COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

Watched the start of this new covid drug trial on TV tonight. Possible new vaccine from Cambridge University that can be delivered by an “Air Injection” so no need of needles, plus, it could come in powder form so negates the need for special transportation or cold storage.

Early days, but could come good.🤔

https://www.cam.ac.uk/stories/DIOSCoVax_safetytrial

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

Watched the start of this new covid drug trial on TV tonight. Possible new vaccine from Cambridge University that can be delivered by an “Air Injection” so no need of needles, plus, it could come in powder form so negates the need for special transportation or cold storage.

Early days, but could come good.🤔

https://www.cam.ac.uk/stories/DIOSCoVax_safetytrial

We could certainly do with some good news.. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Painter said:

Something to do with why there are more vaccinated in hospital than unvaccinated.... I think. It was a couple of days ago now, and whilst I'd written the post, I hadn't clicked save!

Probably related to this...

Fact Check-Claims about COVID-19 hospitalisations by vaccine status lack context

A misstatement about COVID-19 data made on British breakfast television has prompted a further thread of misinformation online.

Dr Hilary Jones, a general practitioner and TV presenter, falsely claimed on Dec. 6 that 90% of COVID-19 patients in hospital in England had not received a vaccine.
The agency told Reuters that the data showed overall hospitalisations of people with COVID-19. It does not have data on admissions to intensive care units (ICU).

According to this data, around 39% of people in hospital with COVID-19 are unvaccinated, while 55% are double vaccinated.

It is misleading, however, to use this figure to suggest the vaccines don’t work, as some social media users have claimed.

“In the context of very high vaccine coverage in the population, even with a highly effective vaccine, it is expected that a large proportion of cases, hospitalisations and deaths would occur in vaccinated individuals, simply because a larger proportion of the population are vaccinated than unvaccinated and no vaccine is 100% effective,” the UKHSA explained in a disclaimer.

“This is especially true because vaccination has been prioritised in individuals who are more susceptible or more at risk of severe disease. Individuals in risk groups may also be more at risk of hospitalisation or death due to non-COVID-19 causes, and thus may be hospitalised or die with COVID-19 rather than because of COVID-19.”

We need more detail about what’s being reported in the daily COVID-19 death data, and governments should be transparent about what is (and is not) being counted as a COVID-19 death.

Dying "with" Covid, because it combined with a pre-existing condition, like deep vein thrombosis, is still death unless you take Covid out of the equation, right? 

Dying "of" Covid, which the research says is a about 65% of those infected, is still death too.

Arguing over the semantics of dying "with" or "of" Covid is just asinine in my view.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, lazarus said:

Same here in California...we've kept Covid infections low for awhile.
New infections are on the rise...the new mandates will help keep it in control.

. . .

California’s indoor mask mandate begins tomorrow. Here are the new requirements

https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/article/California-mask-mandate-dates-and-details-What-16699308.php

Officials announced these changes:

• All people must wear masks in public settings in California, regardless of vaccination status.

• The state will require people attending mega-events attended by 1,000 or more that don’t require COVID-19 vaccination to show proof of a negative test taken within one day for an antigen test, and within two days for a PCR test. Previously, the window was 72 hours.

• The state will recommend that travelers returning to California get tested for the coronavirus three to five days after arrival.

. . .

San Francisco is off the hook though as they've done so well controlling Covid...

. . .

San Francisco offices, gyms granted reprieve from state mask mandate as California clarifies rules

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Latest-mask-mandate-a-test-of-emotional-16702386.php

San Francisco offices and gyms where everyone is fully vaccinated will not need to return to masking, after California on Tuesday clarified where its new, universal face mask rule applies, granting the city a reprieve.

“This refinement acknowledges the hard work of the people of San Francisco throughout the pandemic, including the ways in which we have maintained reasonable protections heading into the holiday season,” San Francisco’s Department of Public Health said in a statement.

The news came just as Bay Area businesses were bracing — with weary resignation — for a return of masking following the state’s announcement of a new indoor mandate Monday.

San Francisco Health Officer Dr. Susan Philip said the state, by allowing local jurisdictions to continue local mask exemptions for certain settings, is recognizing the efforts that places like San Francisco have taken throughout the pandemic to control spread....

22 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

A trick that can be used on a lot of the paywall sites is to stop the page from fully loading by clicking on the X icon. If you stop the page load quickly enough at the right time, the text will have loaded but the script that informs you need to pay to read will not have loaded.

Disabling javascript is supposed to work too.

7 minutes ago, Kathmandu said:

Good move. Your numbers are through the roof. Vietnam too...and in the UK even worse.

Shouldn't be too long before the USA will be in the vanguard as well. Good job anti-vaxasses.

Wrong! Latest percentage of UK citizens being vaxed. What so many had deemed a "pandemic of the anti-vaxed", could not have been more wrong. Just more pablum.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Can you supply a link for the above from the official British Airways website as I have searched for verification from BA and cannot find it? I note that your post is copied from Twitter. 

Chang Fai posted this, he never posts nonsense......My 2 minute search also showed nothing, but maybe this just happened...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nightcrawler said:

Can you supply a link for the above from the official British Airways website as I have searched for verification from BA and cannot find it? I note that your post is copied from Twitter. 

I understand it was an e mail to persons with bookings.

Some good, or bad news...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/12/15/omicron-spreads-70-times-faster-airways-delta-10-times-slower/

Omicron multiplies 70 times faster in the airways than delta yet replicates 10 times more slowly in the lungs, which may explain why it is very transmissible but less severe, scientists have said.

Researchers at the University of Hong Kong studied how quickly the virus replicates in bronchial and lung tissue in the lab.

They discovered that the virus was capable of replicating far faster in the bronchus - the tubes that attach the windpipe to the lungs - with more infection present after just 24 hours than delta produced after two days.

However, the research showed the virus struggled to reproduce efficiently in lung tissue, which may explain why people are experiencing cold-like symptoms, but few cases are progressing to serious disease.

Dr Michael Chan Chi-wai, the principal investigator, said the research may suggest omicron is less severe, but warned that a very transmissible variant could lead to more deaths, even if it was milder. 

Advertisement

“It is important to note that the severity of disease in humans is not determined only by virus replication but also by the host immune response to the infection, which may lead to dysregulation of the innate immune system, such as a cytokine storm,” said Dr Chan. 

“It is also noted that, by infecting many more people, a very infectious virus may cause more severe disease and death even though the virus itself may be less pathogenic. 

“Therefore, taken together with our recent studies showing that the omicron variant can partially escape immunity from vaccines and past infection, the overall threat from the omicron variant is likely to be very significant.”

Screenshot_20211216-111646_Chrome~2.jpg

On Wednesday, Dr Meaghan Kall, an epidemiologist at the UK Health Security Agency, said that care homes and hospital wards were seeing 50 to 80 per cent of people infected - levels not seen since before the vaccination programme began. 

But she added: “They are mostly asymptomatic and mild infections. I remain optimistic about omicron being milder.

Advertisement

“I think there’s cause for concern, but it hinges on how vaccines hold up against severe disease. And we don’t have much solid evidence on that.”

So far, despite a surge in cases, there have currently been just 11 people admitted to hospital with confirmed omicron, five suspected cases and just one death.

‘Is it good or bad news? I simply don’t know’

Commenting on the Hong Kong study, Dr Muge Cevik, an infectious diseases researcher from the University of St Andrews, said: “For those asking whether this is good or bad news, simple answer: I don’t know. While omicron may infect the lung cells less efficiently, a higher viral load may worsen immune response. 

“The only thing I am sure of is that omicron will spread so quickly through the population, making it likely impossible to contain even with the most stringent measures and giving us very little time over the next few weeks. So get your vaccines and boosters.”

In South Africa, which has seen a large wave of omicron, there have also been far fewer deaths than previous waves. 

Advertisement

The first major real-world study into the new variant published by South African scientists earlier this week found the variant is likely to be 23 per cent less severe than delta with vaccines still offering good protection

A study of more than 78,000 omicron cases in South Africa recorded between November 15 and December 7, also found that the Pfizer jab still offers 70 per cent protection against hospitalisation after two doses.

The research showed that compared with the first Wuhan strain, the virus led to 29 per cent fewer admissions to hospital, with 23 per cent fewer hospital admissions compared to delta.

Far fewer people also needed intensive care from omicron, with just five per cent of cases admitted to intensive care units compared with 22 per cent of delta patients. 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 3