Pattaya floating market fire

Phantom51red

3 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

Just been reading on social media.

Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 21.26.29.png

Thanks for the post. I was supposed to be driving through there early tomorrow morning in route to a memorial wake. Looks like I need to consult Google Maps in the AM for an alternative route.

For those out of town or who do not normally drive this route, the North Bound traffic on Sukhumvit has been a real shit show due to construction leading into Chiyapruek and thru Boon Kachana. Although the fire is on the South side traffic side of the street, I assume there will be gapper blocks worsening what is already a bad situation.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sorry to be a curmudgeon, but looking to the long run, I am not unhappy that this particular tourist trap is going to be gone. I have never been, having been warned off by more experienced ex-pats, but I heard that it is/was just a tourist rip off.

It also was a potential traffic accident area with all of the large Buses and VIP taxis crowding the road just South of the Jomtien Second Road merge. Glad it is going to be gone in the long run.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

31 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Sorry to be a curmudgeon, but looking to the long run, I am not unhappy that this particular tourist trap is going to be gone. I have never been, having been warned off by more experienced ex-pats, but I heard that it is/was just a tourist rip off.

It also was a potential traffic accident area with all of the large Buses and VIP taxis crowding the road just South of the Jomtien Second Road merge. Glad it is going to be gone in the long run.

I went there 3 times when it was free....

For free it was ok......And worth the price....

But...Then they started charging farangs 200 baht and Free for Thais...

So I never went again...

It was mildly interesting.....But a One and done kind of place...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I guess its the new world that I have yet to embrace  but reading numerous comments of " glad its gone, it was a rip off, I never actually went there"  make me titter.

ripleys, the underwterworld, all those places are for regular tourists and the Thais love them.  its their city after all, and for newbies, it wasnt a bad place to go and take pics.

as to parking coach traffic, the coach park is on the railway road behind it and not really in front.

or was

anyway its charcoal now.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

That was the worst thing about it,traffic,sure that those that have to make the commute everyday past it will be pleased.

Went one time when it was free,never went back but drove past many a time.

Went one time with the wife, it was 2009. 

I think we had a good time, maybe because we were so much in love (about 1.5 years together at that time).

Though it didn't make that much of impression to us, as we never bothered going back, even when friends or the inlaws were visiting several times. There are better places to go.

Regarding @tommy dee " as to parking coach traffic, the coach park is on the railway road behind it and not really in front." Yes, parking was behind but many if not all busses unloaded their passengers on Sukhumvit which caused many times all except one of the lanes being blocked by busses. Maybe some didn't bother to park in the back. Could have been better organized....as so many things in Thailand.

What happened to that shy, cute girl? I see a forced diet coming up:

DSCN0334.JPG

DSCN0336.JPG

DSCN0349.JPG

DSCN0350.JPG

DSCN0352.JPG

DSCN0354.JPG

DSCN0355.JPG

• Like 4

16 hours ago, tommy dee said:

I guess its the new world that I have yet to embrace  but reading numerous comments of " glad its gone, it was a rip off, I never actually went there"  make me titter.

ripleys, the underwterworld, all those places are for regular tourists and the Thais love them.  its their city after all, and for newbies, it wasnt a bad place to go and take pics.

as to parking coach traffic, the coach park is on the railway road behind it and not really in front.

or was

anyway its charcoal now.  🙂

Come on Tom.

There are some excellent tourist attractions in and around Pattaya enjoyed by all whether Thai or farlang.

This just was not one of them.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, CampariO said:

Regarding @tommy dee " as to parking coach traffic, the coach park is on the railway road behind it and not really in front." Yes, parking was behind but many if not all busses unloaded their passengers on Sukhumvit which caused many times all except one of the lanes being blocked by busses. Maybe some didn't bother to park in the back. Could have been better organized....as so many things in Thailand.

Gotta agree. I end up driving through this area several times a week and the buses unload (oops used to) in front and fully take advantage of their mass superiority.

Went one time a few years ago, couldn't wait to leave, wife's relatives took us.

Overpriced tat, i suppose if you were new to Thailand and thought it was in anyway 'authentic' you might have enjoyed it.

To each their own, and all that ...

Edited by Krapow
  • Thumbs Up 2