What are you drinking?

DumbDucker

After being a bit disappointed in the Nonthaburi Brewery's Helles, I gave its Weizen a go. The same price, a painful 150 Baht for a locally-brewed beer, and a waste of money. While it's better than the chemical crap produced by the large brewers (e.g. the truly awful Snowy Weizen from Boon Rawd), that's not really saying much. It has nothing worth talking about; no character, no interesting flavours (Weissbiers are famous for their fruity, citrus tones, or even banana), its sole distinguishing features are the banality and the outlandish price. Why would you drink this stuff when, for 95 Baht in 7-eleven, you can buy a half-litre can of Hoegaarden brewed under licence in Vietnam? Remember that they've been brewing Hoegaarden for some 700 years, so they've had plenty time to figure out how to make it interesting and enjoyable. Maybe in the year 2725 (cue music by Zager and Evans, lol) the Nonthaburi crowd will finally produce an interesting beer? (If man is still alive.)

4ca2349eca07a8517a30049c262fe520_1280x12

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Toy Boy said:

After being a bit disappointed in the Nonthaburi Brewery's Helles, I gave its Weizen a go. The same price, a painful 150 Baht for a locally-brewed beer, and a waste of money. While it's better than the chemical crap produced by the large brewers (e.g. the truly awful Snowy Weizen from Boon Rawd), that's not really saying much. It has nothing worth talking about; no character, no interesting flavours (Weissbiers are famous for their fruity, citrus tones, or even banana), its sole distinguishing features are the banality and the outlandish price. Why would you drink this stuff when, for 95 Baht in 7-eleven, you can buy a half-litre can of Hoegaarden brewed under licence in Vietnam? Remember that they've been brewing Hoegaarden for some 700 years, so they've had plenty time to figure out how to make it interesting and enjoyable. Maybe in the year 2725 (cue music by Zager and Evans, lol) the Nonthaburi crowd will finally produce an interesting beer? (If man is still alive.)

4ca2349eca07a8517a30049c262fe520_1280x12

Tried their Helles and totally agree, average at best. The Full Moon brewery beers are the best Thai ones I've had in bottles. Have had better beers  ones on draft in Thai craft bars but from breweries unknown to me, that I couldn't find any information about online.

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 1

Was in Neath yesterday, so popped into the 'Spoon' for my first pub beer of the year. Also used my newly acquired CAMRA (Campaign For Real Ale) vouchers to get 50 pence off of the £2.95 price. I should have paid £2.45 but actually got charged £2.05....

Had just the one pint of Exmoor Beast at 6.6%.

IMG20240109114258.jpg

Screenshot_2024-01-09-11-45-18-46_37532534644cad840a93bfbe58717d93.jpg

For info, my CAMRA membership cost £30.50 and they send you £30 of vouchers in 50p denominations. Can be used in all Wetherspoons, but also many other pub groups. The membership card can also get up to 10% discount where the pub supports CAMRA.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

Special propromotion (sic).  From the top down it's Chang, Leo, Singha and Heineken although Google wasn't too good at translating Singha.  3 big bottles for the prices shown.

beer 16.jpg

beer 17.jpg

A large Capachino LHR,  T2, EVA departure lounge waiting for boarding. There was a special offer on Jim Beam 1 ltr, a bargain which I simply could not resist. Purely for medicinal  purposes, should there be a need. The plane looks full according to my sources but at least I have Aisle seat in a safe part of the Aircraft should it go down 🤯

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

5 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

A large Capachino LHR,  T2, EVA departure lounge waiting for boarding. There was a special offer on Jim Beam 1 ltr, a bargain which I simply could not resist. Purely for medicinal  purposes, should there be a need. The plane looks full according to my sources but at least I have Aisle seat in a safe part of the Aircraft should it go down 🤯

I thought maybe you were already here as I saw your doppelganger at Tuk Com yesterday morning. Even went out my way to say hi. Two giveaways that it wasn't you. One was the lack of recognition in his eyes, and the second and more telling was he didn't speak a word of English. :default_1087::default_biggrin:

• Haha 2

I fancied a decent Rioja, so went to V2V on Thepprasit and was surprised by the selection there. Around 10 different bottles on display, but not cheap, the most expensive one would set you back around 3,500 Baht. I was tempted by the Marques de Caceres, it was one of the reds that I cut my oenophile teeth on around 45 years ago when I was living in Assen and just starting out on my lifelong journey into the world of wine. The Aussie guy who runs the place said that you were paying for the name, and there was better value to be had. He pointed me to a Muriel 2014 Gran Reserva which, at around 1,200 Baht, was cheaper than the Caceres Reserva and looked like it would do the job. It's got good reviews and, as is often the case with the premium quality wines, it was only a few hundred Baht more expensive that it would have been if I'd bought it in the UK (£21, apparently). That's resting in my wine fridge now, I'll uncork it one of these days but, at the moment, I've got a bottle of George Wyndham Australian Shiraz in the fridge waiting to be finished.

IMG20240119095139.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Safe travels. 

9 hours ago, galenkia said:

When I was discharged from hospital I was given a carrier bag full of medical grade protein drinks for the treatment of malnutrition. Have to take two of each a day.

IMG_0019.jpeg

Dad’s final 2 weeks we were very clear with the staff that he wanted an Ensure with every supper, forgot what flavour but he really liked it…

2 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Dad’s final 2 weeks we were very clear with the staff that he wanted an Ensure with every supper, forgot what flavour but he really liked it…

I got given strawberry and banana flavours.

Both really nice.

• Thumbs Up 1