Phobias

Nightcrawler

I suffer from.the fear of heights and claustrophobia to some extent. I try to avoid both, although strangely  enough I don't panic on aircraft which comprises of both to a degree.  My daughter will not go into an elevator, which is a strange one. 

Do you have any phobias that you try to avoid encountering?

The only thing I fear is getting suffocated. If my nose is blocked, I cannot sleep. Watching a movie where somebody is getting pulled underwater, I hold my breath and get nervous. 

Mrs. CO is screaming when she sees a caterpillar in the garden. Even a picture is making her scared as hell. Unbelievable, she sees them from 10 m distance while I stand infront of the bush, trying to find them as I have to deal with them.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Nightcrawler said:

I suffer from.the fear of heights and claustrophobia to some extent. I try to avoid both, although strangely  enough I don't panic on aircraft which comprises of both to a degree. 

Same same, except I dont have a problem with claustrophobia. I have come to the the realisation that it might be more a fear of falling rather than height. I don't like stepping out on balconies or getting close to the windows in rooms with floor-to-ceiling windows.

No problem flying, I can't fit through the windows on airplanes, anyways. 🤣

I am generally scared of animals (especially dogs) taller than my knee height. I just dont trust them.

Heights  ....

even watching stuff on tv makes me edgy .... 

went to the stratosphere in Vegas on a stag do ... my friends went on the rides .. I couldn't even go outside to look 

I'm okay sitting down on an airplane , but I hate standing up when we are flying ... especially standing next to the doors ... I know it's not logical but it makes me very nervous .. and that's a recent thing over the last 15 years or so , I don't remember it being an issue before 🤷‍♂️

and rats ....horrible vermin 

I think most have a fear of heights to at least a limited extent. I see it more as a survival instinct than phobia.

It's a strange fear as put a rope on me and I have no trouble climbing a shear cliff face. Same with the years I spent piloting my sailplane. Never bothered by the fact there wasn't much more than a couple of layers of fiberglass keeping me from falling out the bottom of the plane.

• Thumbs Up 1

Instagram has loads and loads and loads of videos of young stupid people doing very highly dangerous stunts...

I am sure most of them will regret doing these things as they get older and smarter that is if they are not already dead....It gives me the creeps to even watch their stupidity on video......

4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I think most have a fear of heights to at least a limited extent. I see it more as a survival instinct than phobia.

It's a strange fear as put a rope on me and I have no trouble climbing a shear cliff face. Same with the years I spent piloting my sailplane. Never bothered by the fact there wasn't much more than a couple of layers of fiberglass keeping me from falling out the bottom of the plane.

I used to jump out of perfectly good airplanes, mostly Hercules C-130s for a living and then later as a hobby. Most people have a natural fear on the first jump, even when on a static line.

My first trainer/instructor got most of us over that fear simply bringing to our attention that the most dangerous part of the day was the ride out to plane and the ride back on public roads.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Trip said:

I used to jump out of perfectly good airplanes, mostly Hercules C-130s for a living and then later as a hobby. Most people have a natural fear on the first jump, even when on a static line.

My first trainer/instructor got most of us over that fear simply bringing to our attention that the most dangerous part of the day was the ride out to plane and the ride back on public roads.

I remember the exit sign at my home airport said "Buckle Up You're Leaving The Safety Of The Airport".

I did a couple of static line jumps as I wore an emergency chute when I flew my sailplane. Figured it be more useful if I knew how to use it. :default_biggrin: I remember the first jump was sensory overload, but the 2nd and 3rd jumps I was more relaxed and was able to enjoy the view as I floated back to earth.

• Like 1

I don't like spiders. I could not pick one up so I suppose that counts as a phobia.

I watched a U-tube video of some guy running along the "Knife Edge" leading up to the top of Snowdon mountain in Wales. Sheer drop on either side and the guy was insane. I could not watch it and had to change the station. It actually gave me vertigo just watching him and took me 5 minutes or so to feel normal again.

Is "touching wood" for luck a reverse phobia? 😄

Well, I have no real fear of heights but do have a healthy respect - my former career involved climbing and working on radio towers up to 400' tall, and climbing countless wooden poles as well with climbing hooks and gear; and in those days we didn't have any real fall-arrest gear like workers are so encumbered with nowadays - with today's gear you won't fall but you pay the price with limited mobility once you are up there. Hey, when you are young it's gung-ho and away we go - ironic that the only fatality we ever had on a tower during my day was on a contractor's crew after they took the work away from us because they would have had to give us all a week-long certification course every year once the safety rules really came down hard. 

Otherwise I will admit to a distaste for water because I never learned to swim - also in my part of the world "wet" generally means "cold and wet" because the natural waters are barely above freezing year-round, being fed by glaciers up in the mountains. I'll also admit to a growing phobia of going to big supermarkets locally to do my shopping - this town has grown so fast and continues to do so that it is a real zoo downtown these days and I simply haven't the patience to fight heavy  traffic, crowds and long queues in the checkout lanes - I'll do my "commando shopping" in the early morning just after the stores open - know your objective, reach it, and withdraw while you can still find a parking space, lol...

As for skydiving, I tried a tandem jump years ago in Palm Springs - I paid extra to go up to 12000' rather than the standard 8000';  the freefall part of it was fun and I was complimented later by the pilot on my lack of hesitation leaving the plane, but once the chute popped the resulting lurch aggravated my natural tendency for motion sickness and I was nauseous all the rest of the way down for what should have been the most pleasant part of the experience - never did try it again. Speaking of which, the sea and me do not agree - I will avoid outings in small boats because of my tendency towards seasickness. 

• Like 1