Grandma's Favorites

Glasseye

2 hours ago, Zambo said:

I was going to complain you've used the wrong name, but it turns out not. I will explain:

Most even-toed ungulates (such as sheep, goats, deer, cattle, bison and pigs) have two main hooves on each foot, together called a cloven hoof.

But from a culinary point of view hoof doesn't sound very appetising (cloven hoof even worse).

Depending on the region or country can be feet or trotters.

Yes, we called them pigs trotters too, I think it's a Black Country delicacy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, richy65 said:

Yes, we called them pigs trotters too, I think it's a Black Country delicacy

Years ago the butchers couldn’t give pigs trotters away, now they are sold in top restaurants around the world. 
A bit like when oysters were the poor man’s food, look at the prices now. 
Back then animal offal was always on the menu at home, along with roasted sheep’s heart etc. 
As a kid, I remember eating them along with all kinds of offal like sheep hearts and intestines and my favourite, Brawn made from a sheep’s head. Mum would boil a sheep’s head up in a huge pot and leave it to cool before picking off the meat and setting it together with some fresh herbs in jelly made from the cooking juices. 
A slice of it with some pickled veggies and bread and butter for tea. 🏆🥇

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

Years ago the butchers couldn’t give pigs trotters away, now they are sold in top restaurants around the world. 
A bit like when oysters were the poor man’s food, look at the prices now. 
Back then animal offal was always on the menu at home, along with roasted sheep’s heart etc. 
As a kid, I remember eating them along with all kinds of offal like sheep hearts and intestines and my favourite, Brawn made from a sheep’s head. Mum would boil a sheep’s head up in a huge pot and leave it to cool before picking off the meat and setting it together with some fresh herbs in jelly made from the cooking juices. 
A slice of it with some pickled veggies and bread and butter for tea. 🏆🥇

Nothing was wasted back then. I think Nan used to boil the pigs trotters for a long time until the meat was nice and tender, still had tiny hairs on it but very tasty 😋 

• Thumbs Up 2

39 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

Mum would boil a sheep’s head up in a huge pot and leave it to cool before picking off the meat 

Reminds me of an old joke from 30 years ago.

3 guys at work discussing their planned Xmas dinner during their break. One says he's having roast turkey as usual. The second says his wife has decided to roast a goose for a change from the usual routine. The third smiles and says "my wife's got a pigs head".

"Yes we know that but no need to bring up your problems every lunch break"

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, richy65 said:

Nothing was wasted back then. I think Nan used to boil the pigs trotters for a long time until the meat was nice and tender, still had tiny hairs on it but very tasty 😋 

My brother in law was a butcher and one day he was asked how much waste was there in a pig. He replied “nothing, I even save all the pigs squeaks and squeals and put them in that box over there and when it is full up, I sell them to Ford for their brakes”. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I still buy Trotters and pork hock from the butcher. Usually it's £1 for the trotters and £2 for the hock / knuckle. I then boil them in a pot for a few hours with herbs, remove, (keep the broth) and air fry to make them crispy. Add some Pinakurat dipping sauce (filipino version of Nam jim jaew) and its great food to eat with a few beers.

The broth is fine as bone broth on its own, but I also use it as pork stock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1