Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

1 hour ago, Zeb said:

Agree.

A good innings from Sir Michael, although he might have been disappointed in not making a century.

He was a great cricket fan and lifelong Yorkshire CC member - mates with Dickie Bird 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

Just seen this obituary in the telegraph, Nick Hitchon who was in all the series of 7UP etc , the documentary series that revisited the cast every seven years , he passed last month 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2023/08/22/nick-hitchon-nuclear-scientist-seven-up-granada-television/

This is sad. What a great man and documentary series. 

• Like 1

Commander of Australian troops at Long Tan dies days after 57th anniversary

LIEUTENANT COLONEL HARRY ARTHUR SMITH: July 5, 1933 - August 20, 2023

Lieutenant Colonel Harry Arthur Smith, who was the most significant front-line officer in the most iconic Australian battle in the Vietnam War died on Sunday at home in Buderim, Queensland aged 90.

d0e2e5780a1f1186b673b081056c278e1ea67cbb

Then Major Harry Smith commanded the 108 strong 6RAR’s Delta Company in the Battle of Long Tan on August 18, 1966.

Included in D6RAR's strength was a three-man New Zealand artillery forward observer party under Captain Maurice Stanley

As swarms of VC soldiers kept getting closer, Smith sent out a order through to the Nui Dat artillery Fire Control Centre. “Drop fifty, Danger Close, Fire for effect.”

HQ came back: “Negative, unsafe. Over.”

Grabbing the transmitter from his signaller, Smith barked into it: “Give us the f******* guns where we want them or you will lose the bloody lot of us.”

There was a long pause and the answer came back. “Acknowledge, Drop fifty, Danger Close, Fire for effect.” 

https://www.smh.com.au/national/commander-of-australian-troops-at-long-tan-dies-days-after-50th-anniversary-20230821-p5dy3o.html

The Battle of Long Tan (18 August 1966) took place in a rubber plantation near Long Tân, in Phước Tuy Province, South Vietnam, during the Vietnam War.

Initial estimates of the VC force ranged from several companies to a battalion, yet following the battle Australian intelligence assessed it as having totalled between 1,500 and 2,500 men, while 1,000 were believed to have directly engaged D Company.

VC and PAVN casualties were claimed by the Australians to have numbered 245 dead left on the battlefield and three captured, with many more were thought to have been removed as they withdrew. Others were so badly mutilated their remains were unidentifiable.

The fighting left one-third of D Company killed or wounded. 17 were killed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Long_Tan

Edited by Zeb
  • Sad 6

12 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Just seen this obituary in the telegraph, Nick Hitchon who was in all the series of 7UP etc , the documentary series that revisited the cast every seven years , he passed last month 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2023/08/22/nick-hitchon-nuclear-scientist-seven-up-granada-television/

a good watch to see how they all got on in life . 

On 8/18/2023 at 10:44 AM, coxyhog said:

& Sir Geoffrey of Boycott

I have been trying to imagine Boycott fitting into the style of Stokes current England test side particularly if he was opening the batting on a 4th innings run chase.

I've given up.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

I was starting to think the same thing. Maybe bull squat.

I did see some reports he's on his deathbed, so probably not long for this dimension.

Edited to add: I've not found any collaborating reports that he's on his deathbed, so what I saw was probably clickbait. Sick world we live in for people to do that.

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Sad 1