What are you drinking?

DumbDucker

19 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Looks like one of those draft beers in a can, with Nitrogen used on opening to give you the head and texture.

Always wanted to try one of those O'Hara's beers, but had only seen them in bars at 200 baht+. 75 baht for an import is excellent.

Interesting, thanks, I didn't know that. The creaminess of the beer and the way the head lasted were certainly very much like a pint of draft. I think Siamburi's normal price is around 175 Baht a can, maybe I'd better head on out there again and get a few more of these bargain beers.

• Thumbs Up 2

@Lemondropkid, I tried the O'Hara's Nitro Irish stout as well. When I opened the can of the Red beer the effect was a bit alarming, I thought the beer had gone off, but it's only the nitrogen being activated. The stout was exactly the same:

IMG20230430183418.jpg

After it's poured, like any good stout, it needs a few minutes to settle.

IMG20230430183456.jpg

And once it's done that it makes a very good drop of beer indeed.

IMG20230430183551.jpg

I think this stuff normally sells in Siamburi's for 175 Baht a can, but if you buy a case of 24 cans then due to the BBE date you can get it for just 65 Baht a can.

I wouldn't swap the can for a pint of the real thing in a pub, but you can drink the can in the comfort of your own home. I also preferred the Red beer, but I think they're out of the cheap version of that now, and 175 Baht is a bit steep for a can with a good BBE date.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

@Lemondropkid, I tried the O'Hara's Nitro Irish stout as well. When I opened the can of the Red beer the effect was a bit alarming, I thought the beer had gone off, but it's only the nitrogen being activated. The stout was exactly the same:

IMG20230430183418.jpg

After it's poured, like any good stout, it needs a few minutes to settle.

IMG20230430183456.jpg

And once it's done that it makes a very good drop of beer indeed.

IMG20230430183551.jpg

I think this stuff normally sells in Siamburi's for 175 Baht a can, but if you buy a case of 24 cans then due to the BBE date you can get it for just 65 Baht a can.

I wouldn't swap the can for a pint of the real thing in a pub, but you can drink the can in the comfort of your own home. I also preferred the Red beer, but I think they're out of the cheap version of that now, and 175 Baht is a bit steep for a can with a good BBE date.

Thanks it looks terrific. Like you I wouldn't pay 175 baht for a can at home, but 65 baht might lure me in!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

After this gift sitting for a year, and zero booze for me since Xmas, decided to finally crack her open. It’s not a rare trading card, it won’t appreciate in value too much in the cabinet 

Anyway, straight up/neat…..strong stuff for a lightweight like me 

IMG_1783.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Over the next couple of weeks can all you wine drinkers in UK recommend some good wines for me to try out whilst I'm there , please, thank you !!

Anything from 5 to 20 quid ..

Wine is quite a personal thing and with a price range that large you will have no problem finding something you like to drink.

I would go into any of the large supermarkets and buy a couple of bottles in the 6 to 8 pound mark. 

Given you drink Mont Clare, you should find wines at that price point to be very nice.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Given you drink Mont Clare, you should find wines at that price point to be very nice.

Shit yeh...if I wanna splash out for a special occasion here I can have Jacobs Creek at around 18 quid a bottle !!!

Hence my "hobby" ..

I agree that any "taste" is a personal thing but I want to experiment whilst wine is "cheap"!!!

So lets make the price range less than a tenner ..

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Shit yeh...if I wanna splash out for a special occasion here I can have Jacobs Creek at around 18 quid a bottle !!!

Hence my "hobby" ..

I agree that any "taste" is a personal thing but I want to experiment whilst wine is "cheap"!!!

So lets make the price range less than a tenner ..

Sainsbury's do a range of Oyster Bay wines from NZ that I like.Merlot is my favourite red & they also do some whites from the same company.I think they're about £9-10.

They've always got wines on offer as well.If you're here for a bank holiday look out for the 25% off 6 bottles or more offers,I think most of the big supermarkets have this at bank holidays & if it's already reduced then it's 25% off the already reduced price.

While you're in Sainsbury's this is slightly more expensive at £12 but it's really nice:

IMG_4079.JPG

Edited by coxyhog
  • Like 2
  • Great Info 1

57 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

While you're in Sainsbury's this is slightly more expensive at £12 but it's really nice:

IMG_4079.JPG

I spotted that in Big C this morning but didn't dare to look at the price ... Maybe I'll check it out tomorrow .. But for sure it isn't 540 Baht so will go on my list for my holiday.

Thanks

• Thumbs Up 1