What's your baht worth? Exchange rates on the street...

Painter

When I get back to Pattaya next week I'll be taking delivery of a new car the following Tuesday (well, that was the plan when I left, lol). I transferred the final tranche of funds this afternoon, £8,000, and although I'd hoped to get 45.00 Baht net of the TW charges, my eight grand actually got me 359,468.77 Baht, which is 44.93 net. Oh well, it's a lot better than four or five years ago when we were getting 37 Baht for a quid.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

When I get back to Pattaya next week I'll be taking delivery of a new car the following Tuesday (well, that was the plan when I left, lol). I transferred the final tranche of funds this afternoon, £8,000, and although I'd hoped to get 45.00 Baht net of the TW charges, my eight grand actually got me 359,468.77 Baht, which is 44.93 net. Oh well, it's a lot better than four or five years ago when we were getting 37 Baht for a quid.

That was bleak the 37 bht,but I learned how to say no in the gogo and bars even under pressurised circumstances 😅,hope to never see the likes again.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

That was bleak the 37 bht,but I learned how to say no in the gogo and bars even under pressurised circumstances 😅,hope to never see the likes again.

Yup and it taught me not to be greedy waiting on a higher exchange. 45 is great in the grand scheme of things. It should keep edging up, but historically they have stepped in and brought it back down again. Hopefully they will let it creep a tad higher this time before bringing it back down.

Send, send send is my advice right now.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2023 at 6:55 AM, Phantom51red said:

Shit yeh.. I was just living off my Army pension then but you just change your priorities. In fact it could have gotten even lower and I'd still been able to have a full belly of food and wine every day !!

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/8/2023 at 1:01 AM, boydeste said:

Yup and it taught me not to be greedy waiting on a higher exchange. 45 is great in the grand scheme of things. It should keep edging up, but historically they have stepped in and brought it back down again. Hopefully they will let it creep a tad higher this time before bringing it back down.

Send, send send is my advice right now.

Looks like they have adjusted it back down again to where they want it.

• Great Info 1
  • Sad 1

"the Bank has decided to make crystal clear that current levels of interest rates are here for an “extended period” of time. 

There is some concern that the public will expect rates to fall alongside inflation numbers. "

Hopefully exchange rates should go up ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Stillearly said:

"the Bank has decided to make crystal clear that current levels of interest rates are here for an “extended period” of time. 

There is some concern that the public will expect rates to fall alongside inflation numbers. "

Hopefully exchange rates should go up ...

Wise decision IMO, rather than hit everyone with a further rate rise just in time for Xmas, which will have a further negative effect on high street spending, as long as giving people (joe public)time to assimilate the recent increased and balance the books as much as they can, I guess.

Food prices are declining very slowly, but they're now counterbalanced by increasing fuel costs and Oil increases.

On the plus side, it should strengthen the Sterling somewhat, plus those with savings are now seeing an income from them. 5% is not uncommon from an ISA these days, if you're prepared to lock in.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

What the hell happened over night ??

XE is showing 43.6 at the moment down from 44.4 last night !!!

Been some bad data in the UK on retail sales and now it has reversed the rise. 

Above 43 I am happy, I remember a time when we were happy for it to get above 40, I also remember a time when some were predicting a dive to the low 30s. 

Of course it would be nice to get back up to the pre Brexit levels of over 50 but I think that door is now closed.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Phantom51red said:

I've done a few transfer the past few months,same quickness as usual,might be your bank?

I paid by debit card , started the process at 18:12 , Wise confirmed they had the funds at 18:14 .. now says money is being processed.. and tomorrow at 10:00 they will pay the THB and my Bank will receive at 13:13 ... 🤷‍♂️

this has happened the last couple of times