Current Road Works Pattaya (Threads Merged)

Bazle

They're just taking the piss. I often have a late afternoon beer or four at the Rompho bar beers in Jomtien. Getting home from there means turning right onto Thepprasit from Soi 17. They'd left a gap in the median open so that's still been possible, even if it's not as easy as turning into the open highway. So I went there for a drink with the GF yesterday afternoon but now they've filled in the gap so you can't turn right anymore. There may have been another gap between Soi 17 and Thappraya, I wasn't sure, so I ended up having to go down to Jomtien Sai Song, do a U-turn by Soi 7, then drive back up to the Thappraya/Thepprasit junction to get back home, a stupid waste of time and fuel

According to the news, the residents on Thepprasit are very unhappy about this, but at least the stupid mayor is listening to them, as he seems to have agreed to reopen all the blocked-off gaps in the median to allow more places for turning. He refuses to abandon the median, though, claiming it's a safety measure.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

39 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

With regards to the last two pics (I don't know how to delete the others), I walked up there on Sunday after checking my PO Box and the machine was there making those goffer holes.

Anybody have an idea what they are for ?????

Makes it easier for the backhoe to come in and pull up the concrete. Also the concrete comes up in smaller chunks which are easier to load up and truck out.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This afternoon, looking down Soi 15 towards Second Road:

Z1.jpg

Looking in the opposite direction:

Z2.jpg

Inside the big drains stored on Second Road, just around the corner from Soi 15:

Z3.jpg

Z4.jpg

Z5.jpg

Edited by Bazle
  • Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Z5.jpg

Wonder what the smaller tubes are for. If they were just attached to the bottom of the large drain they might introduce a bit of turbulence in the water flowing downstream, that is until they silt over. The ones in the smaller lateral drain can't see having any effect at all on the flow of water. 

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Bazle said:

This afternoon, looking down Soi 15 towards Second Road:

Z1.jpg

Looking in the opposite direction:

Z2.jpg

Inside the big drains stored on Second Road, just around the corner from Soi 15:

Z3.jpg

Z4.jpg

Z5.jpg

I wonder what the life expectancy is of these plastic pipes?

I am not seeing any fiberglass in this plastic, which would make it last longer...

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Everything and more about HDPE drain pipes here...

https://www.parsethylene-kish.com/separsekish/default.aspx?page=document&app=documents&docid=12008&docparid=11470

Life Cycle Cost
Because of HDPE’s resistance to abrasion and to chemicals, polyethylene’s pipe’s life-cycle savings over alternative drainage systems are significant. Users can expect a minimum service life of 100 years in many typical drainage applications.

As someone who knows f**k all about these pipes, I do have some concerns about the installation - are they being laid with a similar strength of foundation throughout, are they being joined properly, etc.? 

26 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Haven't done a fucking thing. 

How can they not be very embarassed ?

I can assure you that they were working on the Second Road end late last evening.

They have been working on the water drains for as long as I have been in Pattaya....At least for the last 15 years (with maybe a few no-work years)....And I bet for a very long time before that.....

The only improvement I have seen so far is the flooding is maybe 10-20% less and goes away slightly quicker than before....

• Thumbs Up 1

This is soi 15 connecting to Second Road.

They are installing one of those big pipes with a small pipe sticking out.  

What's that all about?    

Here's my guess.   What they had been doing for the completed parts of the soi 15 is put in a big concrete block every so many meters and that block would have a drain constructed on top and a big pipe on either end.   So it would serve as a junction point.  

I have not seen any big concrete blocks for this resumed construction.   Could the small pipe be placed upwards and above it they will construct a drain?  So this pipe section will join two big plastic pipes as well as offering a drain into the big pipes?

It would be faster than the big concrete block idea but not a sturdy....  I guess we'll see.

pic.jpg

• Like 4
  • Great Info 1

1 hour ago, johnpat said:

This is soi 15 connecting to Second Road.

They are installing one of those big pipes with a small pipe sticking out.  

What's that all about?    

Here's my guess.   What they had been doing for the completed parts of the soi 15 is put in a big concrete block every so many meters and that block would have a drain constructed on top and a big pipe on either end.   So it would serve as a junction point.  

I have not seen any big concrete blocks for this resumed construction.   Could the small pipe be placed upwards and above it they will construct a drain?  So this pipe section will join two big plastic pipes as well as offering a drain into the big pipes?

It would be faster than the big concrete block idea but not a sturdy....  I guess we'll see.

pic.jpg

I don't know shit about plumbing. But I would guess a small pipe leading up would be a vent of some sort. But like I said.... I don;t know jack.