Pattaya Go-go bars, beer bars & restaurants (News closures and Updates)

john luke

4 hours ago, maipenrai said:

I had an errand to do near the corner of Pattaya Klang and 2nd Rd the other day and noted that the dogleg arcade that used to run through the building on the corner is now gone; the 2nd Rd end had a little bar called the "GinTonic Bar" that I used to drop into often, and was one of the last where I was able to sneak beer with the owners after Covid shut all the bars down:

Here's the 2nd Rd angle:

rsz_klang_market_.jpg

And here's the Klang angle, showing the tin barrier and empty space behind where the arcade used to be:

rsz_klang_dogleg_market.jpg

Used to cut through that Arcade often on my way back to August Suites, was a surprisingly popular little bar 🍺

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Used to cut through that Arcade often on my way back to August Suites, was a surprisingly popular little bar 🍺

Yes, and the public washrooms, although old and grungy, came in handy more than once too...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

10 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Yes, and the public washrooms, although old and grungy, came in handy more than once too...

Good point. Public washrooms and car parking are both difficult to find around the Pattaya Klang area. For both, BigC Extra and previously TOPS used to be my go to places.

My wife doesn't like to walk that far "in the mid-day heat" so she is well skilled at finding the smallest possible opening along Pattaya Klang road that i can attempt to parallel park into.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Blue Streak said:

Tiny update......

You mean little ol' me beat Dick Nean to the nicky's location?  😀

Was it just me? When the boss said the bars had been built offsite and were going to be put in situ finished,  did anyone else expect more than a plywood box with a countertop?

• Thumbs Up 5

9 hours ago, Painter said:

You mean little ol' me beat Dick Nean to the nicky's location?  😀

Was it just me? When the boss said the bars had been built offsite and were going to be put in situ finished,  did anyone else expect more than a plywood box with a countertop?

Quite a lot of marketing hype to sell the Las Vegas beer bar dream.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just curious, as I do not live in Pattaya but...with all these fancy/dancy new beer bars etc being opened, do any of you guys ever ask the owners directly if they make enough profit to keep going? Probably kind of a "taboo" subject, but after a while, I figured since alot of you guys go to these places alot....perhaps being either British or American ( assuming the owners are the same) they would kind of give you a peek into how they actually make it? 

I have been told for many years, at least in USA, that the mark up on alcohol is pretty profitable. 

10 hours ago, Painter said:

When the boss said the bars had been built offsite and were going to be put in situ finished,  did anyone else expect more than a plywood box with a countertop?

Suspect they will end up with some form of tiling affixed to the plywood....

1 hour ago, Yessongs said:

I have been told for many years, at least in USA, that the mark up on alcohol is pretty profitable. 

That's my understanding as well. A couple of friends in the bar business in Thailand that also serve food have told me that they could give away the food and that the booze most customers go through while eating more than makes up for it.

In other words, for these guys any way, the food is a loss leader and device to keep folks drinking in the place.

Same fellows say that often in Thailand the difference between a money making or losing operation is the landlord and lease arrangements.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Just curious, as I do not live in Pattaya but...with all these fancy/dancy new beer bars etc being opened, do any of you guys ever ask the owners directly if they make enough profit to keep going? Probably kind of a "taboo" subject, but after a while, I figured since alot of you guys go to these places alot....perhaps being either British or American ( assuming the owners are the same) they would kind of give you a peek into how they actually make it? 

As @Trip mentioned, the lease agreement and rents is partly the deal breaker on many venues. In typical fashion, if a bar is doing well and the area is growing and becoming successful, then the landlord will increase the rent after 3 years in line with what any empty venues in the same area are being offered for.

I've no idea what the bulk purchase price for say, a chang is, maybe 30 baht or 35 baht a bottle?. Draft is going to be even cheaper, but the horror stories I've heard has made me never want to drink cheap draft in a bar again unless I see it poured in front of me (TQ Beach Rd does this).

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Butch said:

As @Trip mentioned, the lease agreement and rents is partly the deal breaker on many venues. In typical fashion, if a bar is doing well and the area is growing and becoming successful, then the landlord will increase the rent after 3 years in line with what any empty venues in the same area are being offered for.

I've no idea what the bulk purchase price for say, a chang is, maybe 30 baht or 35 baht a bottle?. Draft is going to be even cheaper, but the horror stories I've heard has made me never want to drink cheap draft in a bar again unless I see it poured in front of me (TQ Beach Rd does this).

Well a true Cheap Charlie would never dream of drinking any thing but draft in a GoGo.....The thought of paying more for a bottle is just incomprehensible....

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 4

On 2/13/2024 at 11:49 PM, fforest said:

Well a true Cheap Charlie would never dream of drinking any thing but draft in a GoGo.....The thought of paying more for a bottle is just incomprehensible....

TQ is my only GGB exception. They used to serve draft beer (chang) in ice cold steins years ago, which was a welcome drop on a hot afternoon. Decent sized glasses as well.

Actually, TQ is one of the few bars in town apart from Hops (which is technically a restaurant) and Beer Hub where I'll order and drink the draft, purely because I can see it being poured.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Part 1 of 2, as pics are too big

On yesterday's early morning walk, @Yesitisdakid and I were only commenting on how sad it was that  this place had been closed for the past 6 months. The previous chap left shortly before I arrived in October. 

20240217_094036.jpg

Well, what do you know? Later that day machinery was heard, and the site had workers on it.

The motorbike taxi guys said "lesteront, thai fud, bergur"....

20240217_094058.jpg

20240217_104248.jpg

Edited by Painter
  • Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 2