Soi Pothole

dcfc2007

On 5/29/2022 at 9:47 AM, bob lt said:

I try to avoid the holes there 

On 5/29/2022 at 12:40 PM, forcebwithu said:

Let the betting begin on how long the repair lasts...

I walked passed there this morning and it had hardened quite nicely and had the protection removed.

Although I must say that I only looked but didn't touch !!!!

Perhaps @forcebwithu can take a photo of him rubbing it to see how hard it is ....

• Haha 1

I'm sure Soi Pothole is better than it was a few years ago, even with questionable repairs. Back in 16/17 I turned my ankle walking up there, it was bloody hazardous.

As mentioned, it'll never be fixed until the underlying cause is addressed. The Soi was never meant for heavy traffic, and was probably built like many others, a bit of hardcore to base then chuck a couple of inches of Asphalt over the top. Happy days.

Still, have any new bars appeared on the Soi? . I noticed a vlogger walking down there the other week and it seemed to be getting busier.

4 hours ago, Butch said:

Still, have any new bars appeared on the Soi? . I noticed a vlogger walking down there the other week and it seemed to be getting busier.

Quite a few new bars have appeared on the soi over the last couple of years. Several that were once massage shops. There's also a couple of new bars on the L shaped alley between Soi Pothole and Buakhao (Epic Bar, Secrets Lounge and Bua Beer Bar). The area is much busier with a lot more foot traffic, and unfortunately more vehicle traffic.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

8 hours ago, Butch said:

I'm sure Soi Pothole is better than it was a few years ago, even with questionable repairs. Back in 16/17 I turned my ankle walking up there, it was bloody hazardous.

As mentioned, it'll never be fixed until the underlying cause is addressed. The Soi was never meant for heavy traffic, and was probably built like many others, a bit of hardcore to base then chuck a couple of inches of Asphalt over the top. Happy days.

Yeah.  I couple years before Covid I decided to check it out.  I didn't see a thing, I was looking to where I put my next step so intently.  I could hear girls call out but got to 3rd, turned to Lengkee, and haven't been back.

• Like 1

I found driving a motorcycle up that street at night was like a minefield. The lighting wasn't too bad at the Triangle end, but gradually got darker and darker and less easy to navigate the potholes, especially after a heavy rainfall. . I think the Soi is still privately own although I may be wrong. It's too narrow, poorly lit and poorly maintained. Also quite smelly. 

Will be interesting to see what it's like in a few months time. It's old and doesn't seem to support the infrastructure for nightlife and heavier foot traffic, let alone cars, lorries and bikes etc, unlike Lengkee or even LK. Soi excite is much wider and has speed humps but less bar activity or at least it was. 

Shame really, as its situated close to Soi Buakhao, LK, Lengkee and Diana yet looks so obviously the poor relation. To widen the Soi would need a major investment and demolition of the old buildings on probably either side and I could never see that happening. It certainly wasn't designed for modern two way traffic and probably delivery trucks do the most damage to the fragile road surface. 

All that said, its still more exciting than the side roads where I live. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I found driving a motorcycle up that street at night was like a minefield. The lighting wasn't too bad at the Triangle end, but gradually got darker and darker and less easy to navigate the potholes, especially after a heavy rainfall. . I think the Soi is still privately own although I may be wrong. It's too narrow, poorly lit and poorly maintained. Also quite smelly. 

Will be interesting to see what it's like in a few months time. It's old and doesn't seem to support the infrastructure for nightlife and heavier foot traffic, let alone cars, lorries and bikes etc, unlike Lengkee or even LK. Soi excite is much wider and has speed humps but less bar activity or at least it was. 

Shame really, as its situated close to Soi Buakhao, LK, Lengkee and Diana yet looks so obviously the poor relation. To widen the Soi would need a major investment and demolition of the old buildings on probably either side and I could never see that happening. It certainly wasn't designed for modern two way traffic and probably delivery trucks do the most damage to the fragile road surface. 

All that said, its still more exciting than the side roads where I live. 

That's true of many side sois I think, but Pothole seems to suffer very badly, a lot of traffic coming from the "Hellfire pass" crossroads on Bukhao.

I also heard the same, it's a privately owned road, or something along the lines that the land owners need to foot the bill for maintenance, I might be well wrong on that though.

All said and done, I hope to see more bars opening along there, and as @forcebwithu mentioned, some new bars appearing on the "L Shaped alley" might also bode well in the medium to long term. There's definitely new investment creeping into the area, possibly business owners were reluctant to do so during Covid, but now that Pattaya seems to be opening up and moving forward, that investment will increase and speed up somewhat.

Maybe pothole could mirror Soi 6 in some ways.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Butch said:

Nope according to Mr.Flowers Soi 6 is it.... No other Soi worth investing in....He got rid of his non Soi 6 bars..

Edited by fforest
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Butch said:

That's true of many side sois I think, but Pothole seems to suffer very badly, a lot of traffic coming from the "Hellfire pass" crossroads on Bukhao.

I also heard the same, it's a privately owned road, or something along the lines that the land owners need to foot the bill for maintenance, I might be well wrong on that though.

All said and done, I hope to see more bars opening along there, and as @forcebwithu mentioned, some new bars appearing on the "L Shaped alley" might also bode well in the medium to long term. There's definitely new investment creeping into the area, possibly business owners were reluctant to do so during Covid, but now that Pattaya seems to be opening up and moving forward, that investment will increase and speed up somewhat.

I remember you being a keen and regular customer of both the Duangjai bar and Hunny Bunny bar in Soi Pothole. 

I hope they are still open for your next visit. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Butch said:

All said and done, I hope to see more bars opening along there, and as @forcebwithu mentioned, some new bars appearing on the "L Shaped alley" might also bode well in the medium to long term.

Funnily enough that was also a "soi pothole" but it was properly resurfaced about 10 years ago and is still looking good. I have started taking a walk up that way but nothing really takes my fancy at the time of day that I'm out and about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

I used to visit regularly to change my paperback novels.

And get a massage opposite.

My routine was similar - I'd browse through the Canterbury Tales bookshop and then retire to the Triangle Bar for a couple of cool ones while I watched the antics of the massage girls across the street...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, maipenrai said:

My routine was similar - I'd browse through the Canterbury Tales bookshop and then retire to the Triangle Bar for a couple of cool ones while I watched the antics of the massage girls across the street...

Those girls give just about the most crappy massages I have ever had...

But somehow the customer always leaves feeling happy...

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, fforest said:

Quite true from my experience. Although I am not keen on the massage side of things. It reminds me more of UK massage parlour where the massage itself is often not the purpose of the visit. 

I remember last time I had a few beers at the Triangle, alone, and my sights were focused on the massage place that was immediately opposite on the Chaiyapoon side. I decided to stroll across the road, and said to the girl I had  been watching, "I want massage". "up to you" she said and gave me an alternative price list, which I accepted😁😁

Hope those places dont disappear altogether, along with Crisp and Dry, my favourite Laundry shop. 

Soi Pothole still had a certain charm about it and always reminds me of Pattaya as it was when I first visited many years ago

*** I would not advice traditional Thai massage for any one suffering from Leprosy 😁

21 minutes ago, fforest said:

Agree on that. Easy enough, and part of the fun is to try different shops and ladies until you find one that gives you both a great massage and has you leaving with that happy feeling. I've had better luck in that department with the a couple of shops on Soi Xzyte.

17 hours ago, Jambo said:

I used to visit regularly to change my paperback novels.

And get a massage opposite.

16 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Amon's is no longer there but she has opened a bar further along the street next to Maggie Mays.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Lol, those repairs should last at least 3 days with any luck. 

Yep, better off just chucking a handful of gravel in there.

Watched a YT Video last night, the Soi itself seems to be doing nicely, bars and girls plus massage joints. Triangle bar has always been a great venue for an afternoon beer or two. According to one vlogger, some of the more mature ladies from Bamboo bar have migrated there.

3 hours ago, Butch said:

Watched a YT Video last night, the Soi itself seems to be doing nicely, bars and girls plus massage joints. Triangle bar has always been a great venue for an afternoon beer or two. According to one vlogger, some of the more mature ladies from Bamboo bar have migrated there.

I saw that Vlogger the one with the really boring voice ?

Triangle Bar busy every evening recently but I saw no Bamboo types ever ..... I reckon they've migrated to Treetown area personally.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Triangle Bar busy every evening recently but I saw no Bamboo types ever ..... I reckon they've migrated to Treetown area personally.

Yep that's him, he sounds like he's got all the energy of an asthmatic tortoise, so although his content is good, I change the speed to 1.25 in the settings so it doesn't take an age to get to the point.

• Haha 5

11 hours ago, Butch said:

I counted 37 bars on the Soi but see there have been a couple more added 

• Great Info 1

20 hours ago, nampla69 said:

"GRABaGRANNY" night at the Bamboo was the sort of thing you just had to do in Pattaya similar to a "SOAPY".  So much better alternatives on offer but one has to do it just to add a tick to the bucket list.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/7/2022 at 8:16 PM, nampla69 said:

lol.... I think I know the guy you are talking about. Sounds like the a born pervert.

• Haha 1