Cigarettes in Los.

Aqualung

I know it's been three and a half years since I was here and I know it's a shitty habit but my word!!! The cost of 20 marlboro red here in BKK has shot up to 150 baht. Previously I was paying about 70 baht. 

Sign of the Times I guess. 

What do other dirty farang smokers choose as their brand and how much do you pay? 

17 hours ago, Aqualung said:

I know it's been three and a half years since I was here and I know it's a shitty habit but my word!!! The cost of 20 marlboro red here in BKK has shot up to 150 baht. Previously I was paying about 70 baht. 

Sign of the Times I guess. 

What do other dirty farang smokers choose as their brand and how much do you pay? 

Iscore 5.0 (blue pack) are a fairly acceptable alternative. 

Last time I bought a packet they were about 70 baht back in September of this year if I remember correctly  

They sell them in most 7/11   and Familly Mart etc. Obviously not on open display but just ask. Make sure they give you the regular, not menthol.  I reckon they are comparable to some leading brands. Not sure where they are made though. 

EDIT

I think they are Japanese made

Buy a pack and see what you think. Let us know what you paid

C41F9235-6752-449F-ABC0-2D1384CDFE41-768x768.jpeg

• Great Info 1

LM Red which are around 110 baht last time I bought them in 711.  I usually get them from a street guy at 500 baht / sleeve of 200 so 50 baht per pack.

He always gives me smuggled in Cambodian ones.  If you see Chinese ones then they are fakes.

• Like 2

Not that anyone here has any interest loose tobacco..

But I will throw out that they grow some pretty good stuff up north near the Lao border....The stuff I bought that was grown in the south I did not care for and it all went in the trash....The Northern grown is way better...

• Like 1

A few years ago I was introduced to an acquaintance of the guy who owned the guesthouse where I have stayed a few times. He was offering sleeves of cigarettes, Kamara jellies and other stuff. All brought down from the Cambodian border. Now he is one of the first calls I make when I arrive to grab a couple of sleeves of L&M Lights. I'm sure a few on here would know him.

150/pack fixed, everywhere I have been.

Used to once and a while pick up a pack on WS from the cig pirates, but I can't remember what I paid. Can't say I recall the quality either, but I never cared.

Compared to what I used to pay back in the U.S. 150 is a huge bargain.

7 hours ago, Aqualung said:

I've switched to Camel Yellow. Same price as you pay Pump and not that different to the 150 baht Marlboro red. 

You guys might have wondered why they got rid of all the brand packaging on cigarettes in Thailand...Well I think there were 2 reasons for this...

#1...(And this was a minor reason) was to make more room for the horrible anti-smoking pictures..

#2..(And the main reason)....After they eliminated the brand packaging....All the cigarettes started to taste the same to me...I think they now just do one or two or three massive massive tobacco mixes in huge batches and then put pretty much the same tobacco is all brands...

Absolutely for sure this is happening with the cheaper brands, and they still might be putting a slightly better tobacco in the expensive brands but I am pretty certain the quality of ALL cigs sold in Thailand has dropped quite a bit from 10 years ago...

All this increases their profit margin a lot...

You can see for yourself today this is true......Buy a pack Krong Tip.....Krong Tip use to be the strongest cigs in Thailand of major brands.......And they sure did pack a punch....And now......In my opinion they are not much different from all the rest....

Edited by fforest
  • Like 2

On 12/9/2022 at 9:34 PM, Lantern said:

A few years ago I was introduced to an acquaintance of the guy who owned the guesthouse where I have stayed a few times. He was offering sleeves of cigarettes, Kamara jellies and other stuff. All brought down from the Cambodian border. Now he is one of the first calls I make when I arrive to grab a couple of sleeves of L&M Lights. I'm sure a few on here would know him.

Do you mean the place on Soi Pothole ? If so the place has closed and the bloke that used to sell all the dodgy stuff has died after having to go back to England.

2 hours ago, Smiler said:

IMG_20211223_170422_edit_109050148216783.jpg

Buy in bulk at the weekly market in Ban Dung near Udon. 

From what I can tell Thailand has 2 grow areas....In the far north like in Udon and Chang Mai, and in the far south near Malaysia......

Edited by fforest

On 12/11/2022 at 8:36 AM, fforest said:

You guys might have wondered why they got rid of all the brand packaging on cigarettes in Thailand...

Yes i was wondering, it's amazing what they get up to. I could add some items to the list, but they might be reading this.

On 12/11/2022 at 8:36 AM, fforest said:

You guys might have wondered why they got rid of all the brand packaging on cigarettes in Thailand...Well I think there were 2 reasons for this...

#1...(And this was a minor reason) was to make more room for the horrible anti-smoking pictures..

#2..(And the main reason)....After they eliminated the brand packaging....All the cigarettes started to taste the same to me...I think they now just do one or two or three massive massive tobacco mixes in huge batches and then put pretty much the same tobacco is all brands...

Absolutely for sure this is happening with the cheaper brands, and they still might be putting a slightly better tobacco in the expensive brands but I am pretty certain the quality of ALL cigs sold in Thailand has dropped quite a bit from 10 years ago...

All this increases their profit margin a lot...

You can see for yourself today this is true......Buy a pack Krong Tip.....Krong Tip use to be the strongest cigs in Thailand of major brands.......And they sure did pack a punch....And now......In my opinion they are not much different from all the rest....

Sounds like a conspiracy to me. Or is it?

Plain tobacco packaging, also known as generic, neutral, standardised or homogeneous packaging, is packaging of tobacco products, typically cigarettes, without any branding (colours, imagery, corporate logos and trademarks), including only the brand name in a mandated size, font and place on the pack, in addition to the health warnings and any other legally mandated information such as toxic constituents and tax-paid stamps. The appearance of all tobacco packs is standardised, including the colour of the pack.

The removal of branding on cigarette packaging is a regulation of nicotine marketing and aims to deter smoking by removal of positive associations of brands (including design and symbol) with the consumption of tobacco. It also aims to remove an available avenue of brand advertising for cigarette companies.

Australia was the first country in the world to introduce plain packaging, with all packets sold from 1 December 2012 being sold in logo-free, drab dark brown packaging. There has been opposition from tobacco companies to plain packaging laws, some of which have sued the Australian government in Australian and international courts. Since the Australian government won the court cases, several other countries have enacted plain packaging laws.

Plain packaging was included in guidelines to the World Health Organization Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (WHO FCTC). On 31 May 2016, on World No Tobacco Day, the WHO called on governments to get ready for plain packaging of tobacco products.

Thailand

In December 2018, Thailand became the first country in Asia to pass legislation mandating plain packaging by September 2019. The new law would also require that the graphic health warning must take 85% of packet's area. Smoking is major problem in Thailand, with half of all middle-aged men smoking.

The law entered into force on 10 September 2019. Retailers could sell their stock of non-compliant cigarettes until 8 December 2019.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plain_tobacco_packaging

image.png

Edited by fygjam
  • Great Info 1