The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

On 11/30/2023 at 7:21 PM, coxyhog said:

I'm just happy that since I broke my elbow in May I've just about got back to the gym routine I had before I broke it.

I can't extend my right arm fully & it hurts occasionally but I can live with that.Also had to give up on a couple of free weight exercises but they are easily replicated on the resistance machines.

I'm 70 & the older you get the harder it is to start up again but I go to the gym roughly every other day & still really enjoy it.

Stick with it, along with timely protien, decent eating habits, and proper rest. You'll be amazed with what you can do.

On 11/30/2023 at 12:53 AM, ChiFlyer said:

I have found on my previous attempts to get a little healthier that walking (I am older at 74) is a good exercise. Last time that I was back living in the States (7 years ago ?), I used to walk 4 kms every Morning. Need to get back to that here in Thailand. Problem is that the best walking temps are before my preferred times. Guess it is once again time to adjust my schedule. 😞 

Thoug it out, like Larry does. Wrap a towel around your neck, take breaks when needed. Don't be a pussy.    😍

On 11/29/2023 at 5:53 PM, ChiFlyer said:

I have found on my previous attempts to get a little healthier that walking (I am older at 74) is a good exercise. Last time that I was back living in the States (7 years ago ?), I used to walk 4 kms every Morning. Need to get back to that here in Thailand. Problem is that the best walking temps are before my preferred times. Guess it is once again time to adjust my schedule. 😞 

I’d join a gym if I was you, at your age. Less stress than walking in 30+ degrees heat. Nice air condition atmosphere, and you could do longer.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, galenkia said:

I’d join a gym if I was you, at your age. Less stress than walking in 30+ degrees heat. Nice air condition atmosphere, and you could do longer.

Actually, there is a small gym available in our complex. Being a home owner, I have a pass key. I think I will start with Morning walks and then checkout the gym.  

I need to get the body over there. I hear the mind shows up after a while. 🙂

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

This is interesting - particularly if driving after a big night -

How Long Does Alcohol Stay in Your System?

People may say they can sober up quickly, but their physiology tells a different story. Alcohol is one of the most predictable chemical reactions in the human body, and virtually everyone breaks alcohol down at almost precisely the same rate.

Alcohol metabolism: breaking it down
Alcohol is metabolized (broken down) by the body at a rate of 0.016% per hour.1 It doesn’t matter if you are 6’4” or 4’6” or if you drank red wine or moonshine. Once your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) reaches a certain level-no matter how it got to that level-your body needs time to break the alcohol down and remove it from your system.

How long does it take to metabolize alcohol?
On the bright side, this precise metabolism makes it fairly easy to determine how long it will take for you BAC to reach zero. Take a BAC of 0.16, for example, a BAC that is twice the legal limit (BAC 0.08) in some countries. Since your body (and every body) metabolizes alcohol at 0.016% per hour, it will take 10 hours for a person with a BAC or 0.016 to reach a BAC of 0.00.

In fact, you can determine BAC for each hour that you spend metabolizing alcohol. Let’s continue using the same example. Assume a person has a BAC of 0.16 at two in the morning. She stopped drinking and is simply sobering up (letting her enzymes break down alcohol). Even without measuring each hour, you already know her BAC for the next 10 hours.

https://www.drinkfox.com/information/alcohol-metabolism

Calculate if you are still over the limit next morning -

https://www.drinkfox.com/tools/bac-calculator

2 hours ago, lazarus said:

406888049_827445976058374_603164215861937755_n (1).jpg

The above can look even worse when shown as a percentage of the product - eg some sauces (tomato ketchup etc can be more then 40% of the contents - BBQ sauce even more.

• Great Info 1

21 hours ago, boydeste said:

To get correct results, you usua lly have to fast for 12 hours before bloods are taken.

Did you do that?

No, only 4 hours.

However I did fast for more than 12 hours before my hip operation and they took my bloods then and again prior to being released from the hospital and nobody referred to cholesterol then?

I always intended to return to a more balanced diet after I had achieved my target weight. It looks like that is going to be required after I get the "good news" from my GP on the 14th December.

Back to semi skimmed milk in my coffee!

No rib eye's twice a week! 🤣

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Actually, there is a small gym available in our complex. Being a home owner, I have a pass key. I think I will start with Morning walks and then checkout the gym.  

I need to get the body over there. I hear the mind shows up after a while. 🙂

Doing stuff like that (looking at different options, etc.) is what makes things happen.

In other words, psychologically, if someone is not willing to make adjustments regardless of the conditions, time, etc. etc. Then their minds (lack of commitment, PRIORITY) will not get them anywhere.

Basically (and I've said this to othes, who may have found it a bit harsh.... heck I'm that way to myself    lol).     All it comes down to is get serious about it man. Make it happen. 

Just Do It !

right, sorry guys, this is all about "me" lol.

I've been to the gym 3 times a week since 19th Nov, each time doing the same cardio (5km Treadmill, zero incline). I've managed to get my 5km time down to a smidgen over 40 minutes from 45 and not feeling as whacked at the end.

As for the weights, I've checked my ego well and truly lol, and concentrated on light weights (25% of what I was previously lifting) with multiple reps and sets, purely to allow the joints and muscles to get used to the movement without the risk of injury.

One thing I have noticed, is that if you're lifting heavy weights, very often the damage gets done on one rep and it is instant. My shoulder went last year due to me trying to be clever, and it was an instantaneous injury. Doing lighter weights, it gets much easier to feel when a muscle or muscle group is getting strained, therefore much easier to stop there and then.

I'm also being quite strict with myself regarding the type of exercises, so after the Cardio, it's 3 different exercises, 4 sets of 15 light reps on each. I'm already feeling some benefits, in that the stiffness in some joints is reducing noticeably.

It's not until I now feel better that I realised how out of shape I was.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Ego is the word when it comes to the difference between light and heavy ,some of the younger guys at the offshore gyms see are swinging 20 + kg dumbells about with bad form,I was the same years ago,not now,I find working shoulder s side raises and front raises with 8kg dumbells rather than swinging 10,12  s gets better results ,all about form,movement and feeling.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

4 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

Ego is the word when it comes to the difference between light and heavy ,some of the younger guys at the offshore gyms see are swinging 20 + kg dumbells about with bad form,I was the same years ago,not now,I find working shoulder s side raises and front raises with 8kg dumbells rather than swinging 10,12  s gets better results ,all about form,movement and feeling.

I don’t do weights anymore, as I have problems with my right shoulder. My last warehouse job involved a lot of lifting so had constant pain. I now only do cardio on the treadmill. Between 45 minutes to an hour. At 55 I’m not interested in gaining muscle, just keep my weight and fitness at a decent level for my age.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 hours ago, Butch said:

right, sorry guys, this is all about "me" lol.

I've been to the gym 3 times a week since 19th Nov, each time doing the same cardio (5km Treadmill, zero incline). I've managed to get my 5km time down to a smidgen over 40 minutes from 45 and not feeling as whacked at the end.

As for the weights, I've checked my ego well and truly lol, and concentrated on light weights (25% of what I was previously lifting) with multiple reps and sets, purely to allow the joints and muscles to get used to the movement without the risk of injury.

One thing I have noticed, is that if you're lifting heavy weights, very often the damage gets done on one rep and it is instant. My shoulder went last year due to me trying to be clever, and it was an instantaneous injury. Doing lighter weights, it gets much easier to feel when a muscle or muscle group is getting strained, therefore much easier to stop there and then.

I'm also being quite strict with myself regarding the type of exercises, so after the Cardio, it's 3 different exercises, 4 sets of 15 light reps on each. I'm already feeling some benefits, in that the stiffness in some joints is reducing noticeably.

It's not until I now feel better that I realised how out of shape I was.

Great report, and spot on.

I have been consistant now going to the gym for over a month and a half. Really beginning to see and feel the benefits. B.P. has been perfect for over two weeks now.

I do chest and triceps one day, back and biceps the next day, shoulders on the third day. I don't bother with legs because I do so much biking.

Three sets, usually 10-12 reps, three different excersizes for each muscle group (example - with back I will do 3 sets lat pulldowns, 3 sets of rows on machine, and 3 sets of dumbell rows). I focus more on the form (isolating the muscle being worked) more so than trying to pull down heavier weights. But, I am still at a stage where I will be slowly adding more weight, while keeping the same form. I see so many people that are jerking, etc. because they are thinking the heavier weight will give them quicker gains. Proper form is the key, but as you advance adding some weight is good  (up to a point, everyone is different).

Weight lifting is breaking down the muscle, along with properly timed rest in between lifts and proper protien intake, the damaged muscle repairs itself and strengthens. 

With cardio it is also good to gradually increase your pace, the benefits to your vascular system can be amazing. Combining the two (cardio, lifting) properly really shows benefits unlike nothing else. Losing fat is also a good thing (obviously), but the vascular benefits are what it's all about, IMO.

Oh.... and my back and shoulder pains I have been struggling with for the past couple of years are improving as well (as I expected).

It all comes down to making it a priority. As with any priority there is usually some sort of sacrifice made. I am just thankful that I am now in an living situation that allows me to maintain conditioning as a priortiy.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/health-fitness/fitness/the-ultimate-glossary-of-strength-and-conditioning-terms/

https://barbend.com/best-dumbbell-exercises/

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

Great post and great plan to get back to where you once were.  I have never done cardio and weight training the same day, I am 67,  certainly that plays into it. Just like running on the treadmill on different days. 

Some great guys I have met over the last year here at Fitness First. This kid Frank, half thai/half UK. Polite and his array of "girlfriends" he has shown me on his phone, that he has met at college here....makes me want to cry. Of course he is fluent in Thai also.  Starts Law School here in January downtown.

I hate young guys LOL! 

IMG_9788.jpg

Great pic Yes.

That blue thing in your hand looks like some kind of anal probe device.

:default_527:

• Haha 3
  • Surprised 1

4 hours ago, galenkia said:

I don’t do weights anymore, as I have problems with my right shoulder. My last warehouse job involved a lot of lifting so had constant pain. I now only do cardio on the treadmill. Between 45 minutes to an hour. At 55 I’m not interested in gaining muscle, just keep my weight and fitness at a decent level for my age.

Shoulders and back seem to be the most vulnerable for most including me,fs my back twinged yesterday and I was only brushing my teeth,it's an old injury that plays up now and then,quick visit to the medic for ibuprofen and deep heat,shoulder plays up now and then,like you I'm 55 and do more cardio than weights buti still enjoy a good workout now and then,most days I can't be arsed 😉 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 3:33 AM, lazarus said:

406888049_827445976058374_603164215861937755_n (1).jpg

We tend to steer clear of virtually all of those processed products as we make most of them ourselves. 
It’s easy to avoid sugars if you have control over what goes into homemade foods. 
Sauces and dressings including tomato sauce can all be made without any sugar. Cereals don’t need it, neither does butter or homemade soups. 
Actually I don’t think we have any sugar in the house at all. The wife and son don’t like it and I stopped using it over 10 years ago. 
I’m still a fat knacker though. 🤣

• Haha 1