What are you drinking?

DumbDucker

10 minutes ago, SteveBC said:

I would suggest you try a glass of claret....It may be a better match then beer ??

6 minutes ago, Zambo said:

Perfect

Anything from a nut roast to Christmas goose (or even Whiskas Saba)will pair well – as long as the Claret doesn't overpower the flavours in the food.

As the Stewardess in business class on Lufthansa once insisted ..."You vill haff vite vine mit your fish!!!!!"!

• Great Info 1

38 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

This one 69 baht from Tops supermarket central festival Patts. A bit bland compared to their main beers, but still way superior to Thai brands.

20230121_191704.jpg

Look s as bright that. Beer Lao Dark is a lovely drop. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

This one 69 baht from Tops supermarket central festival Patts. A bit bland compared to their main beers, but still way superior to Thai brands.

20230121_191704.jpg

3 hours ago, AJSP said:

Look s as bright that. Beer Lao Dark is a lovely drop. 

Ditto, the dark is quite drinkable. 

On 1/22/2023 at 8:23 AM, SteveBC said:

I've enjoyed copious amount of that in Cambodia, also Black Panther.

Both most lovely brews......

I saw a Pattaya vlog on YT yesterday where he claimed to have visited "Little Burma" which is the back road I took back from Le Pub last Sunday. As expected by anybody that has lived there, the food looked utter shite but it might be worth a visit if they sell ABC (Which of course the vlogger didn't say!!!!) 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, john luke said:

ACDE46FC-1160-40A7-B809-55D502D56737.jpeg

BAA86F97-14AF-4AC3-A0F2-BFC2E59523D7.jpeg

The beer at Bella Italia is always served cold.  It is obviously refrigerated and I suspect that the glasses are kept in a refrigerator or possibly a freezer.  Anyway beer served and on pouring the froth on the top turned to ice crystals.

If you have ice forming in the the beer itself then you are "freeze distilling" the beer. I used to do that with my failed homebrews to extract maximum alcohol from them.

With beer it gives it a stronger taste and a higher ABV% but then you are left with half a glass of water... If you wait for the ice to defrost then, depending on the beer, it doesn't return to its original quality...

For SML I would send it back because it isn't a "light" beer anymore..

• Great Info 1

4 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

If you have ice forming in the the beer itself then you are "freeze distilling" the beer. I used to do that with my failed homebrews to extract maximum alcohol from them.

With beer it gives it a stronger taste and a higher ABV% but then you are left with half a glass of water... If you wait for the ice to defrost then, depending on the beer, it doesn't return to its original quality...

Agree with most of that, but SML isn't ''light'' because of the alcohol content, it is ''light'' because of the relative low calorie content.

An average bottled beer is 160 ish and SML is 100 ish, hence why I tend to drink it mostly whilst in Thailand. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I knew a pretty hospital ward sister way back when, in the time Mackeson dark stout beer was served to patients because it was high in iron. 
There was always a couple of crates of the stuff on the ward at any given time.

She and other nurses would put a dozen bottles in the freezer for a few hours then using a large lumber puncture needle and big syringe, would gently ease the bottle cap off, insert the syringe into the semi frozen beer in the middle where the most alcohol was and withdraw a few mls from each bottle and pop the cap back on.
The patients who were prescribed the beer were usually elderly so didn’t notice there was little to no alcohol in the beer and the nurses had a nice little drink. 🤗

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have just had 2 large glasses of Jack Daniels and Honey.... I popped next door to the shop to see my friend and he said that he had a surprise for me ....A 1 Litre bottle of the stuff which we cracked open !!!

The story was that he bought it for 400 Baht from a friend that works Bellboy in a hotel that also didn't know what it was...A satisfied customer had given it to him when he checked out!!!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I have just had 2 large glasses of Jack Daniels and Honey.... I popped next door to the shop to see my friend and he said that he had a surprise for me ....A 1 Litre bottle of the stuff which we cracked open !!!

The story was that he bought it for 400 Baht from a friend that works Bellboy in a hotel that also didn't know what it was...A satisfied customer had given it to him when he checked out!!!

Lovely stuff that is, I remember going to a Christmas works dinner one afternoon and one of the guys brought the JD honey as a present in town an hour or so before, he realised he should have got the original JD, so he popped back out from the meal to get another bottle. on return he was complaining how he was going to struggle carrying both bottles as well as his shopping home on the bus. Don't worry, just open it and we will all have a taste. Well, only myself liked it, the others found it too sweet.

One very pissed Stew went home that evening I can tell ya!

• Haha 1