The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

On 1/17/2024 at 1:58 AM, SCOTTIEDAM said:

Hey guy's, here's what I eat, 6 mg Cholchine for the pain and 90 mg Arcoxia for the water swelling. When I get my attacks, the first sign I get is a tingly pain in my big toe, then I know it's coming, so I start eating both, twice a day. After a few days, I don't have the pain anymore and it goes away, BUT...... if I wait 3-4 days after I feel the first tingly pain, then it's too late and have to deal with it for the next 2-3 weeks ! It truly sucks.

I Used To do the black cherries, then the black cherry pills, in concentrated form, and that worked.... sometimes, but hard time to get either here, so

ARCOXIA 2..jpg

CHOLCHINE GOUT IN FEET..jpg

That's great info, cheers.

just out of interest how much are they in los?.

I met up with friends tonight , just for beers ... I had five Stella's,  but they were going for their buses and I went home at 20:00 .....I was on the cusp of going out for more ... but happily decided against it , now home and will feel a lot better in the morning ... 

• Thumbs Up 2

I went for a nearly 2 mile walk around our village yesterday,very cold but sunny.

No probs until I got back & sat down & my knees got quite painful when I bent my legs.Then when I went to bed my left hip was painful when I lay on that side.

This getting old sh!t is seriously overrated!😂

Everything seems to be ok now,I went to the gym today & did my normal stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

I started at 131kgs and dropped to 86kgs mainly I believe from giving up beer for 12 months drinking vodka and soda instead. I love beer and started back on it harder than ever and now back to 112kgs.

When you read this bit and near fall of the chair, then read the rest and understand it properly :default_biggrin:

IMG_1511.gif.9357d4c9cc822416edb983caa61cc766.gif

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, coxyhog said:

I went for a nearly 2 mile walk around our village yesterday,very cold but sunny.

No probs until I got back & sat down & my knees got quite painful when I bent my legs.Then when I went to bed my left hip was painful when I lay on that side.

Everything seems to be ok now,I went to the gym today & did my normal stuff.

I was kind of thinking the same, I am closer to 70, then 60, and feel great really!  Got my Physical and met with my Doctor Thursday...he said things look good, keep doing what you are doing. Hope this trend continues for a few more years. 

• Thumbs Up 4

12 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Fairly pleased with myself ... weighed myself this morning and I'm 17st 9lbs (112kg ) .. was 20st 9lbs ( 131kg ) around 18 months ago ... progress has been very slow , treading water for a lot of that time ...but the pounds are coming off 😇

been to the gym four times this week , because it's too cold to enjoy walking for me  ..

off to Thailand in 11 days and I'm hoping to loose a bit there , all my hotels I've picked have good gyms and I'll be walking loads as usual ... just need to be sensible on the food and drink side of things ...  🙏

I didn't do the math clac. on your post. 

About 1 pound/ .45 kilo's per week is healthy, especially if you are doing any weight training. The important thing is you are replacing muscle weight with fat weight. Your vascular system will love you for what you are doing regardless of what the scale is showing. 

Stick with the plan. In 10-12 months you will be down 20 kilos, sleeping better, and feeling better.

Try not to get distracted with the pace of what the scale is indicating. Just stick with what you are doing.

One other bit of advice, when travelling, especially if many different locations.... When walking try to head to a location where you can be out of traffic or having to cross side soi's and main roads. Example... if in Patts get on a long stretch of Beach Road to do the majority of your walking. In Bangkok or wherever find a park.

6 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I met up with friends tonight , just for beers ... I had five Stella's,  but they were going for their buses and I went home at 20:00 .....I was on the cusp of going out for more ... but happily decided against it , now home and will feel a lot better in the morning ... 

The impression I am getting is you are on the right path. Allow yourself exceptions, but stick with the new plan. In time it becomes the norm. It also gets more enjoyable and less of a chore.

When you get back over here jump right back at it. Something I will even do on travel days if at a big airport is get there early. I kill some time by walking around a lot. 

The first night you arrive. Go out have a good time, but get back at a decent time. Look forward to what you are going to be doing the next day. Make that your priority, then once you've checked that off you're good. 

2 hours ago, Yessongs said:

I was kind of thinking the same, I am closer to 70, then 60

Reminds me of a comment

"I'm approaching 70. Unfortunately, from the wrong direction."

Barry Humphries

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Yessongs said:

I was kind of thinking the same, I am closer to 70, then 60, and feel great really!  Got my Physical and met with my Doctor Thursday...he said things look good, keep doing what you are doing. Hope this trend continues for a few more years. 

One of my old man's favorite expressions was; getting old sucks but it beats the alternative.

He was also fond of never pass up an opportunity to pee and that nothing good for you takes place after midnight.

Didn't really appreciate his wisdom until decades after he passed when I realized I had become him.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

I started at 131kgs and dropped to 86kgs mainly I believe from giving up beer for 12 months drinking vodka and soda instead. I love beer and started back on it harder than ever and now back to 112kgs.

Trying to cut down my visits to the pub to lose some weight again.

Fat me:

Fat.jpg

Skinny me:

Skinny.jpg

Skinny me should have purchased an air fryer. Once you get one your most common thought about it will be how did you ever live without it.

4 hours ago, Trip said:

Skinny me should have purchased an air fryer. Once you get one your most common thought about it will be how did you ever live without it.

I used to think the same thing about having a blender. Never use the damn thing.

38 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

I used to think the same thing about having a blender. Never use the damn thing.

I use both most days. Here in Thailand the fruit is so damn good compared to the US that I take bananas; freeze them, add some milk and maybe a sprinkle of cinnamon, but no ice or sugar required and best smoothie around.

I think my air fryer does better fried chicken than the Colonel. Chicken is another thing that is much better in Thailand than the US. To me, here it has a nice taste. In the US, practically tasteless, especially white meat/breasts, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Trip said:

I use both most days. Here in Thailand the fruit is so damn good compared to the US that I take bananas; freeze them, add some milk and maybe a sprinkle of cinnamon, but no ice or sugar required and best smoothie around.

I think my air fryer does better fried chicken than the Colonel. Chicken is another thing that is much better in Thailand than the US. To me, here it has a nice taste. In the US, practically tasteless, especially white meat/breasts, etc.

Yes, I agree with the chicken quality. Although if BM @boydesteis anywhere in the area the chickens will already be devoured or in hiding. 

I prefer the eggs here also.

The primary reason I don't pick up an air fryer or use the blender is the lack of counter space. But, the notion of being able to make my own KFC Original has me drooling a bit. 

• Haha 1

Got a letter and phone call giving me two more medical appointments.

One is a PSA blood test at my GP surgery, and the other a CT scan with a camera inserted into my bunghole.

Seems like I’m going to be living in medical facilities.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Got a letter and phone call giving me two more medical appointments.

One is a PSA blood test at my GP surgery, and the other a CT scan with a camera inserted into my bunghole.

Seems like I’m going to be living in medical facilities.

Best to get all checked out mate.

• Thumbs Up 4

15 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Best to get all checked out mate.

Yeah I’m at the age where things like prostate and colon cancer etc are likely to hit, especially with my family history of dying in their 50’s/60’s from cancer.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

Yeah I’m at the age where things like prostate and colon cancer etc are likely to hit, especially with my family history of dying in their 50’s/60’s from cancer.

I am not an expert, but if I remember cancer can often skip generations. Although the general rule that they say is there is a greater risk.

Both with prostate and colon cancers the severity can be marginalized with regular checks. Typically an annual PSA test for prostate, and colonoscopies beginning at age 50. They suggest that you have one more often (I've heard both 3 years to 5 years, 10 years if no family history) up to a certain age. Over a certain age then the risks associated with the procedure can be greater than the benifits of having it.

Cancers due to inherited faulty genes are much less common than cancers due to gene changes caused by ageing or other factors. Most cancers develop because of a combination of chance and our environment, not because we have inherited a specific cancer gene fault.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/causes-of-cancer/inherited-cancer-genes-and-increased-cancer-risk/family-history-and-inherited-cancer-genes

• Great Info 1

6 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

I am not an expert, but if I remember cancer can often skip generations. Although the general rule that they say is there is a greater risk.

Both with prostate and colon cancers the severity can be marginalized with regular checks. Typically an annual PSA test for prostate, and colonoscopies beginning at age 50. They suggest that you have one more often (I've heard both 3 years to 5 years, 10 years if no family history) up to a certain age. Over a certain age then the risks associated with the procedure can be greater than the benifits of having it.

Cancers due to inherited faulty genes are much less common than cancers due to gene changes caused by ageing or other factors. Most cancers develop because of a combination of chance and our environment, not because we have inherited a specific cancer gene fault.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/causes-of-cancer/inherited-cancer-genes-and-increased-cancer-risk/family-history-and-inherited-cancer-genes

I think all that is involved with a PSA is smearing some of your shit on a a small thing and hand it to the lab. Hopefully to a nice looking babe who appreciates your scent.

Colonoscopy is not a picnic. The prep is not the most pleasant (although some may find it to be), the procedure is zero pain. You go to sleep temporarily and wake up with what seems like 5 minutes later. Feeling fresh as a daisy.

Edited by Glasseye
  • Great Info 1

1 minute ago, Glasseye said:

I think all that is involved with a PSA is smearing some of your shit on a a small thing and hand it to the lab. Hopefully to a nice looking babe who appreciates your sent.

Colonoscopy is not a picnic. The prep is not the most pleasant (although some may find it to be), the procedure is zero pain. You go to sleep temporarily and wake up with what seems like 5 minutes later. Feeling fresh as a daisy.

PSA is just a blood test 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, boydeste said:

PSA is a blood test.

Edit, beaten to it. Lol.

Damn. I was hoping to have a good excuse for shoving a finger up my ass.

I could be mistaken.... but before they developed the blood test a shit smear was how they did the test. Not sure though. 

8 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Damn. I was hoping to have a good excuse for shoving a finger up my ass.

I could be mistaken.... but before they developed the blood test a shit smear was how they did the test. Not sure though. 

That's for Bowel cancer screening, they still do that 

PSA is for prostate cancer

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1