What are you drinking?

DumbDucker

1 hour ago, Binlid said:

Stayed in a lovely hotel in Chiang Mai about 8 years ago Ray that was called The Peaberry.

Hmmm.  I would assume after the coffee bean, considering that Thai coffees are grown up that way.

Your post got me curious, so I did a little web searching on peaberry coffees.  

https://www.homegrounds.co/peaberry-coffee/

"Coffee beans come from coffee cherries, the bright red fruits of the coffee tree. In each coffee cherry, there is an outer skin – which is how we make cascara – over a layer of pulp, and then typically two seeds covered in a thin layer of parchment.

[...]

So what is a peaberry coffee bean? It’s a natural mutation in which a single bean grows on its own inside the coffee cherry, rather than with a twin. They lack the familiar flat side that normal beans have, and they are smaller than a standard bean. They are considered some of the best in the world."

The latter claim is controversial, but the consensus seems to be that peaberry coffee tastes somewhat different than coffee from the normal-shaped beans in the same lot.  I can attest to that, although I'm not sure it's worth the extra money.

The backstory is that I hadn't ordered from these guys for a while, so I decided to go back and try the two varieties I had tried before, this one, and the "estate blend".  After I finish this bag, I'll be ordering a bag of that.  I may also try their medium roast and possibly the dark roast too, but I don't drink enough espresso for that to be worthwhile.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

O'Hara's Irish Red Nitro (no idea why they call it that, maybe it's explosive, lol). Siamburi's has some 440 ml cans of this plus the O'Hara's Irish stout that are only a month away from their sell-by date so they're turning them out at just 75 Baht each. For that price I had to try them, and I enjoyed that one, not too alcoholic (4.5%) and almost a meal in itself. It went well with the bacon, eggs and beans I had for tea, anyway.

IMG20230427191309.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

O'Hara's Irish Red Nitro (no idea why they call it that, maybe it's explosive, lol)

Looks like one of those draft beers in a can, with Nitrogen used on opening to give you the head and texture.

Always wanted to try one of those O'Hara's beers, but had only seen them in bars at 200 baht+. 75 baht for an import is excellent.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1