What are you drinking?

DumbDucker

Soon to be opened.

IMG20230225154442.jpg

Reminds me of getting drunk on a similar bottle at Boys Brigade camp in Woolacombe in 1970 when I was just 15.

Think I drank it after the captain took me into a tent saying he wanted me to find Jesus. Just him and me, and after praying together, he put his hand up the leg of my shorts. I told him we won't find Jesus up there before running out of the tent.

After the the experience I realised the Boys Brigade was not for me but I stayed a drinker.

It was years later I realised what had happened but I have never relayed the story to many people.

Lovely cider.

• Great Info 1
  • Surprised 1

7 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I'm just back from Big C....

To celebrate finally winning a game of footie at ER I bought a bottle of JD Apple.

I took a swig (two gulps actually) before sticking it in the fridge cold tray ....... it aint too bad!

The Honey is really good ..

I was in V2V on Thepprasit last week getting another bottle of champagne (they've got Breton Fils in stock now, one of the best 'ordinary' champagnes I've had, and it's not outlandishly priced, either), and I noticed some Chateauneuf du Pape. When I was a kid, my dad had two go-to wines when we went out for a fancy meal, Nuits St. Georges and Chateauneuf du Pape. It's been decades since I last drank it so I thought I'd give it a go and bought a bottle of the mid-range version, Chateau Maucoil 2019, for around 1,500 Baht.

SPQCYfubR7utfM0Y8REOYQ_pb_x960.png

It's not as strong-tasting as I recall, but when I last drank it the big New World shiraz wines were only just starting to appear in the UK and I don't think we were as used to the powerful reds as we are today. The taste is good, but I often find with French wines that they lose that special something very quickly on contact with air, so I keep the vacuvin cork loosely in the bottle and just pour a mouthful at a time. I enjoyed it for a change, but to be honest a bottle of George Wyndham shiraz for 550 Baht is better.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

14 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Soon to be opened.

IMG20230225154442.jpg

Reminds me of getting drunk on a similar bottle at Boys Brigade camp in Woolacombe in 1970 when I was just 15.

Think I drank it after the captain took me into a tent saying he wanted me to find Jesus. Just him and me, and after praying together, he put his hand up the leg of my shorts. I told him we won't find Jesus up there before running out of the tent.

After the the experience I realised the Boys Brigade was not for me but I stayed a drinker.

It was years later I realised what had happened but I have never relayed the story to many people.

Lovely cider.

Not a totally dissimilar experience to mine except he was the village church organist.... (yeh, I get the pun)...

As for the Old Rosie... it was on draught in a local pub last time I was home.....Bloody excellent brew !!

• Thumbs Up 1

Rochefort Trappistenbier that I saw in Foodmart. When I first went to live in the Netherlands, in 1979, I became quite fond of a small jazz bar/brown cafe in the centre of The Hague called the Paraplu. That was where I first tasted the Trappist brews, I'd never seen them in Britain, and we used to sink them like they were 3% John Smith's, lol. This particular one runs to 9.2% alcohol, and a single bottle is enough for me nowadays, wimp worried about his liver that I've become. Not cheap but a pleasant change.

IMG20230305183342.jpg

Which made me wonder if the good old Paraplu is still there, and Google provided the answer... yes, and here it is:

Paraplu, Den Haag.png

Though to be honest, that's not exactly how I remember it from 40-odd years ago, it looks a lot less seedy nowadays. It's probably had a makeover or two during that time, plus my memories of the place aren't likely to be terribly accurate considering how pished we used to get in there, lol.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2