COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

9 minutes ago, Esco said:

Yep this could be the end of Xmas and NYE festivities here too. That would be awful for the restaurants who must have stocked up on grub already. 

I really hope they see sense, there is no need to panic, majority of new cases were asymptomatic. Thailand has one of the best healthcare systems in the world, it can cope with a small increase in cases. Many hospitality businesses will not be able to cope with being shuttered over what should be the busiest time of year. 

😩

Just now, forcebwithu said:

It wouldn't be so worrisome if Samut Sakhon wasn't part of the Bangkok Metropolitan Area with a population of 14 million. It it were a more isolated community then the authorities would have a much easier job of locking down the area to prevent further spread. But BMA with a population density of 5,300/km2, those 500+ known cases could easily infect thousands more.

Thailand has a population of almost 70 million and one of the best healthcare systems in the world. The majority of these new cases were asymptomatic, this is no reason to panic, and utterly inevitable. 

2 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

I really hope they see sense, there is no need to panic, majority of new cases were asymptomatic. Thailand has one of the best healthcare systems in the world, it can cope with a small increase in cases. Many hospitality businesses will not be able to cope with being shuttered over what should be the busiest time of year. 

😩

Are you joking ?  Except for the rich ! 

1 minute ago, Thai Spice said:

Are you joking ?  Except for the rich ! 

No. Thailand was recently ranked as one of the best health systems in the world. It has incredible private hospitals for those that can afford health insurance, and a good level of provision for those reliant on state aid. Compare that to France, which is reliant on sub saharan Africans with fake degrees and appalling hygiene, or the UK with 5 year waiting lists and diversity co-ordinators on 50k a year. There is no contest, Thai health system is far superior and well equipped to cope. 

1 minute ago, Thai Spice said:

Common sense 

OK, so no proof. 

19 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Yes, I know...

But still, blame mainly the migrants ......

Now go test all test all schools in Samut Sakhon, and see the result ?

As there had been no local infections for months in the area and the woman in question hadn't traveled abroad of course they had to consider a foreign connection, especially in an area full of migrants from Myanmar where infections are rife. 

16 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

No. Thailand was recently ranked as one of the best health systems in the world. It has incredible private hospitals for those that can afford health insurance, and a good level of provision for those reliant on state aid. Compare that to France, which is reliant on sub saharan Africans with fake degrees and appalling hygiene, or the UK with 5 year waiting lists and diversity co-ordinators on 50k a year. There is no contest, Thai health system is far superior and well equipped to cope. 

What a load of ridiculous bollock.....

OK, considering what time it is in UK, I will disregard this post ....

8 minutes ago, Esco said:

As there had been no local infections for months in the area and the woman in question hadn't traveled abroad of course they had to consider a foreign connection, especially in an area full of migrants from Myanmar where infections are rife. 

She might have caught it from one of the many people that come to the market. From what I understand it's the largest one in Thailand and people have been encouraged to get out and do things to help the economy.

I went out there to have lunch a few times when I lived in Bangkok. People traveling to the south stop there a lot, too.

Let's just hope they nip it in the bud quickly. 

15 minutes ago, Esco said:

Its not bollocks though. Thailand is up there with the best of the world, as is France by the way. 

https://www.numbeo.com/health-care/rankings_by_country.jsp

10 minutes ago, lazarus said:

I've been to both the best private hospitals in Bangkok and to small country clinics...

All good.

Remove private hospitals and clinics which most ordinary people can not afford.

Consider only the (free) public hospitals, things will sure look very different, specially in rural areas.

31 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Remove private hospitals and clinics which most ordinary people can not afford.

Consider only the (free) public hospitals, things will sure look very different, specially in rural areas.

Nonsense. 

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

It wouldn't be so worrisome if Samut Sakhon wasn't part of the Bangkok Metropolitan Area with a population of 14 million. If it were a more isolated community then the authorities would have a much easier job of locking down the area to prevent further spread. But BMA with a population density of 5,300/km2, those 500+ known cases could easily infect thousands more.

Agreed, the government seems to be fairly relaxed about this outbreak as most of those affected are migrant workers who tend to stay at work or where they live, they don't travel around a lot. The problem with that is the Thai shrimp wholesaler who tested positive was clearly infected before the long four-day holiday weekend we just had, so it's a reasonable bet that others were too, and they may well have travelled into Bangkok or elsewhere for the holiday to see friends and family. We'll know by the New Year, anyway.

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

What a load of ridiculous bollock.....

OK, considering what time it is in UK, I will disregard this post ....

Disregard whatever you want, doesn't mean its not true. The Thai healthcare system is far superior to that of most nations, including France or Ireland. Thailand is more than capable of handling a tiny rise in covid19 cases. It certainly does not need a hysterical overreaction, although I fear that's what is going to happen. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Disregard whatever you want, doesn't mean its not true. The Thai healthcare system is far superior to that of most nations, including France or Ireland. Thailand is more than capable of handling a tiny rise in covid19 cases. It certainly does not need a hysterical overreaction, although I fear that's what is going to happen. 

It ain't the health care system which brings an outbreak under control.

It's

• Testing. How does Thailand rank with regards to testing?
  • Contact tracing. Trace the contacts of 538 people at a Thai market.
  • The measures to firewall the outbreak.
  • The willingness of the population to observe distancing and isolation procedures. Good luck with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

It ain't the health care system which brings an outbreak under control.

It's

• Testing. How does Thailand rank with regards to testing?
  • Contact tracing. Trace the contacts of 538 people at a Thai market.
  • The measures to firewall the outbreak.
  • The willingness of the population to observe distancing and isolation procedures. Good luck with that.

Regarding your last point; the Thais in general are much more afraid of catching Covid than your average westerner. They've practiced social distancing and wearing masks for months even when there wasn't any covid to be concerned about, so I'm quite confident people will do what's necessary to combat this latest outbreak. 

3 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

Sure mate, sure....

Look the list posted by Esco....Thailand beats France obviously. If you read upside down, as you obviously do.

Idiot !

Image 7.jpg

Get sober before posting...

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Sure mate, sure....

Look the list posted by Esco....Thailand beats France obviously. If you read upside down, as you obviously do.

Idiot !

Image 7.jpg

Get sober before posting...

Thus spoke the Bintang king lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

Out of the bag? 

Behave FFS, Thailand has a population of over 60 million, 500+ cases in a population of over 60 million is nothing to worry about. 

I'm sure at 500 cases in the UK and many other countries they thought it was nothing to worry about, look at them now.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, lazarus said:

She might have caught it from one of the many people that come to the market. From what I understand it's the largest one in Thailand and people have been encouraged to get out and do things to help the economy.

I went out there to have lunch a few times when I lived in Bangkok. People traveling to the south stop there a lot, too.

Let's just hope they nip it in the bud quickly. 

unfortunately ...spreading quickly.

. . .

INFECTIONS FROM SEAFOOD MARKET OUTBREAK FOUND IN BANGKOK, OTHER PROVINCES

Major update: Samut Sakhon reported 146 fresh coronavirus cases for Sunday, several media agencies quoted deputy provincial governor Surasak Polyangsong as saying.

BANGKOK — A second wave of coronavirus epidemic appears to be a reality on Sunday with the discoveries of new infections linked to the recent cluster of over 500 cases at the country’s largest wholesale seafood market.

New virus cases reported today include two in Bangkok. One of them was identified as a 78-year-old seafood seller who traveled to the Central Shrimp Market in Samut Sakhon province some time between Dec. 1 and Dec. 11. She reportedly tested positive on Dec. 18 after falling ill with the virus. No details on the other patient are available as of publication time.

The government’s coronavirus response center urged anyone who have visited the seafood market in Samut Sakhon from Dec. 1 onwards to report themselves for testing at any hospital, free of charge. Bangkok City Hall spokesman Pongsakorn Kwanmuang posted a similar announcement in an online post.

“If there is any information update, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration will inform you immediately,” Pongsakorn wrote. “I’d like to ask everyone to keep wearing facemasks, washing their hands, and maintaining social distancing.”

Health officials also reported that two people in Nakhon Pathom tested positive for the virus; both of them seafood vendors who had a history of travels to the Central Shrimp Market. More cases are discovered in Samut Sakhon (146), Samut Prakan (3), and Ayutthaya (1).

The Central Shrimp Market is part of the sprawling Mahachai Market in Samut Sakhon, about 50 kilometers away from Bangkok. Officials said at least 548 coronavirus cases were connected to the market, most of them migrant workers from Myanmar.

Pandemic response center spokesman Taweesin Visanuyothin said health officials are aiming to test at least 10,000 people in Samut Sakhon in the coming days. The center is also set to advise PM Prayut Chan-o-cha to cancel all New Year celebration events in areas deemed to be at risk of coronavirus, media reports said. 

The discoveries come after Thailand saw only a small number of infections over the past several months due to strict border and quarantine controls, though some health professionals have repeatedly said that a return of the coronavirus was an expected outcome.

“Judging from the situations, the second wave of the outbreak is inevitable for us, which is something we must do our best to prepare for,” Chulalongkorn Hospital virologist Yong Poovorawan said back in October.

Samut Sakhon Gov. Veerasak Vichitsangsri said late Saturday that strict measures, including a 10 p.m.-5 a.m. curfew and other travel restrictions, will be taken in the province to combat the outbreak. Shopping malls, gyms, schools, nurseries and sport venues were ordered closed. Migrant workers are also banned from leaving or entering Samut Sakhon.

The restrictions will be in effect until Jan. 3. Thailand currently has fewer than 6,000 cumulative coronavirus cases and 60 deaths linked to the disease.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/12/20/infections-from-seafood-market-outbreak-found-in-bangkok-other-provinces/?fbclid=IwAR1ZeyXHesDk_R8ujMkKwYHvAEHyEBmscA-g4pScckiVwVzRTCfl9oqkgOw

On 12/19/2020 at 8:47 AM, lazarus said:

Yet...the confirmed case death rate in the US is 1.79%

On 12/19/2020 at 9:11 AM, fygjam said:

Yep, and globally about 1.3%. (deaths/cases. I think one can assume that a case means a positive test).

On 12/19/2020 at 9:40 AM, fygjam said:

Globally. . . . is approximately 0.148%

Some different means of measuremeant there I suspect.  How many of these died with Covid rather than of Covid?  It was no secret earlier in the year that hospitals were getting funding based on the numbers they reported so it benefited them to manipulate the figures.

• Like 2