What's the deal with loading pics now?

Yessongs

I tried to upload a trip report that contains more then 19MB photos total size. 

It will only let me upload 2 pics at a time, get an error message now? 

If that is the case, then no since in posting 2 pics at a time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yessongs said:

I tried to upload a trip report that contains more then 19MB photos total size. 

It will only let me upload 2 pics at a time, get an error message now? 

If that is the case, then no since in posting 2 pics at a time. 

Resize your pics?  19MB would be 177 photos of this quality.

ay meal 02.jpg

And I noticed when I was uploading the 19.53MB limit so it's not just you.  Didn't you get a new camera recently?

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1

@KWA Thanks for the help, yeah that is the first thing I tried when I got this message, reducing file size. With this camera, the file size is bigger as it is not a camera phone, but a DSLR. I reduced to 50%, still not small enough. I reduced to 75% and it is better and I tried an upload and could upload about 25 pics. I have 125 of Phuket. Perhaps 25 at a time, do 5 different replies on the same thread. I will try to figure something out....I could not get any of those files to reduce to 107 KB like you did. 

Again, thanks for your help. 

@Krapow These gals were from Germany, they were really nice, they like you don't drink alcohol. Would you be interested in a "3 some" ?  Unfortunately Mom is part of the package deal. I am always here to help you.  

IMG_1032.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I just tried to upload 10 pics , as I would normally do in a TR ... I got the same message 

IMG_6474.png

Something must have changed recently @john luke @tommy dee

Thanks for the notification.

Unfortunately, the issue is one that only Admin can address.  I am speculating but I think there was a forum upgrade at some point last week.  One of the defaults on the upgraded software is likely to be a restriction on the 'size' of the total number of photographs posted at any one time.  

Whilst resizing photographs is a possible solution, there is of course a compromise in that the smaller the image size, the lower the overall quality of the photographs.  

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, john luke said:

Whilst resizing photographs is a possible solution, there is of course a compromise in that the smaller the image size, the lower the overall quality of the photographs.  

If you go too low on the resolution/file size then pic quality becomes an issue. But comparing pics uploaded at a resolution of 1600x1200 vs higher to full resolution I can't see a difference on my large monitor screen.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A photo's file size is important if you plan to print it or display it on a large screen. A large size preserves detail and sharpness.  However, for viewing on a Web forum, the photo can be reduced significantly because the human eye can't distinguish a difference at Web resolution.

The top photo had a file size of 18.4MB and a pixel size of 3100 x 2071.

a.png

The same photo below, reduced with PhotoShop's "Save for Web" function, is 312KB with pixel dimensions of 960 x 640.

b.png

Anyone see much difference?

Evil

Just to add one more example- the photo below was reduced to 960 x 640 in the Paint app that's included in Windows.  The file size is 1.7MB, which is down considerably from the 18.4MB of the original but still much bigger than the 312KB of the PhotoShop reduction.

c.png

In terms of viewing photos on Thailand-247, the quality doesn't appear to suffer much from extreme reductions in file size.

Evil

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

Most of us just load pics from a phone or a tablet .... it would be a complete ball-ache to have to resize them ... it will just mean less pics and TRs get posted 

hopefully one of the admins can sort out 

Yup. 

• Thumbs Up 1

the above alloaded v quickly, but are of course not huge files.  that the issue on all forums,  storage capacity management,  not b us but by the software

you can set the quality on your camera or phone.  most, like me, leave at the best of the best but thats also eating up phone memory.

this a far larger file so lets see what happens

background_cli.bmp

so it still uploads, but in this case when you click the icon, it downloads to YOUR phone or PC, for you to see.

I cant fix that..  but can at least explain.  as someone here wise than me pointed out.  resisizng is the best way and save as JPG then you wont have a problem.  a a bitmap file is always massive