What are you reading?

Al McReady

First Among Equals - Jeffrey Archer

I have downloaded all of his novels and am going through them one by one (that I have not read yet) on an iPad Mini the wife no longer uses (she just got a new one).  Must say I didnt think I would be able to transition from books to an e-reader, but it is fine.  

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, AussieBob said:

First Among Equals - Jeffrey Archer

I have downloaded all of his novels and am going through them one by one (that I have not read yet) on an iPad Mini the wife no longer uses (she just got a new one).  Must say I didnt think I would be able to transition from books to an e-reader, but it is fine.  

I was the same with my Kindle, wasn't sure I'd like it, but thought I'd buy one and give it a go. That was about 7/8 years ago and I wouldn't be without it now. Read over 700 books on it. Still read paper books as well, but the Kindle is so much more convenient, especially if traveling. My old one was struggling with holding a charge for long, would go low battery warning randomly. Bought a new one a few months ago. Only have the basic bottom of the range one, it's all I need. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

50 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Got through this one in just over a day, pretty big print. A good read though, didn't enjoy it as much in the first season. Suffered from the Abercrombie book I read just before it being outstanding,

image.png

Read the trilogy of these. Thought they were pretty good. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Got through this one in just over a day, pretty big print. A good read though, didn't enjoy it as much in the first season. Suffered from the Abercrombie book I read just before it being outstanding,

image.png

Just finished reading another Peter May book - Lockdown. Very timely and set in London at the time of a pandemic but written before Covid.  Not the best book I've ever read but ok to while away a few hours.

Unknown.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

Just finished this. Absolutely superb book. Tells the story of the author and 5 of her companions as they attempt to climb Everest. All are battling traumatic events in their lives, from childhood sexual abuse, sex trafficking, addiction, gender confusion /acceptance. The 5 companions are inexperienced climbers while the author is highly experienced. The 5 are only going to base camp while the author will attempt the summit. Amazing story of courage and resilience. 

B08NP332MD.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

I like to read snippets of the Koran. My favourite verse is... 

"And so it is told that the peoples of a place that is called Boston giveth of their gold and silver to kill children in a foreign land such that they must be revisited and retribution brought upon them".

EDIT = I thought that I was replying to a post on the first page of this thread.

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Great Info 1
  • Surprised 1

I suggest this for 'conservative' types & long time 'Democrat voters' also. In it, Wolin describes & coins the term 'inverted totalitarianism.' 'Democracy Incorporated' by Sheldon Wolin.

If this sort of topic interests you, feel free to send a friendly message with any views or comments.

Democracy INC by Sheldon S Wolin book title.PNG

• Like 1

Just finished "Blood Red Snow" by Gunter Kosherrek today and started "Barbarossa" by Alan Clark.

001716131-hq-168-80.jpg

"Blood Red Snow" is an account of a German Machine Gunner on the Eastern Front during Stalingrad and the retreat. It is a very personal account and I wanted to see it from the Soldiers perspective before reading the more technical and detailed plans and strategy in "Barbarossa" so I could see it from both angles.

1131545268.0.x.jpg

The first chapter of "Barbarossa" covers how Hitler maneuvered and consolidated his position as Fuhrer , subjugated the Generals and the Army Chief of Staff (notably by one getting caught with a prostitute which Hitler then used as a means to question his judgement and remove him and his supporters).

The plans to invade Russia were made a year prior to the invasion itself, Hitler never trusted Stalin and had a particular dislike of the Russians as people. The non aggression treaty was effectively a ruse as Hitler had agreed with his staff that Germany would not attack Russia while there was a war on the Western front, but with France et al defeated, the US not in the War and Great Britain not enough of a threat , the Western Front was effectively non existent .

Edited by Butch

2 minutes ago, Butch said:

Just finished "Blood Red Snow" by Gunter Kosherrek today and started "Barbarossa" by Alan Clark.

001716131-hq-168-80.jpg

"Blood Red Snow" is an account of a German Machine Gunner on the Eastern Front during Stalingrad and the retreat. It is a very personal account and I wanted to see it from the Soldiers perspective before reading the more technical and detailed plans and strategy in "Barbarossa" so I could see it from both angles.

1131545268.0.x.jpg

The first chapter of "Barbarossa" covers how Hitler maneuvered and consolidated his position as Fuhrer , subjugated the Generals and the Army Chief of Staff (notably by one getting caught with a prostitute which Hitler then used as a means to question his judgement and remove him and his supporters).

The plans to invade Russia were made a year prior to the invasion itself, Hitler never trusted Stalin and had a particular dislike of the Russians as people. The non aggression treaty was effectively a ruse as Hitler had agreed not to attack Russia while there was a war on the Western front, but with France et al defeated, the US not in the War and Great Britain not enough of a threat , the Western Front was effectively non existent.

There was an recent interesting three part documentary on the BBC , Rise of the Nazis : Dictators at war  which covered this period , definitely worth a watch 

• Great Info 1

Just now, Stillearly said:

There was an recent interesting three part documentary on the BBC , Rise of the Nazis : Dictators at war  which covered this period , definitely worth a watch 

Is it on iplayer? If it is I'll make a start on it tonight 🙂