What are you drinking?

DumbDucker

Had to walk in to Neath to get some pain killers. Didn't want to drink but I got a notification that, Greene King Dark Tide was on pump in the 'Spoon'.

Works a bit like a painkiller after 2 pints.

IMG20240315111128.jpg

Screenshot_2024-03-15-11-14-55-89_37532534644cad840a93bfbe58717d93.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

No more 49er, Best Bitter or Old Thumper .... to be replaced by Marston's Midlands piss water ...

FFS won't be much left for Real Ale Free Houses to stock soon !!

I think it will be still brewed but Carlsberg will move the production to one of it's own sites.  Standard stuff from the big brewers, buy the brand and shut down the local brewer.

I'm a bit more postive and think the micro pubs(converted small shops) are the ray of hope in the UK. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

I think it will be still brewed but Carlsberg will move the production to one of it's own sites.  Standard stuff from the big brewers, buy the brand and shut down the local brewer.

Yep, that's what the article says but I am damned sure it won't taste the same REF Newcastle Brown, Theakstones etc..

6 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

I'm a bit more postive and think the micro pubs(converted small shops) are the ray of hope in the UK. 

Yep, my favourite pub in Devizes always has 4 Real Ales on rotation... I've noticed a few on here like the taste of Butt Come ... I've just checked and he has Lucky Irish Stout from them on tap at the moment

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here's another Thai craft beer, this one is supposed to be a Helles lager. I admit that I don't have much experience of Helles beers, you don't really see much of them outside Germany, I guess, so credit to them for trying. My best memory of the Helles genre is the Kuchlbauer Helles, which is a really great pint, very clean and rounded and pleasant. This Thai attempt was OK, but it  had a bit of a chemical tang to it. My taste buds may have just been playing up when I drank it, and I'd be willing to try it again, but it was far from cheap at 139 Baht for a half-litre can from Villa, so I'm not rushing out to buy some more.

366359717_837367917749007_35250818126602

Iced melon juice made by the missus,really nice & possibly could be made nicer with a drop of vodka....

Not sure if the neighbours in the condo were impressed with the sound of the juicer though....

IMG_5624 2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/16/2024 at 1:10 PM, Toy Boy said:

Here's another Thai craft beer, this one is supposed to be a Helles lager. I admit that I don't have much experience of Helles beers, you don't really see much of them outside Germany, I guess, so credit to them for trying. My best memory of the Helles genre is the Kuchlbauer Helles, which is a really great pint, very clean and rounded and pleasant. This Thai attempt was OK, but it  had a bit of a chemical tang to it. My taste buds may have just been playing up when I drank it, and I'd be willing to try it again, but it was far from cheap at 139 Baht for a half-litre can from Villa, so I'm not rushing out to buy some more.

366359717_837367917749007_35250818126602

Read about Crispy Boy winning an international brewing medal was keen to try it.

Really poor, tipped away the last 3rd of a can.

Tasted nothing like a Helles, think you are being polite calling it OK 😁

• Thanks 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, boydeste said:

First opportunity to try this in the Brick house last night.

Very impressed at 90b for a large bottle 

20240321_183740.jpg

A little backstory picked up from Forbes, July 2023. Shows in part just how much money the Tawadeng outlets must have made

"Sathien Sathientham, whose $1.5 billion fortune stems largely from Carabao Dang, an energy drink named after a popular rock band, is getting into large-scale beer brewing. He’s investing 4 billion baht ($115 million) to build a factory in central Thailand with the aim of capturing 3% of the estimated 257-billion-baht domestic beer market in the first year of operations.

The investment is being made through Tawandang Brewery, which Sathien established last year. The first batch of beer is expected by year-end and distribution will be through Bangkok-listed Carabao Group, the energy drink maker Sathien cofounded in 2002 with his pal, singer Yuenyong Opakul, who goes by the stage name of Aed Carabao, and business partner Nutchamai Thanombooncharoen (No. 38).

Carabao will have “minimal risk distributing those products” because it’s standard practice for retailers to pay upfront for alcohol products, Romtham Sathientham, Sathien’s son and managing director of Carabao, says in a phone interview in June. “There’s also minimal incremental cost as we’ll be using the current sales structure,” he adds. But the new beer will face entrenched brands: Chang, brewed by liquor tycoon Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi (No. 3), and Leo and Singha, made by beer baron Santi Bhirombhakdi (No. 20).

Sathien, who recently changed his surname from Setthasit to Sathientham, is also expanding his roughly 50%-owned grocery giant, CJ Express, where his oldest son, Veeratham, is CEO. The retailer added 300 outlets in 2022 for a total of 1,000; it plans to add 600 more by next year.
Meanwhile, his daughter Tientham is managing director at TD Tawandang, which operates more than 5,000 Tookdee convenience stores. Earlier this year, almost 100 Tookdee partners (the stores are run on a profit-sharing basis with local associates) filed complaints with Thailand’s Trade Competition Commission. TD Tawandang did not respond to a request for a comment."

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2

16 hours ago, Binlid said:

Time for a Ruby.

20240321_180803.jpg

Is that beer from Bangladesh? If so I hope it's better than Murree Beer (guaranteed glycerine free) from Pakistan. Having said that in emergencies and ice cold Murree Beer does have a place (Sindh Province for example)

3 hours ago, Zambo said:

Is that beer from Bangladesh? If so I hope it's better than Murree Beer (guaranteed glycerine free) from Pakistan. Having said that in emergencies and ice cold Murree Beer does have a place (Sindh Province for example)

Brewed in Manchester at 4.8%. It has a distinct malty flavour and is my go to beer if available when having an Indian.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I tried Phuket lager many years ago when it first came out, but didn't see the point of paying over the odds for another bog standard Thai lager. I don't know if this is from the same brewery, or a completely different company, but it's much better. I prefer it to the Carabao Dunkel, which is a decent drop of dark, though as it's around three times as expensive as the Carabao I'd have hoped so.

52812889_2247132922168852_11649255215873

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

I tried Phuket lager many years ago when it first came out, but didn't see the point of paying over the odds for another bog standard Thai lager. I don't know if this is from the same brewery, or a completely different company, but it's much better. I prefer it to the Carabao Dunkel, which is a decent drop of dark, though as it's around three times as expensive as the Carabao I'd have hoped so.

52812889_2247132922168852_11649255215873

I agree it's excellent. Far, far better than the majority of Thai craft beers.

Unfortunately I was very reliably informed they have been bought out by Singha. Who being arseholes, brew it in Thailand but sell it at the price of an imported beer( which is of course, heavily taxed).

• Great Info 1
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

I agree it's excellent. Far, far better than the majority of Thai craft beers.

Unfortunately I was very reliably informed they have been bought out by Singha. Who being arseholes, brew it in Thailand but sell it at the price of an imported beer( which is of course, heavily taxed).

Yeah, I guess there has to be some reason why you're paying almost 100 Baht for a 330 cl bottle of locally brewed beer. Master brewing craftsmanship, the finest ingredients from across the globe, or pure unadulterated greed.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/15/2024 at 8:46 PM, Horizondave said:

Had to walk in to Neath to get some pain killers. Didn't want to drink but I got a notification that, Greene King Dark Tide was on pump in the 'Spoon'.

Works a bit like a painkiller after 2 pints.

Yes "notifications" are pretty much an instruction to attend. Luckily that turned out to be dual purpose.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

Yeah, I guess there has to be some reason why you're paying almost 100 Baht for a 330 cl bottle of locally brewed beer. Master brewing craftsmanship, the finest ingredients from across the globe, or pure unadulterated greed.

I enjoyed a Muay Thai Brewery beer recently. They are brewed by the Heart of Darkness brewery in Vietnam, then imported and taxed accordingly, but badged as a "Thai" craft beer. Similar scenario with many of these Thai brewers who won't produce anything like the crazy minimum 10 million litres per annum to be allowed to brew legally in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1