbeam Avon edition, needing a bit of tidying up, but a rare version of an already rare car.

I was outbid and very nearly thought to put a last one in, but my Mrs went apeshit when I told her I'd lost, so God alone knows what would have happened when it turned up on the driveway had I won.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Butch said:

I learned that almost spending £25k on a classic car without telling my Mrs is a bad idea.

FWIW It is a Lotus Sunbeam Avon edition, needing a bit of tidying up, but a rare version of an already rare car.

I was outbid and very nearly thought to put a last one in, but my Mrs went apeshit when I told her I'd lost, so God alone knows what would have happened when it turned up on the driveway had I won.

See the post above yours.

I believe the left one is the first to go.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lirchenfeld said:

I rarely consume alcohol in my day-to-day life, not even chocolate with alcohol.

I will be having 2 glasses of red wine and a small glass of port wine on the 24th for the christmas dinner, and a small glass akvavit for chistmas lunch on the 25th. - That will be my alcohol intake for the remainder of the year. (excluding any alcohol conteined within the brown spot on bananas)

Thanks to @Lirchenfeld, I just learned the brown spot on a banana has alcohol in it. :default_drink:

image.png

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, galenkia said:

That Bracknell is full of chavs from the amount of people carrying Primark bags.

Fucking cheap tat. If you ever see me in there you have permission to shoot me.

Same up here mate.

Manchester / Liverpool make the effort, but most towns are just full of them.

Kids going out in cheap shite.  No one makes the effort anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, roomark said:

Same up here mate.

Manchester / Liverpool make the effort, but most towns are just full of them.

Kids going out in cheap shite.  No one makes the effort anymore.

Apart from band merchandise, I buy most of my clothing from the Castore website or from Superdry and Timberland shops in town.

None of that cheap rubbish for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, galenkia said:

That Bracknell is full of chavs from the amount of people carrying Primark bags.

Fucking cheap tat. If you ever see me in there you have permission to shoot me.

Ha !

The only clothes I've bought the past year are some shorts (knickers, lol), socks, and the hat/pair of shorts I bought at a nearby outdoor market - those cost me a whopping 150 baht.

Oh, and two nice short sleeve shirts.

--------------------------------

My mom used to only buy her clothes at Marshal Fields, which is probably on the scale of Harrods.

Me, lol. You wouldn't want to be seen shopping with me. You'd have to shoot yourself.

I've always paid for quality shoes though. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

Apart from band merchandise, I buy most of my clothing from the Castore website or from Superdry and Timberland shops in town.

None of that cheap rubbish for me.

Mainly Lacoste for me but I have just blown 300 baht on a shirt from a shop in Lamai!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Yeah, I always buy adidas trainers or Timberland boots.

I still have an old pair of black oxfords I bought back in the early 90's. One pair black, one pair brown. 

I kept the black ones. I think more for sentimental reasons than anything. For a couple years I had to wear a suit and tie. Those shoes saw a lot of things during those years. Many of which only the shoes and I knew about or witnessed.

• Like 1