Soi Pothole

dcfc2007

14 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I have been staying on Pothole for the past 4 nights. My room has been facing the street and has been quiet all hours, but yesterday I had to move room because my passport was delayed a day.

I ended up on "the back" facing soi excyte complex.. The room had the same PVC Double glazing as the front but the band kept me awake until 3am...Obviously a police owned bar to get away with playing that loud for that long!!

My advice to all... don't accept a cheap room on Pothole, at the back, facing Soi Excyte ...I'm f***d now with the lack of sleep and the walk home (And cleaning the rat maggot porridge up too) !!!!!

Like me, you seem to be very sensitive to noise or a light sleeper (I'm both). For the last 20 years I have to wear earplugs in bed at night, because otherwise the slightest noise wakes me up.

I once stayed in the Flipper on Soi 8 at the front, in the days when Soi 8 went through to the early hours., same for the penthouse , I lasted 3 nights before moving to Jomtien!.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Butch said:

Like me, you seem to be very sensitive to noise or a light sleeper (I'm both). For the last 20 years I have to wear earplugs in bed at night, because otherwise the slightest noise wakes me up.

I am 100% deaf in my left ear and down to about 75% hearing in my right ear ...

Edited by Derek Dangleberries

5 hours ago, Butch said:

I once stayed in the Flipper on Soi 8 at the front, in the days when Soi 8 went through to the early hours., same for the penthouse , I lasted 3 nights before moving to Jomtien!.

I'm also a light sleeper. I run a wall mounted fan at night, both for the comfort it provides and for the white noise it generates. The white noise helps block out all but the loudest sounds.

• Thumbs Up 2

21 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I am 100% deaf in my left ear and down to about 75% hearing in my right ear ...

I'm guessing I know the reason why. You're not alone, my Dad's totally mutt in his right ear. SLR's & FN's not designed for stealth and silent operation, neither were the Sterling SMG's.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

The current state of Soi Pothole.
P2020016.jpg

P2020020.jpg

P2020024.jpg

Happy to see my fur faced budy, Mum, is looking fit and well taken care of.
P2020030.jpg

P2020032.jpg

P2020026.jpg

Does it count if it hasn't been raining and they're not full of water so you can't tell how deep they are?

I notice the dog appears to be trying to do his bit.

On 2/2/2024 at 10:51 AM, fygjam said:

Does it count if it hasn't been raining and they're not full of water so you can't tell how deep they are?

I notice the dog appears to be trying to do his bit.

One of the classic - grimiest places on Earth. But, got to love it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Soi Pothole isn't much worse for wear compared to the pics from earlier this month. That will change once the rains return.

P2230007.jpg

P2230008.jpg

P2230010.jpg

P2230013.jpg

P2230018.jpg

P2230021.jpg

P2230025.jpg

P2230027.jpg

For some reason I always get a slight woody when I see pics of Soi Pothole.

• Haha 1

As older businesses close on Soi Pothole there is always someone ready to buy, renovate and open it as a new bar. The soi appears to be saturated with bars, most appear to me not to be covering their overheads. 

I was in Pattaya December/January, high season allegedly, ok there are punters around but most bars were empty or had just a few customers at most. A birthday party might bring in a busy evening with many balloon chasers but next night it is back to normal (dead), how do they survive? 

I spend most of my drinking time in Soi Pothole, I do like the place but wonder how the bars will fare during the low season.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

57 minutes ago, RomaBob said:

As older businesses close on Soi Pothole there is always someone ready to buy, renovate and open it as a new bar. The soi appears to be saturated with bars, most appear to me not to be covering their overheads. 

I was in Pattaya December/January, high season allegedly, ok there are punters around but most bars were empty or had just a few customers at most. A birthday party might bring in a busy evening with many balloon chasers but next night it is back to normal (dead), how do they survive? 

I spend most of my drinking time in Soi Pothole, I do like the place but wonder how the bars will fare during the low season.

One might consider an  empty bar to be a successful bar if its main business is getting their staff barfined and customers using their ST/LT rooms ... Pothole is not really a tourist destination so I don't think it suffers as much during Low Season. 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2

3 hours ago, RomaBob said:

Fair point you make there. I think rents are going up on the Soi as it becomes more popular, there's a BM here who had a premises there for years who can probably attest to that ( @Daveo  )

As margins are squeezed on the high volume products such as Chang, SM Light and Singha nowadays, it does make you wonder how they'll survive. I think the popular bars will always have an Expat loyalty but whether that's enough to pay the bills during low season is anyone's guess.

Like yourself I enjoy afternoons down Pothole, Dive bar being a firm favourite and Maggie Mays also. There are a couple of bad eggs among them however, myself and @Nightcrawler went into a bar called "Green Lantern" and found that a JD coke was just over 200 baht. Never went back.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1
  • Surprised 1

4 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Don't miss Crazy Dave's . English breakfast and Only fools and horses, one repeats and the other on a constant loop- hell.

Loved Canterbury Tales 

I really liked the Canterbury Tales, but only went in on a handful of occasions. I do recall sitting down once and the conversation on another table being about how long a bloke was in one of the massage places opposite.

Never went to Crazy Daves. Didn't the Canadian conman "Harris Black" do part of a commercial for them once?.

• Thumbs Up 1

Consider myself lucky to have found Canterbury Tales during a walkabout on my first trip to Patts in 2007. Ended up having the 99Baht breakfast most mornings.

Thought Dave and I got on reasonably well so stayed there a number of times on future trips. Had the room next to the Triangle bar, so luckily I can sleep through most things. Even the singing out of key.

Did eat at Crazy Daves a couple of times. The Rhubarb and Custard was a flash back to my youth in the North of the UK, and of course "Only Fools and Horses" was one of the best UK comedy shows made.

Thought a few times, when looking up or down Soi Chiyapoon, you could spend the entire holiday on this Soi and never have to venture to any other part of Pattaya.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Butch said:

Never went to Crazy Daves. Didn't the Canadian conman "Harris Black" do part of a commercial for them once?.

No idea 🙂. You did get to overhear some classic conversations from the guys who'd sit out front of Canterbury Tales. 

Seemed a popular gathering point for local expats putting the world to rights!

Edited by Lemondropkid

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...