What's your baht worth? Exchange rates on the street...

Painter

On 12/11/2019 at 12:51 PM, Krapow said:

I'll say no more on this, except I expect/hope the £ to be around 43/44 by the time I arrive on 1st January. 

I stand but this, as another big jump will come once the Bill is passed before Christmas, nevermind gradual heading up due to an end of the uncertainty. 

On 12/11/2019 at 12:51 PM, Krapow said:

That's your opinion.

Myself and John Ashworth think differently. 

Anyway, there is a Brexit thread already going, I'll say no more on this, except I expect/hope the £ to be around 43/44 by the time I arrive on 1st January. 

Why won't thais listen. 

Via the TW, her mother wanted to know when to exchange the £2k her brother had given her 2 years ago. I told the wife to tell her mum to wait until Friday at the soonest. 

So what happens?..... She exchanged the money 3 days ago! 

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, Aqualung said:

Why won't thais listen. 

Via the TW, her mother wanted to know when to exchange the £2k her brother had given her 2 years ago. I told the wife to tell her mum to wait until Friday at the soonest. 

So what happens?..... She exchanged the money 3 days ago! 

Yes but a hung parliament would have put us back at 37. Everythings easy with hindsight. What she should have done was pound cost average as I always advocate..... 1k before and now 1k after....would have ended up with an average around 40 or just over but shes still had a result at what 39.5 when considering 6 weeks ago we'd have bitten our hands off for that when it was 36.5 back then

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krapow said:

It'll steadily climb for a while now, as investment starts to come back, uncertainty done, the Withdrawal Agreement passed, well, until the next dramas unfold about the trade negotiations etc. 

Soon it will be back to 65b to the sterling pound and we can all become two week millionaires again 😂

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, tingtong2k said:

Soon it will be back to 65b to the sterling pound and we can all become two week millionaires again 😂

lol to get to 65 Sterling would have to be today $2.15  😂😂

Be nice I agree. I can see Sterling climbing back above $1.50 in 2020 though

21 minutes ago, RR007 said:

lol to get to 65 Sterling would have to be today $2.15  😂😂

Be nice I agree. I can see Sterling climbing back above $1.50 in 2020 though

I only want it to go up so that Apple will do a price adjustment and bring down the price of their MacBook 😂

The £ has been the world's strongest currency in recent months. 

Just got this email from my work Pension market update -

“Leave” won the 2016 EU referendum by a small majority, the Conservatives won the 2019 general election by a land slide. It was dubbed a Brexit vote, Labour brought a radical manifesto but the scale of the Conservative victory suggests the British public want to get Brexit done. At the time of writing (08:30), with just one seat left to be declared, the Conservative Party have gained 47 seats, whilst the Labour Party have lost 59.

Brexit has dominated many agendas for the past three years and led to political paralysis, Boris Johnson’s majority will almost certainly enable him to get his EU withdrawal agreement through parliament by the 31st January deadline.

Should the UK leave the EU in January, it will enter a transition period scheduled to last to December 2020. The transition period can be extended by a further two years however, Boris Johnson has pledged not to seek an extension. With such a large majority, the influence of opposition and factions within the Conservative party is significantly diminished, strengthening the prime ministers ability to control the agenda for negotiating future trade relations with the European Union.

Brexit has weighed on the British economy and the uncertainty has delayed many investment decisions. Polls were predicting a Conservative victory, and despite their track record of late, investor confidence was evident in the strength of the pound and a large rise in the flow into UK smaller company funds in the build up to the election. The pound reached a three year low in September but has been the world’s strongest currency in recent months. On the release of the exit polls last night the pound jumped nearly 3% versus the US dollar and 2% versus the Euro.

In terms of market impact, at the time of writing, the FTSE 100 is up just over 1% whilst the smaller, more domestically orientated, FTSE 250 index is up 4%. Many domestically focused companies within the FTSE 100 have rallied (such as the banks and house builders), so too have the utility companies and other companies at threat of nationalisation by the Labour Party.

The pound’s weakness since the Brexit vote has benefited many internationally focused businesses in the FTSE 100, as their offshore revenue is boosted when converted into pounds. Despite the rally in the pound this morning, reports last night that Donald Trump had signed a phase one agreement on trade with China, has provided support for many companies dependent on the state of the global economy.

Despite today’s Brexit breakthrough, Brexit will continue to dominate headlines in 2020, as the future trade relationship with Europe is decided and no doubt as today progresses, there will be more to report and we will provide a further update in our usual Weekly Market Summary.

**********, Fund Manager

• Great Info 3

On Thursday before the polls opened Transferwise offered 39, 587 baht for £1,000 GBP.  Shortly after the result was known this went to 40,377 baht then settled over the day to 40,100-ish.  With the usual reduction for the weekend it's now 39, 958, so the most I saw it at would have given me around 800 baht more on a £1,000 transaction.

For residents with UK sourced income it'll make a bit difference over the year, but for holidaymakers it needs a lot more.  £20 in £1,000 is next to nothing on holiday, even £40 if we were to  double it would probably not be noticed.

And yes, of course we should be glad of any boost to the finances, but it needs more than what we've just seen and been building up to for the last couple of months.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

IMO it will slowly but steadily rise now the stability, investment and quite frankly relief is borne out from the large Tory majority, and once the agreement passes before Xmas.

That's until the usual shenanigans start again when the trade negotiations start, and both sides do the sabre rattling, no deal, we'll walk away etc etc. 

I'm gonna bring a lump with me start of January, change it, then put it in my Thai Bank. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Krapow said:

Yes, but had their been a hung parliament, we would be looking at 35ish

Just about every serious economist reckoned that a Corbyn/McDonnell Marxist government would have to impose capital controls sooner or later to stop the pound from collapsing completely. A rapidly shrinking pound is bad enough, but what would we do if we weren't allowed to transfer our pension income out to Thailand?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Disaster, IMMSMC i could only take 25GBP as holiday money to Ibiza back in the 70's 🙄  

I was finishing postgrad in university in 1979 and went for a job interview in The Hague. I still have the old passport with the currency control stamp in it, and you were allowed to take £50 out at that time. A month or so later, Thatcher swept into power and one of the first things she did was to remove the capital controls, so I never had to worry about it again.

To think that 40 years later we might have gone back to those dark days... sends a shiver down my spine!

• Thumbs Up 2