COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

5 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Emm, why? I think they mean that we cannot resume normality as we knew it 3 months ago until safe to do so. What's in it for any government to have shops closed, factories closed, pubs closed and people spending less money? Why would they want that? Once we get on top of the virus, there will be no need for social distancing and masks etc. Freedom of people leads to a better economy.  I think that most governments want to see things back to the old normal but it won't be for a while. Most people want the old normal but know it won't happen over night

There is a answer why they dont want to go back to the old normal but I am to lazy to go into it all just now........But if you can find even one  mainstream news article talking about how we need to get back to the old normal please post it here....I have yet to see one......No time limit just one article......I would love to see it.....  

Astonishing insight into just how arrogant Richard Branson really is. He's tried to tap up the UK taxpayer for a £500 million loan for his airline.

Had not realise he had a space exploration business Virgin Galactic worth billions. Now that the UK Govt has told him to f**k off, he's sold off a fifth yes, only a fifth share in Virgin Galactic to fund his airline.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/11/richard-branson-to-sell-500m-worth-of-virgin-galactic-shares

The icing on the cake of his arrogance was the billionaire tax exile, when cashing in his own chips has only raised £405 million. Guess the extra £95 million he was expecting to bleed out the peasants was a bonus.

• Like 5
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Astonishing insight into just how arrogant Richard Branson really is. He's tried to tap up the UK taxpayer for a £500 million loan for his airline.

Had not realise he had a space exploration business Virgin Galactic worth billions. Now that the UK Govt has told him to f**k off, he's sold off a fifth yes, only a fifth share in Virgin Galactic to fund his airline.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/11/richard-branson-to-sell-500m-worth-of-virgin-galactic-shares

The icing on the cake of his arrogance was the billionaire tax exile, when cashing in his own chips has only raised £405 million. Guess the extra £95 million he was expecting to bleed out the peasants was a bonus.

The sense of entitlement is outrageous. Fucker hasn't paid a wing of proper tax in his life.

38 minutes ago, lazarus said:

I just received this note (below) from a friend who had it for over a month. I ordered an O2 monitor for her.
She lives in one of the US' early hot spots.

Hi 'Laz', the monitor arrived. I need to pick up some batteries for it. I’d like to try it out and see what happens as I start to up my excersize level.  

I see dr Paris next Monday and hope to hear what he says about my chances of contracting it again now that I’m hopefully building antibodies.
We’ll see I have to wait to get tested. Any way I can send it back to you but I would like to monitor myself as we reopen.

Thank you so much🙏💖
I hope you guys are doing great! 
I’m on my way to the clinic fir blood tests to see why 1/2 of my hair fell out while I was sick!

She is one of the lucky ones, my mate was taken to hospital Easter Friday and died the next Thursday. 

Before the virus he was in good health and had only recently had a full medical to renew his HGV license as he needed one annually as he was over 65.

But some here still bury their head in the sand. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, galenkia said:

She is one of the lucky ones, my mate was taken to hospital Easter Friday and died the next Thursday. 

Before the virus he was in good health and had only recently had a full medical to renew his HGV license as he needed one annually as he was over 65.

But some here still bury their head in the sand. 

Very sorry to hear about your work pal. I have  a mate who is currently in hospital with complications from the virus. Unable to visit him and having to get info via his sister. He is only 56 and as far as I know, no major previous health conditions. 

It brings home as to how serious this is when you have someone close to suffering and not just a remote statistic on the daily news. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

TB is a gigantic problem ... it used to be non-existent in the USA ... but, due to illegal immigrants another story ...

There is a vaccine against TB that you cannot guarantee .. ( yea, I got a couple when I was a kid ) .. just like all vaccinations -- preventive medicine but never a guarantee

But, there are pills and a protocol that you can take once you get it ... TB is not easy to diagnose until you are coughing your ass off ... prior to that you are a contagious f**k .... without knowing ... and a couple of weeks after you are finally diagnosed ...

In Thailand here .. TB is still pretty prevalent ... the Institute of Health here in Thailand ( with ICD-10 diagnostics that are submitted every 30 days ) estimate about 1M cases per year ...

I would say about 8 - 10 years ago ... I was diagnosed with TB here ( WTF ) ... I am 100% certain I contacted in the hospital(s) where I work .. not sure what hospital because I work in many of them ... I lost about 30 pounds or so ...

Anyway the hospital gave me an ABI test .. proof positive ... I had to take a heavy dose of pills for the first week or so ... after that I was not contagious .... then after that 9 pills a day for at least 6 months ... then another couple pills a day for another 3 months ...

Perfectly healthy after about 10 months ....

So, 1M estimated cases here in Thailand .. lets not include Los, Cambodia, Burma, Vietnam, etc., etc.,

The 1.5M number quoted above is ... I don't think accurate .. I am pretty certain that there are well over 10 - 15 times that number -- but, due to the pills and treatments that are available .. significantly reduced and almost eradicated in most countries ...

Joe, it's 1,5 M deaths.  And 10 M people having it.  Number are 2018.

And yes, I remember being told in the 90's in BKK to be carefull about TB.

• A total of 1.5 million people died from TB in 2018 (including 251 000 people with HIV). Worldwide, TB is one of the top 10 causes of death and the leading cause from a single infectious agent (above HIV/AIDS).
  • In 2018, an estimated 10 million people fell ill with tuberculosis(TB) worldwide. 5.7 million men, 3.2 million women and 1.1 million children. There were cases in all countries and age groups. But TB is curable and preventable.

43 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Joe, it's 1,5 M deaths.  And 10 M people having it.  Number are 2018.

And yes, I remember being told in the 90's in BKK to be carefull about TB.

• A total of 1.5 million people died from TB in 2018 (including 251 000 people with HIV). Worldwide, TB is one of the top 10 causes of death and the leading cause from a single infectious agent (above HIV/AIDS).
  • In 2018, an estimated 10 million people fell ill with tuberculosis(TB) worldwide. 5.7 million men, 3.2 million women and 1.1 million children. There were cases in all countries and age groups. But TB is curable and preventable.

What % of cases/deaths were in Europe and Western countries? I thought that the top 20 countries with TB burden were in Africa and Asian countries mainly.  The spread and mortality rate much higher in poorer countries and where vaccines and health care not always available 

The reason that I am asking is because here in the UK the number of TB cases in 2018 was approx 4,673.

To date in just over 3.months, over 223,000 cases of Covid 19 have been recorded. 

Perhaps the vast difference in cases reflects the urgency and measures that are currently being taken to combat the spread and fatality rate of Covid 19

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

What % of cases/deaths were in Europe and Western countries? I thought that the top 20 countries with TB burden were in Africa and Asian countries mainly.  The spread and mortality rate much higher in poorer countries and where vaccines and health care not always available 

The point is :

Did those countries (including Thailand) went on total lockdown because of T.B. ? 

Did the Western developped countries banned travelling to T.B. countries ?

Did Western countries applied a quarantine on travellers returning from T.B. countries ?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

The point is :

Did those countries (including Thailand) went on total lockdown because of T.B. ? 

Did the Western developped countries banned travelling to T.B. countries ?

Did Western countries applied a quarantine on travellers returning from T.B. countries ?

Sorry I was just adding some stats to my previous posts as you were posting. See my last paragraph

But the answer to your question is no. The reason being that the cases were local and not largely imported. Although a number of cases were from foreign workers from places like Cambodia as regards to Thailand 

Africa by far as a continent has the most cases of TB in the world. But hey, no one really cares about Africa do they as long as its not on their own doorstep. 

Covid 19 is a rapidly spreading virus which can be transfered by touch as well as being airborne. Look at the rate it expanded in Wuhan in just a month

• Like 1

As an aside, when my wife applied for her first UK visa she had to have a chest cray in BKK and report to separate health check area with documents to show that her test was negative. Many people are screened coming from high risk TB countries and has been the case for a number of years. 

Testing kits are still not widely available for C19 being a new virus nor can it be detected by xray. Comparing Covid 19 and TB is NOT like for like

Only a few hundred people died in UK of TB related illness last year. Thousands have already died from Corona virus related illness in just 3 months. That is huge difference. 

Perhaps if the UK govt had acted quicker then maybe our numbers would have been lower. Plus continuing to allow millions of passengers entering our boarders for the last 3 months with no checks or quarantine has added to the numbers too

The majority of deaths including natural causes are from 

Heart disease

Cancer

Stroke

Alzheimer and dementia,

Diabetes

Liver/kidney disease 

None of which are viruses nor which are normally caused by viruses

You can't catch a suicide or car accident. They are human error

But then add in Covid 19 into the mix and the death rate escalates rapidly

I've been in touch with a friend in Seoul, South Korea almost everyday since before the COVID-19 pandemic began. In the last couple of weeks he's been telling me that life was slowly getting back to normal, sending me photos of people on the street, and otherwise in positive spirits.

Then this just happened...(showing how contagious the virus is and how social distancing is difficult in many venues):

"The weekend before last, a 29-year-old South Korean man visited five nightclubs in Seoul, where he partied with around 7,200 other people. Five days later — on the same day South Korea relaxed social distancing measures — he tested positive for Covid-19, becoming the country’s first local infection in four days.

According to South Korean health officials, nearly 80 new Covid-19 cases have been linked to the man’s outing in the Itaewon neighborhood. And on Monday, officials announced 35 new confirmed infections — the highest total in about a month — of which 29 may have originated from those five nightclubs..."

Full story: https://www.vox.com/2020/5/11/21254451/south-korea-nightclub-outbreak-coronavirus-infections-reopening-dangers

Edited by lazarus
haa-choo

9 minutes ago, lazarus said:

I've been in touch with a friend in Seoul, South Korea almost everyday since before the COVID-19 pandemic began. In the last couple of weeks he's been telling me that life was slowly getting back to normal, sending me photos of people on the street, and otherwise in positive spirits.

Then this just happened...(showing how contagious the virus is and how social distancing is difficult in many venues):

"The weekend before last, a 29-year-old South Korean man visited five nightclubs in Seoul, where he partied with around 7,200 other people. Five days later — on the same day South Korea relaxed social distancing measures — he tested positive for Covid-19, becoming the country’s first local infection in four days.

According to South Korean health officials, nearly 80 new Covid-19 cases have been linked to the man’s outing in the Itaewon neighborhood. And on Monday, officials announced 35 new confirmed infections — the highest total in about a month — of which 29 may have originated from those five nightclubs..."

Full story: https://www.vox.com/2020/5/11/21254451/south-korea-nightclub-outbreak-coronavirus-infections-reopening-dangers

I saw that article. Many things to be said about this.

Why highligthing Itaewon ? Why not the subway or bus, that they all likely took to go there ? 29 cases MAY have originated from there ......   Profile of the 29 cases ? Male, young ?  I read also it was in a homo environment etc....

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

I saw that article. Many things to be said about this.

Why highligthing Itaewon ? Why not the subway or bus, that they all likely took to go there ? 29 cases MAY have originated from there ......   Profile of the 29 cases ? Male, young ?  I read also it was in a homo environment etc....

Maybe he/they were having unprotected sex with multiple partners?

Hey...aren't you the expert..? 🤠

? ? ?
Itaewon is an international district frequented by many nationalities. There were also infections linked to Gangnam clubs.
Most club goers in Seoul take taxis. Even before COVID-19 many people there wore masks in public (at least).
Seoul clubs are open all night long, well into the morning. Therefore, people are in close proximity for extended periods of time.
After this story broke last week there was an outcry that "tracing" would "out" people in LGBTQ community...homosexuality is legal in SK.

>>> Photo I snapped outside of a Gangnam nightclub back in June 2019 at 7am ...

20190622-IMG_9839.jpg

Edited by lazarus
kimchi

6 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

How do you know that the information is not relevant? Why do you think that we are not being told everything. Is there some sort of World. Orwelian plot at foot or some major conspiracy to take over the lives of people??? 

Why would every country affected by the virus spend trillions of dollars fighting the virus and weakening their economies it they did not think it right?.. It really makes no sense. 

What has the world to gain from C19??? 

I think that a number of mistakes have been made particularly in the time some governments have taken to react

How do you know the information is relevant? I think that we are not being told everything by the daily news conferences that different countries give daily and by the questions being asked it is clear that some questions are misdirected in the answer or jut ignored. If you haven't noticed.... authorities have taken over some parts of our daily lives...lets see if we get all the restrictions removed when the authorities deem it is all over. Looks like we will have to agree to disagree.

Take care fighting your "war."

cheers

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Another long article, but one of the best I've seen so far in explaining the dangers of COVID-19.  Some other links:

Coronavirus destroys lungs. But doctors are finding its damage in kidneys, hearts and elsewhere.

Young and middle-aged people, barely sick with covid-19, are dying of strokes

Children are falling ill with perplexing inflammatory syndrome thought to be linked to covid-19

A mysterious blood-clotting complication is killing coronavirus patients

Frostbite’ toes and other peculiar rashes may be signs of hidden coronavirus infection, especially in the young

Evil

coronasmaller.jpg

WP1.jpg

Doctors keep discovering new ways 
the coronavirus attacks the body 

Lenny Bernstein, Ariana Eunjung Cha 15 hrs ago 

Deborah Coughlin was neither short of breath nor coughing. In those first days after she became infected by the novel coronavirus, her fever never spiked above 100 degrees. It was vomiting and diarrhea that brought her to a Hartford, Conn., emergency room on May 1. 

“You would have thought it was a stomach virus,” said her daughter, Catherina Coleman. “She was talking and walking and completely coherent.” 

But even as Coughlin, 67, chatted with her daughters on her cellphone, the oxygen level in her blood dropped so low that most patients would be near death. She is on a ventilator and in critical condition at St. Francis Hospital, one more patient with a strange constellation of symptoms that physicians are racing to recognize, explain and treat. 

“At the beginning, we didn’t know what we were dealing with,” said Valentin Fuster, physician-in-chief at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City, the epicenter of the U.S. outbreak. “We were seeing patients dying in front of us. It was all of a sudden, you’re in a different ballgame, and you don’t know why.” 

Today, there is widespread recognition the novel coronavirus is far more unpredictable than a simple respiratory virus. Often it attacks the lungs, but it can also strike anywhere from the brain to the toes. Many doctors are focused on treating the inflammatory reactions it triggers and its capacity to cause blood clots, even as they struggle to help patients breathe.

Learning about a new disease on the fly, with more than 78,000 U.S. deaths attributed to the pandemic, they have little solid research to guide them. The World Health Organization’s database already lists more than 14,600 papers on covid-19. Even the world’s premier public health agencies, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, have constantly altered their advice to keep pace with new developments. 

“We don’t know why there are so many disease presentations,” said Angela Rasmussen, a virologist at the Center for Infection and Immunity at Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health. “Bottom line, this is just so new that there’s a lot we don’t know.” 

More than four months of clinical experience across Asia, Europe and North America has shown the pathogen does much more than invade the lungs. “No one was expecting a disease that would not fit the pattern of pneumonia and respiratory illness,” said David Reich, a cardiac anesthesiologist and president of Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City.

It attacks the heart, weakening its muscles and disrupting its critical rhythm. It savages kidneys so badly some hospitals have run short of dialysis equipment. It crawls along the nervous system, destroying taste and smell and occasionally reaching the brain. It creates blood clots that can kill with sudden efficiency and inflames blood vessels throughout the body.

It can begin with a few symptoms or none at all, then days later, squeeze the air out of the lungs without warning. It picks on the elderly, people weakened by previous disease, and, disproportionately, the obese. It harms men more than women, but there are also signs it complicates pregnancies. 

Symptoms of covid-19 appear to include: 
Brain: Strokes from blood clots, neurological issues 
Eyes: Pinkeye 
Nose: Loss of smell and taste (anosmia) 
Blood: Unexpected blood clotting; attacks the lining of blood vessels 
Gastro­intestinal system: Vomiting and diarrhea in some people 
Lungs: Clogs and inflames alveoli (air sacs), hampering breathing; pulmonary embolism from breakaway blood clots and microclots 
Heart: Weakens heart muscle; causes dangerous arrhythmias and heart attacks due to small clots 
Kidneys: Damage to structures that filter waste from blood; patients often require dialysis 
Skin: “Covid toes,” or fingers, a purple rash from the attack on blood vessels 
Immune system: Widespread impact, including overactive immune response that attacks healthy tissue 

It mostly spares the young. Until it doesn’t: Last week, doctors warned of a rare inflammatory reaction with cardiac complications among children that may be connected to the virus. On Friday, New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo (D) announced 73 children had fallen severely ill in the state and a 5-year-old boy in New York City had become the first child to die of the syndrome. Two more children had succumbed as of Saturday.

That news has shaken many doctors, who felt they were finally grasping the full dimensions of the disease in adults. “We were all thinking this is a disease that kills old people, not kids,” Reich said. 

Mount Sinai has treated five children with the condition. Reich said each started with gastrointestinal symptoms, which turned into inflammatory complications that caused very low blood pressure and expanded their blood vessels. This led to heart failure in the case of the first child who died. 

“The pattern of disease was different than anything else with covid,” he said. 

Of the millions, perhaps billions, of coronaviruses, six were previously known to infect humans. Four cause colds that spread easily each winter, barely noticed. Another was responsible for the outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome that killed 774 people in 2003. Yet another sparked the outbreak of Middle East respiratory syndrome in 2012, which kills 34 percent of the people who contract it. But few do. 

SARS-CoV-2, the bad seed of the coronavirus family, is the seventh. It has managed to combine the infectiousness of its cold-causing cousins with some of the lethality of SARS and MERS. It can spread before people show symptoms of disease, making it difficult to control, especially without widespread and accurate testing. At the moment, social distancing is the only effective countermeasure. 

It has infected 4 million people around the globe, killing more than 280,000, according to the Johns Hopkins University Coronavirus Resource Center. In the United States, 1.3 million have been infected and more than 78,000 have died.  Had SARS or MERS spread as widely as this virus, Rasmussen said, they might have shown the same capacity to attack beyond the lungs. But they were snuffed out quickly, leaving only a small sample of disease and death.

Trying to define a pathogen in the midst of an ever-spreading epidemic is fraught with difficulties. Experts say it will be years until it is understood how the disease damages organs and how medications, genetics, diets, lifestyles and distancing impact its course.

“This is a virus that literally did not exist in humans six months ago,” said Geoffrey Barnes, an assistant professor at the University of Michigan who works in cardiovascular medicine. “We had to rapidly learn how this virus impacts the human body and identify ways to treat it literally in a time-scale of weeks. With many other diseases, we have had decades.”

In the initial days of the outbreak, most efforts focused on the lungs. SARS-CoV-2 infects both the upper and lower respiratory tracts, eventually working its way deep into the lungs, filling tiny air sacs with cells and fluid that choke off the flow of oxygen.

But many scientists have come to believe that much of the disease’s devastation comes from two intertwined causes.  The first is the harm the virus wreaks on blood vessels, leading to clots that can range from microscopic to sizable. Patients have suffered strokes and pulmonary emboli as clots break loose and travel to the brain and lungs. A study in the Lancet, a British medical journal, showed this may be because the virus directly targets the endothelial cells that line blood vessels.

The second is an exaggerated response from the body’s own immune system, a storm of killer “cytokines” that attack the body’s own cells along with the virus as it seeks to defend the body from an invader. 

Research and therapies are focused on these phenomena. Blood thinners are being more widely used in some hospitals. A review of records for 2,733 patients, published Wednesday in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, indicates they may help the most seriously ill. 

“Things change in science all the time. Theories are made and thrown out. Hypotheses are tweaked. It doesn’t mean we don’t know what we are doing. It means we are learning,” said Deepak Bhatt, executive director of interventional cardiology at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston.

Inflammation of those endothelial cells lining blood vessels may help explain why the virus harms so many parts of the body, said Mandeep Mehra, a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and one of the authors of the Lancet study on how covid-19 attacks blood vessels. That means defeating covid-19 will require more than antiviral therapy, he said. 

“What this virus does is it starts as a viral infection and becomes a more global disturbance to the immune system and blood vessels — and what kills is exactly that,” Mehra said. “Our hypothesis is that covid-19 begins as a respiratory virus and kills as a cardiovascular virus.” 

The thinking of kidney specialists has evolved along similar lines. Initially, they attributed widespread and severe kidney disease to the damage caused by ventilators and certain medications given to intensive-care patients, said Daniel Batlle, a professor of medicine at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine.

Then they noticed damage to the waste-filtering kidney cells of patients even before they needed intensive care. And studies out of Wuhan found the pathogen in the kidneys themselves, leading to speculation the virus is harming the organ.  “There was nothing unique at first,” Batlle said. But the new information “shows this is beyond the regular bread-and-butter acute kidney injury that we normally see.”

Like other coronaviruses, SARS-Cov-2 infiltrates the body by attaching to a receptor, ACE2, found on some cells. But the makeup of the spikes that protrude from this virus is somewhat different, allowing the virus to bind more tightly. As a result, fewer virus particles are required to infect the host. This also may help explain why this virus is so much more infectious than SARS, Rasmussen said.

Other factors can’t be ruled out in transmission, she said, including the amount of virus people shed and how strictly they observe social distancing rules.

Once inside a cell, the virus replicates, causing chaos. ACE2 receptors, which help regulate blood pressure, are plentiful in the lungs, kidneys and intestines — organs hit hard by the pathogen in many patients. That also may be why high blood pressure has emerged as one of the most common preexisting conditions in people who become severely ill with covid-19. 

The receptors differ from person to person, leading to speculation that genetics may explain some of the variability in symptoms and how sick some people become.

Those cells “are almost everywhere, so it makes sense that the virus would cause damage throughout the body,” said Mitchell Elkind, a professor of neurology at Columbia University’s College of Physicians and Surgeons and president-elect of the American Heart Association.

Inflammation spurs clotting as white blood cells fight off infection. They interact with platelets and activate them in a way that increases the likelihood of clotting, Elkind said.

Such reactions have been seen in severe infections, such as sepsis. But for covid-19, he said, “we are seeing this in a large number of people in a very short time, so it really stands out.” 

“The virus can attack a lot of different parts of the body, and we don’t understand why it causes some problems for some people, different problems for others — and no problems at all for a large proportion,” Elkind said.

Coughlin, in critical condition at a hospital in Connecticut, deteriorated quickly after she reached the emergency room. Her fever shot up to 105 and pneumonia developed in her lungs. 

On Wednesday, she called her six daughters on FaceTime, telling them doctors advised she go on a ventilator. 
“If something happens to me, and I don’t make it, I’m at peace with it,” she told them.

The conversation broke daughter Coleman’s heart.

“I am deciding to help her go on a ventilator, and she may never come off,” she said. “That could have been my last phone conversation with her.”  

An excellent summary of what you might expect although the one liner

Immune system: Widespread impact, including overactive immune response that attacks healthy tissue

does tend to minimize what it means.

Now that sufficient time has elapsed, "recovered" Covid-19 victims are coming down with Guillain-Barre syndrome.

Guillain-Barre (gee-YAH-buh-RAY) syndrome is a rare disorder in which your body's immune
system attacks your nerves. Weakness and tingling in your extremities are usually the first
symptoms.

These sensations can quickly spread, eventually paralyzing your whole body. In its most severe
form Guillain-Barre syndrome is a medical emergency. Most people with the condition must be
hospitalized to receive treatment.

The exact cause of Guillain-Barre syndrome is unknown. But two-thirds of patients report
symptoms of an infection in the six weeks preceding. These include respiratory or a gastrointestinal
infection or Zika virus.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/guillain-barre-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20362793

I guess you can now add the SARS-CoV-2 virus to the list of infectious agents.

And on the issue of hypercoagulability, a front line doctor who is a sometime guest on a podcast I listen to reports that patients on the maximum dosage of warfarin are still throwing blood clots.

10 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Now that sufficient time has elapsed, "recovered" Covid-19 victims are coming down with Guillain-Barre syndrome.

Guillain-Barre (gee-YAH-buh-RAY) syndrome is a rare disorder in which your body's immune
system attacks your nerves. Weakness and tingling in your extremities are usually the first
symptoms.

These sensations can quickly spread, eventually paralyzing your whole body. In its most severe
form Guillain-Barre syndrome is a medical emergency. Most people with the condition must be

The exact cause of Guillain-Barre syndrome is unknown. But two-thirds of patients report
symptoms of an infection in the six weeks preceding. These include respiratory or a gastrointestinal
infection or Zika virus.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/guillain-barre-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20362793

And on the issue of hypercoagulability, a front line doctor who is a sometime guest on a podcast I listen to reports that patients on the maximum dosage of warfarin are still throwing blood clots.

The world is doomed.... we better start to wear cosmonaute suites right now !

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

That's in very, very poor post. You should edit that and take that down,

Well, if one has been boasting about being smarter and greater than anybody else in the world, expect to have it come back as a boomerang if you faill....

45 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

That's in very, very poor post. You should edit that and take that down,

I'm sorry but it is a verifiable fact. America does lead the world in total Covid-19 deaths. However someone is trying to deflect attention from that fact by posing between meaningless banners. While it is true that America has now conducted more Covid-19 tests than any other country it only ranks 39th in the world in tests per capita.

My highlighting of the enormous death toll in the USA is not meant to denigrate the front line health professionals for whom I have the utmost respect. They were always fighting an uphill battle due to lack of PPE for their own protection and lack of the tools necessary to care for their patients.

Edited by fygjam
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, fygjam said:

I'm sorry but it is a verifiable fact. America does lead the world in total Covid-19 deaths. However someone is trying to deflect attention from that fact by posing between meaningless banners. While it is true that America has now conducted more Covid-19 tests than any other country it only ranks 39th in the world in tests per capita.

My highlighting of the enormous death toll in the USA is not meant to denigrate the front line health professionals for whom I have the utmost respect. They were always fighting an uphill battle due to lack of PPE for their own protection and lack of the tools necessary to care for their patients.

Something be verifiable doesn't make it OK to turn it into a tasteless joke. I find some of the anti- COVID arguments on here, crass and tasteless but no need to sink to the same levels in arguing against them- however difficult that might be.

If you are referring to fforest posting meaningless banners, I don't agree with much of what he posts but I've not found it offensive.  I do find your post offensive, Thai Spice it seems doesn't so you are not alone in thinking it OK👍

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

deaths per million roughly 50% of Spain,Italy and UK 

They have more cases as they are testing large numbers now but testing rates per million are below Spain Italy  and interstinly Russia ..so they have got a way to go with this

3 hours ago, fygjam said:

symptoms.

infection or Zika virus.

Seems we need to be targeting VWF, (exposed by endothelial cell dysfunction in SARS COV 2)  in addition to the  coagulation cascade..

N Acetyl Cysteine  may in part fit the bill