Cargo Ship Crashes into Baltimore (US) Bridge

lazarus

video on teaching navigation skills to captains of very large cargo vessels traversing narrow and congested waterways. Trainees drive 1:24 scale vessels with realistic performance characteristics.

• Great Info 1

3 hours ago, Lantern said:

The speed of it hitting the water after the collision surprised me. Just a few seconds.

A truss bridge design is a careful balance of compression and tension on the trusses. Take out a key part of the bridge, like happened in the collision, and the whole thing will come crashing down like a house of cards in seconds.

image.png

image.jpeg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truss_bridge

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Cleanup operations have started on clearing the channel.

El Capitano will have a bit of splaining to do. I'd hate to be in his shoes right now. They are probably full of doo doo.

19 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

El Capitano will have a bit of splaining to do. I'd hate to be in his shoes right now. They are probably full of doo doo.

Yes. As Captain he will.

But if its power failure as has been suggested, what could he do ?

1 hour ago, Zeb said:

Yes. As Captain he will.

But if its power failure as has been suggested, what could he do ?

The pilot will have to do at least as much explaining, unless it is a power failure, which the captain may have to explain as the person responsible.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Freee!! said:

The pilot will have to do at least as much explaining, unless it is a power failure, which the captain may have to explain as the person responsible.

Maybe it was a terrorist cyber attack. No explanation by the captain required then. 

I am by far,  no Maritime expert, but I am wondering  why the tugboats make such limited journeys to steer large vessels out of the port to sea? 

Had they remained steering the vessel under the bridge, then even after  ship's  mechanical/electrical  failure,  a crash could have been  avoided. 

No doubt, when after the coming months of clean up and salvage, H&S rules will be tightened up considerably. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I am by far,  no Maritime expert, but I am wondering  why the tugboats make such limited journeys to steer large vessels out of the port to sea? 

Had they remained steering the vessel under the bridge, then even after  ship's  mechanical/electrical  failure,  a crash could have been  avoided. 

No doubt, when after the coming months of clean up and salvage, H&S rules will be tightened up considerably. 

The answer to that question is money.

• Thumbs Up 1

While we still have the luxury of speculation, the following video makes some interesting points.

The video is painful to watch, you'll see why if you do, so I'll summarize the mail points.

Ships do have an emergency/auxiliary generator located in a separate compartment isolated from the engine room. Why? Because it powers the engine room fire fighting pumps. It also supplies electrical power for steering.

The propeller of a ship turns in a clockwise direction when viewed from the rear of the ship looking forward. As well as driving the ship forward there is a "paddle wheel" effect which pulls the stern to starboard and thus the bow to port.

When the ship is going astern the effect is reversed, the stern is pulled to port and the bow to starboard.

In the video of the incident, second video, approximately 4 seconds after electrical power is restored following the first power outage thick black smoke is seen coming from the exhaust. Speculation from the first video is that the ship was put into full reverse which would swing the bow to starboard which is what videos of the incident show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEzDh4RwpaM   (This video can't be embedded)

On 3/28/2024 at 1:46 PM, tommy dee said:

Please dont turn this thread t a political one,   thanks

Hi Tommy,

I will be a good soldier and not politicize this thread. On the other hand, this is becoming a highly politicized topic. I will likely open a separate thread (or add to an existing one) over in US Politics.

8 minutes ago, East is West said:

Surprised was not stated , I heard something different whether  true no idea.

As far as I know, the rule world wide is that pilots have the nationality of the waterway (singular!) they navigate. The only exception to this rule I know off is in case of a shared waterway on the border. On the Westerschelde (Netherlands), there are also Belgian pilots for the Belgian ports of Antwerp and Ghent.

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting interview that highlights how long it takes to become a maritime pilot and how well trained they are.

I’ve captained ships into tight ports like Baltimore, and this is how captains like me work with harbor pilots to avoid deadly collisions

Can you describe the training of a ship pilot?

Post: Most of them start out at a maritime academy and have to spend many years at sea in command or as a bridge watch-stander on a vessel. From there, they start into the pilot apprentice program that each one of the pilot associations has, and those programs last years. What they do in those programs is use simulators and real, actual hands-on training, so that they can see how the different ships maneuver, how different places along the route have different currents and tides, and how the channels affect the ships.

It’s not something that you can go to a sea school for three weeks to learn and then come out and be a pilot. It’s many years long. They’re really the surgeons of the sea.

So when a ship’s pilot shows up, they’re going to be someone with a minimum of how many years training before they even get onto your ship?

Post: Many have 10-plus years before they are allowed to work on their own.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

20 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

As far as I know, the rule world wide is that pilots have the nationality of the waterway (singular!) they navigate. The only exception to this rule I know off is in case of a shared waterway on the border. On the Westerschelde (Netherlands), there are also Belgian pilots for the Belgian ports of Antwerp and Ghent.

I don't think they would have to be US citizens (could we wrong but in Singapore they wouldn't have to be Singaporean) but they would have to be work permit holders and have the required length of experience.

3 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Many have 10-plus years before they are allowed to work on their own.

That is 10-plus years as apprentice pilot, so add another 10-plus years prior to that on the bridge.

Just now, Zambo said:

I don't think they would have to be US citizens (could we wrong but in Singapore they wouldn't have to be Singaporean) but they would have to be work permit holders and have the required length of experience.

Singapore might be an exception due to lack of sufficient qualified nationals for the job.

Just now, Freee!! said:

Singapore might be an exception due to lack of sufficient qualified nationals for the job.

Yes i think that's likely, about 35% of the workforce in Singapore is foreigners.