Is it raining in Pattaya? (Threads Merged)

john luke

4 hours ago, Zeb said:

Yep. I did the same on my phone app. 80db or over was a regular reading right through Tree Town / Buakhow area.

Crazy stuff - how can that be 'enjoyed'. I just kept going.

my app says over 80db is harmful noise, over 115 db Better leave now

Some of us might be half deaf already 😅 its already to late to worry about what an app says 😂,,but yea if one wants to listen to 4 or 5 live bands at the same time amps cranked to maximum volume i guess that tree town is the place,reminded me of abbes bar in waking street ,if you didnt sit far enough back in the bar it was just a mish mash of music.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

Some of us might be half deaf already 😅 its already to late to worry about what an app says 😂,,but yea if one wants to listen to 4 or 5 live bands at the same time amps cranked to maximum volume i guess that tree town is the place,reminded me of abbes bar in waking street ,if you didnt sit far enough back in the bar it was just a mish mash of music.

The crazy thing is that if they all turned the volume down, each bar would hear more of it's own music.

Go figure!

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

The app uses the phone's microphone to sample the sound coming in and reports back the level in decibels, dB. I use Sound Meter.

This looks useful (thanks), so I've installed it. However, being paranoid, I have denied it access to my microphone. I'll switch it on when I want to use the app.

39 minutes ago, Bazle said:

This looks useful (thanks), so I've installed it. However, being paranoid, I have denied it access to my microphone. I'll switch it on when I want to use the app.

I would love to know what happens if you leave it off until you get to Tree Town..then switch it on.

My point to @forcebwithu and @Nickrockwas that dBs is a measurement of the difference between two values. i.e your normal mic input compared to the mic input in Tree Town.

dBm is an actual measurement of the sound level at that time.

So theoretically if you disallow it access to you mic until you get to Tree Town then it should measure 0dBs.

8 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

I'm half deaf anyway, way too much industrial noise back when who the hell wore earmuffs,  like floating boiler safteys and hours hanging on to disc grinder 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, boydeste said:

The crazy thing is that if they all turned the volume down, each bar would hear more of it's own music.

Go figure!

Its a pity the band in triangle bar didnt turn their music down,,first time ive seen them tonight to be honest,few folk left before me after couple o songs,setlist was shit aswell,i stayed hoping they would get better,dont get me wrong the nice girl can sing and the guys can play guitar and bass,anyone who knows music and plays would realise the drummer is shit,f**k sake tappin the drums like pattin a rabbit,timing issues,harsh but true they should replace the drummer and older singer lady.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

Its a pity the band in triangle bar didnt turn their music down,,first time ive seen them tonight to be honest,few folk left before me after couple o songs,setlist was shit aswell,i stayed hoping they would get better,dont get me wrong the nice girl can sing and the guys can play guitar and bass,anyone who knows music and plays would realise the drummer is shit,f**k sake tappin the drums like pattin a rabbit,timing issues,harsh but true they should replace the drummer and older singer lady.

I used to enjoy a quiet afternoon drink there, until recently - band practice.

Recently I intended going in but kept walking although there were a few customers there. When I wandered back passed after having a few coldies further up the Soi, the 'band' was still blasting away and not a single customer to be seen.

It was, to use a technical term, "Fcuken Loud" confirmed by my phone app, not that I needed it to tell me.

Had a nice chat with Dave from Canterbury Tales bookshop next door a few days before he moved to his new location (wish him well there) and he said the Soi had become far more noisy for him (the new location was also better overall for him.

I don't go to Pattaya for blaring 'music' and am happy to avoid the bars that do it.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Zeb said:

I used to enjoy a quiet afternoon drink there, until recently - band practice.

Recently I intended going in but kept walking although there were a few customers there. When I wandered back passed after having a few coldies further up the Soi, the 'band' was still blasting away and not a single customer to be seen.

It was, to use a technical term, "Fcuken Loud" confirmed by my phone app, not that I needed it to tell me.

Had a nice chat with Dave from Canterbury Tales bookshop next door a few days before he moved to his new location (wish him well there) and he said the Soi had become far more noisy for him (the new location was also better overall for him.

I don't go to Pattaya for blaring 'music' and am happy to avoid the bars that do it.

Can only imagine,the loudness level didnt bother me to be honest,wasnt as bad as some bars,just they were not very good,boring set of songs,elevator music,pity as couple of nice service girls,but if the musics bad plenty other places to watch live music.

• Like 1

It is flooding here but only about a foot deep .....so far that is, as a new downpour has just started!

I must be the only farang in Pattaya that is happy with the Government's flood prevention efforts...Somebody, somewhere has done something over the last month or so and the flood water flow has changed direction so that instead of diverging and my road becoming a distributary, there is now a confluence so all the water heads off together and becomes somebody else's problem (Selfish inconsiderate bastard that I am!)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Is this rain just in the Pattaya area or is the whole of Thailand getting hammered this month. 

I was sent pictures/videos earlier in the week from Bangkok and Chiang Mai showing similar so it's pretty widespread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2022 at 11:00 PM, Derek Dangleberries said:

I would love to know what happens if you leave it off until you get to Tree Town..then switch it on.

My point to @forcebwithu and @Nickrockwas that dBs is a measurement of the difference between two values. i.e your normal mic input compared to the mic input in Tree Town.

dBm is an actual measurement of the sound level at that time.

So theoretically if you disallow it access to you mic until you get to Tree Town then it should measure 0dBs.

right but wrong as no sound is permanently constant, so there will be dips, so variants, so there will be a reading

setting the app or any analytical sound reader is pretty simple, find an area of no sound ( hotel room with curtains closed as an example)   calibrate to that, and assume it is as close to 0 as u will get

• Great Info 1

3 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

right but wrong as no sound is permanently constant, so there will be dips, so variants, so there will be a reading

setting the app or any analytical sound reader is pretty simple, find an area of no sound ( hotel room with curtains closed as an example)   calibrate to that, and assume it is as close to 0 as u will get

That was my point. If they set the the sound reader reference level whilst at Tree Town then obviously it will be 0db and not whatever they were reading previously. I was trying to show in simple terms that they were reading the difference between two levels rather than an absolute level.

14 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Does Walking Street normally flood ? 

looking for option for tonight...

It is probably your best option, it used to get well wet like most places but now they have done the work I have no idea.

In the past I have been trapped in Secrets because soi 14 and 15 were well flooded, assumingly WS drains off via those.

I don't ever remember soi Diamond flooding, so that may be an option with Windmill etc open.

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, boydeste said:

Is this rain just in the Pattaya area or is the whole of Thailand getting hammered this month. 

Its pretty much all over Thailand but some areas are not that badly affected, where i live we have some areas that are flooded and most are not. October has a habit of being a bad month for heavy rain full and consequent flooding due to the build up of water from previous months during the rainy season. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

In past years when we had normal rainy seasons I remember how wet Sept/Oct were, but come 1 Nov it was like a switch got thrown by the big guy in the sky and the rains all but ended.

Let's hope he still has his finger on the button !!!!

• Like 2