Grandma's Favorites

Glasseye

My Nana always used to enjoy watching a "weepie" movie. She told me once that you can tell how good a movie is by the amount of tissues you get through.

I apply that exact same criteria to the films I watch in private, today.

• Haha 5

Unfortunately, living half a world away, I only ever met my English and German grandmothers a couple of times in my life as a child so don't have many memories of them; but I recall my English mother once telling me that when Gran would take her shopping as a child she'd often stop into a pub for a pint of Guiness along the way - "It's good for the digestion, dear"....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Can't remember anything my grandmas made that hits a high note but my mother got grannies cook book and her bacon roly poly and cauliflower cheese were to die for.

Still got the book in the loft somewhere, need to get that down.

Bring it down with the laptop!

• Haha 1

Never met most of my grandparents except my maternal grandfather. He was a cantankerous bastard that kept his family in penury most of their lives. He’d think nothing of getting pissed in the pub and sell their house and come home to tell them at midnight to pack up everything onto a horse and cart because they were moving to another property. 
He spent a fortune on drinks for everyone (except his wife) down the pub and any pretty barmaid got showered with gifts galore. 
He came to stay for Christmas once and sat by the fire with a bottle of scotch and dry ginger, a cigar in his mouth, all of which my mother had purchased for him. He did nothing but growl and chastise us kids as we played with our Christmas toys in the sittingI room.
Mother had had enough and tore into him and said if he didn’t shut up she would personally chuck him out the house, never to return. 
I’d never seen my mother so angry as she was that day and I don’t think he had either and he realised he’d crossed the mark with her in her own house and for the rest of the day he kept his mouth shut. 
In later years, mother told us just how bad it was living with him all those years. 
After that I only saw him a couple of time as he lived with his daughter, (my aunty) and speaking to her when I was a teenager, she told me just how bad he could be. 
He lived until he was 91 and was a bastard to his 2 daughters right up to when a stroke took him. 
I hope I’m a much better grandfather to my sons children if I live that long. 

But if I were ever to shower expensive gifts on any barmaid as he did, my wife will ensure I don’t. 🤣

Edited by KhunDon
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

Never met most of my grandparents except my maternal grandfather. He was a cantankerous bastard that kept his family in penury most of their lives. He’d think nothing of getting pissed in the pub and sell their house and come home to tell them at midnight to pack up everything onto a horse and cart because they were moving to another property. 
He spent a fortune on drinks for everyone (except his wife) down the pub and any pretty barmaid got showered with gifts galore. 
He came to stay for Christmas once and sat by the fire with a bottle of scotch and dry ginger, a cigar in his mouth, all of which my mother had purchased for him. He did nothing but growl and chastise us kids as we played with our Christmas toys in the sittingI room.
Mother had had enough and tore into him and said if he didn’t shut up she would personally chuck him out the house, never to return. 
I’d never seen my mother so angry as she was that day and I don’t think he had either and he realised he’d crossed the mark with her in her own house and for the rest of the day he kept his mouth shut. 
In later years, mother told us just how bad it was living with him all those years. 
After that I only saw him a couple of time as he lived with his daughter, (my aunty) and speaking to her when I was a teenager, she told me just how bad he could be. 
He lived until he was 91 and was a bastard to his 2 daughters right up to when a stroke took him. 
I hope I’m a much better grandfather to my sons children if I live that long. 

But if I were ever to shower expensive gifts on any barmaid as he did, my wife will ensure I don’t. 🤣

Thanks for sharing mate. I reckon she didn't do a whole lot of fancy cooking then. 

Just now, Glasseye said:

Thanks for sharing mate. I reckon she didn't do a whole lot of fancy cooking then. 

Actually she was a head cook for two big hotels owned by the same family. But yes, home cooked meals back in the 50’s-60’s were nothing like today, mainly because the ingredients used today weren’t available back then. But the dishes she cooked back then were always nutritious and filled us up. 
Her Sunday roasts were legendary, especially as all the family got to sit down to eat together, unlike today, where everyone seems too busy with both parents working different hours etc. 

Eating together as a family is something my wife and I insist on doing, as neither of us have to work, so rarely do we eat at separate times. Mainly a mixture of English or Thai meals, depending on which of us is cooking on the day.
I’m a dab hand at roasts. 🤗

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

Actually she was a head cook for two big hotels owned by the same family. But yes, home cooked meals back in the 50’s-60’s were nothing like today, mainly because the ingredients used today weren’t available back then. But the dishes she cooked back then were always nutritious and filled us up. 
Her Sunday roasts were legendary, especially as all the family got to sit down to eat together, unlike today, where everyone seems too busy with both parents working different hours etc. 

Eating together as a family is something my wife and I insist on doing, as neither of us have to work, so rarely do we eat at separate times. Mainly a mixture of English or Thai meals, depending on which of us is cooking on the day.
I’m a dab hand at roasts. 🤗

Now that's a winner. I'm glad things sorted out as they did. Diversity in meal presentation can be an enjoyable thing, and a good learning opportunity for all who partake.

Those memories of watching Grandma laying out those dumplings on the floured counter top, the apple pies sitting near by, will stick with me for as long as I live. I wouldn't give them up for the World.

• Thanks 1

My father's parents were Norwegian immigrants. They owned and worked a farm near the small farming community of Ossian, IA. The only relatives I enjoyed visting was when we'd pack up the car for the trip from Milwaukee to Ossian to visit them. As a city boy it was great fun to be turned lose to explore their 40 acre farm and the surrounding farms. They even had a swimming hole in a small creek that ran through their property.

I don't know if it was my grandma's favorite, but my favorite was when she made lefse for us. Basically a thin potato pancake you spread butter and sugar on, roll up and eat. 

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

My father's parents were Norwegian immigrants. They owned and worked a farm near the small farming community of Ossian, IA. The only relatives I enjoyed visting was when we'd pack up the car for the trip from Milwaukee to Ossian to visit them. As a city boy it was great fun to be turned lose to explore their 40 acre farm and the surrounding farms. They even had a swimming hole in a small creek that ran through their property.

I don't know if it was my grandma's favorite, but my favorite was when she made lefse for us. Basically a thin potato pancake you spread butter and sugar on, roll up and eat. 

image.jpeg

Did you watch the HBO series "Fargo" ?

On 10/6/2023 at 7:46 PM, richy65 said:

Pigs feet, lovely 😋

I was going to complain you've used the wrong name, but it turns out not. I will explain:

Most even-toed ungulates (such as sheep, goats, deer, cattle, bison and pigs) have two main hooves on each foot, together called a cloven hoof.

But from a culinary point of view hoof doesn't sound very appetising (cloven hoof even worse).

Depending on the region or country can be feet or trotters.

• Like 1