What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

3 hours ago, Aqualung said:

I have to say mate

Im not normally one for mixing with falang whilst In Los... But I'm happy I did and looking forward to the meet with Yessongs, Glasseye, maipenrai and Mr. Smooth. 

Its a strange reality for myself as I should have met more like minded people like yourself Stewart..in Los any way. 

You did me a big favour, lessened my inhibitions in meeting others in Thailand. Thanks for the heads up with that and thanks for the lessons on pool playing. 

Top bloke 

Yeah,one of the nicest blokes I’ve met in Thailand.

Met some proper sound fellas through the Thai forums.

• Like 2

Just retrieved a 20" monitor I bought used the last time I was here to use with my MacAir, left with a girlfriend, and of course she lost the transformer part of the power cord...😡...off to TukCom to buy a new one for 700b, damn it...but still a marked improvement over gazing at the 11" display...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Just retrieved a 20" monitor I bought used the last time I was here to use with my MacAir, left with a girlfriend, and of course she lost the transformer part of the power cord...😡...off to TukCom to buy a new one for 700b, damn it...but still a marked improvement over gazing at the 11" display...

How does that connect?

11 hours ago, boydeste said:

How does that connect?

You need this adapter from the small port on the Mac to an HDMI cable - or you can get the same adapter for the old pin-type connectors too; then you choose "mirrored display" in your settings, and you need to have AC power connected to the laptop. I do this at home too with my 55" Sony TV and it works beautifully:

rsz_img_0900.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, maipenrai said:

You need this adapter from the small port on the Mac to an HDMI cable - or you can get the same adapter for the old pin-type connectors too; then you choose "mirrored display" in your settings, and you need to have AC power connected to the laptop. I do this at home too with my 55" Sony TV and it works beautifully:

rsz_img_0900.jpg

Thanks mate, I have recently bought an Air and it's a real pain learning to do stuff that I used to do on Windows.

This will be a game changer for me too.

8 hours ago, boydeste said:

Thanks mate, I have recently bought an Air and it's a real pain learning to do stuff that I used to do on Windows.

This will be a game changer for me too.

Yes, they take some getting used  to after Windows - I had tried a couple of small Windows laptops but wasn't happy with them but I love the MacAir, it has been very reliable and is so easy to pack around and store - but the 11" screen is a little tough on the eyes after a while. 

• Like 1

Just waiting for the World Junior Hockey Championship Gold Medal game to commence. My boys 🇨🇦versus the Czechs, who are very strong this year. Yanks beat Sweden 8-7 an hour ago for the Bronze, that’s a lot of scoring in ice hockey

Was searching for streams hours ago…..what do you know, YouTube was the easiest option. Sometimes we complicate things….

Go Canada 🇨🇦 go!!!!

90DAEAA8-F096-402D-A87B-0ED30ED202D6.jpeg

Just had a real blast from the past - an old friend and co-worker sent me this photo along with birthday greetings yesterday; it was taken on January 29, 1990 at a radio site between Inuvik and Tuktoyaktuk, NWT in Canada. The temperature was around -35C with a stiff wind and we were out doing antenna work; one of the  coldest working days of my career. We tried to get back the next day to finish but the mercury had dropped even lower and the helicopter wouldn't fly, and earlier that same day an F-18 fighter plane crashed while taking off from the airport, killing the pilot:

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1990/01/30/Pilots-body-recovered-from-crash-site/3795633675600/

321722900_5888811017904879_212854904658479254_n.jpg

That's me in the orange coveralls. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Surprised 2

4 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Just had a real blast from the past - an old friend and co-worker sent me this photo along with birthday greetings yesterday; it was taken on January 29, 1990 at a radio site between Inuvik and Tuktoyaktuk, NWT in Canada. The temperature was around -35C with a stiff wind and we were out doing antenna work; one of the  coldest working days of my career. We tried to get back the next day to finish but the mercury had dropped even lower and the helicopter wouldn't fly, and earlier that same day an F-18 fighter plane crashed while taking off from the airport, killing the pilot:

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1990/01/30/Pilots-body-recovered-from-crash-site/3795633675600/

321722900_5888811017904879_212854904658479254_n.jpg

That's me in the orange coveralls. 

Your "fall arrest device" is frozen!! .. I'm guessing that you clear it on your way up...and on your way down of course.

32 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Your "fall arrest device" is frozen!! .. I'm guessing that you clear it on your way up...and on your way down of course.

Didn't even use them in those days - just used our pole climbing belts to strap in once we reached our working positions. It wasn't too bad on inside climb towers such as this, but some of them were smaller, outside climb jobs and often quite tall - we got away with a lot in those days but got paid extra for it too - time and a half after 80', and double time after 200' and piles of overtime because of the remote locations. It was lovely work in the summer but brutal in the winter, and a few years later it was all taken away from us and given to contractors when the gov't agencies started enforcing safety rules, such as yearly week-long rigging courses for anyone working on towers - our company just couldn't afford to spare us from other duties to do this. 

Ironically, the only accident, and a fatal one at that, I remember happening in our whole operating area was a contractor's employee - they had been working on a 210' outside climb tower and buddy had already finished but figured he'd go up and take a couple of photos before they left - he climbed right to the top without fall arrest, and then grabbed the 5'x 9/16" lightning rod while going for his belt to secure himself - the old, corroded lightning rod snapped and down he went. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

Didn't even use them in those days - just used our pole climbing belts to strap in once we reached our working positions.

Too true mate. Only useful for platform to platform climbs.Everything else is clamping on.

20 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

had already finished but figured he'd go up and take a couple of photos before they left

Every person that I knew that was killed in the Army didn't need to be where they were at that time...

On 1/5/2023 at 9:53 AM, maipenrai said:

rsz_img_0900.jpg

I have finally figured out how to send a wireless signal to my smart t.v. on windows. So I now have a giant monitor with very good quality. 

The method I was using before was a direct usb cable from the computer to a USB port typically on the back of the t.v. It is a very long usb cable that you can pick up cheaply on lazada. They also have usb cable wires for micro connection (one end micro for the computer and standard size on the other for t.v. connection).

then you select on the t.v. menu the connection 

• Thumbs Up 1