BOLT

Nightcrawler

Not used BOLT taxi service before in Pattaya or anywhere else for that matter.

I was planning to use them next month when I fly out. (Car, not motorcycle)

I just downloaded the App here in UK but I am assuming that I can now use it in Thailand. 

How much for a trip to Darkside, for instance or Jomtien etc. A bike hire  costs 200 baht a day,but will be drinking at night and I know from my peril, that driving whilst intoxicated is not a good idea, both for safety and being stopped by the BIB. 

What has been  your personal.experience of using BOLT,if any, in terms of reliability, ease of booking, price and safety ??

Had a good review from a friend the other day. 

And are GRAB a viable alternative ?

Bolt is brilliant in Pattaya  ( different cities other apps are more popular) , need a Thai telephone number and a data package for the gps ( I think ) 

Central Pattaya to Naklua or Naklua to WS , were  both about 60 - 80 Baht ( I normally give 100 Baht and drivers have been very grateful) ... pick-up is usually very quick , the app shows you where the driver is ,you can text to clarify your pick up spot or speak to the driver 

only positive experiences with it 

Edited by Stillearly
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

Easy peasy, used twice. Quarantine hotel past Dolphin roundabout to hotel in soi Pothole. Honda City, only 2 months old, immaculate. Young man driving price 66 bt.

Second journey from same hotel to guesthouse opposite Pattaya City Hospital. Lady driver stopped about 100 metres short but came to me when I waved. 48 bt, only used Bolt cos I had a heavy suitcase and carryon bag.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Whatever reviews I have watched/read have been nothing but positive. I would just suggest never making it too obvious when you jump in, never know when the taxi mafia might get jealous. There should be an alternative to booking a hat bus or driving pissed & risking a big fine 

• Thumbs Up 2

I used Bolt in August for a motorbike ride from Murphy Bar on Soi Khao Noi to the Rockhouse, I couldn't believe that the fee was only 120 baht, I gave the guy 150. It was a brand new PCX, I was given a full face helmet and the ride was smooth and enjoyable. A car wasn't much more but I would have had to wait 15 minutes instead of the 5 mins for the bike.

Great service, would use again.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I've used Bolt a few times with only one poor experience. That was a motorbike hire. I've ridden motorbike taxis many times and never felt unsafe with any of them, but the Bolt guy was some random somchai earning extra income with his motorbike. I could tell he was not that experienced and felt unsafe riding with him. For that reason I would advise sticking to car hires.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've only used them once so far to change hotels the other day but was very impressed with the service - quick and cheap, very easy to use. I'll be using them again in a few days when I move again, it's not very far to go but my bag is just too heavy to drag that far.

• Like 2

I am staying on east side of lake Mabprachan and regularly use Bolt to go into the city. From my bungalow to Big C Pattayaklang is 14.2 km and the economy fare is usually around 135 baht. Service has always been good in both directions. As soon as you confirm your booking you get a photo of the driver, car type colour and reg plate number as well as a map displayed showing where your driver is and how long before they arrive. You can chat with your driver in your native language which is translated into Thai and vice versa.
A brilliant service which I fully recommend.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

I would just suggest never making it too obvious when you jump in, never know when the taxi mafia might get jealous. 

The Car taxi's - blue and yellow ( car taxi mafia), also can be booked via bolt, and are the first option on bolt at the reduced price, so they do not have problems.

I would never book a motorbike via bolt, due to so many motorbike taxis around.

Great for when you want a car at the cheapest price, far better than Grab ( @Nightcrawler

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2

8 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I've used Bolt a few times with only one poor experience. That was a motorbike hire. I've ridden motorbike taxis many times and never felt unsafe with any of them, but the Bolt guy was some random somchai earning extra income with his motorbike. I could tell he was not that experienced and felt unsafe riding with him. For that reason I would advise sticking to car hires.

Fully agree, and for the very small premium one pays for a car, it should be the obvious choice....

Same as most of the above and pleased with their overall service.  Nearly always cheaper then Grab but you can register  a credit card with Grab so no need for cash if that's a benefit for you.

I have had a few issues with drivers requesting to cancel but it's been on longer journeys (Pattaya to Sri Racha) or asking for more money than displayed by the app.  Also a pricing surge over the fireworks weekend tripled pricing on a trip I do to the darkside.

I don't know  how it'll work if you're in the UK, but you could do a dummy booking to check the price of any trip you have in mind.

inDrive is another alternative where you suggest a price and drivers either accept or make a counter offer.  I've used it successfully but only a couple of times so can't really give a well informed comment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I live in Jomtien and have used Bolt lots of times in the last 6 months.

I even got an email from them today to say "we miss you, we haven't seen you for a week" . . 😂

I've probably used them around 40 times and I'd say about 5 times I wasn't happy one way or another.

Twice during the weekend firework festival recently I either couldn't get one or the prices were like 250 baht from Jomtien to Pattaya, plus a 15 minute wait. All depends on demand of course, the were obviously rammed.

Only 3 times I'd say I've been unhappy. Twice I've ordered a Bolt car but a yellow taxi has shown up. This happens on Grab too. It's the correct number plate/tag but it's not a car and both times it was a beaten up old yellow taxi.

And 1 time, while it was a Bolt car, it was a wreck. The rear suspension had defo gone, horrendous ride.

But the other 35 odd times I've used them they've been brilliant - 2 or 3 minutes to pick me up, whether in Jomtien or Pattaya.

I would advise to check the map shows you are in the right place when you book. You can manually add an address for pick up, something I always have to do in Jomtien as it thinks my condo building is about 100 yards away behind another building . . 🤥

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Looks  like a big thumbs up for Bolt taxis and thanks for all your excellent reviews. 

I noticed, when I download the App here in UK, that amongst the general information they provided, it said that you don't need to change your details, ie phone number, when using internationally.  I don't usually get a Thaii SIM car these days and rely on WhatsApp. I was also.sent a 4 digit security PIN number, which I presume is needed when making a booking. 

I presume that just having a WiFi signal, to use the App will be sufficient?

6 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Looks  like a big thumbs up for Bolt taxis and thanks for all your excellent reviews. 

I noticed, when I download the App here in UK, that amongst the general information they provided, it said that you don't need to change your details, ie phone number, when using internationally.  I don't usually get a Thaii SIM car these days and rely on WhatsApp. I was also.sent a 4 digit security PIN number, which I presume is needed when making a booking. 

I presume that just having a WiFi signal, to use the App will be sufficient?

Yes, WiFi only will let you book.

I don't have to key any PIN number in - perhaps that's just when you register or make a first booking . . 

• Thumbs Up 1

Another vote in favour of bolt

A couple of thai girls I know use the motorcycles on bolt all the time.... they are often half the price of a roadside motorbike taxi.

As above, the only less than good experiences I've had have been when its been chucking it down, or demand has outstripped supply. Some of the vehicles have had the standard maintenance issues, clonking suspension etc, but all have been clean and tidy

• Like 4

I have used Bolt in Bkk, Pattaya and here in Patong. As others have said, well worth it as an option. Sometimes on long journeys the driver will call asking for more money. Each of those times I have paid it as very fair for the distance going. 

EG. A journey of 30 to 40 minutes. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3