What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

On 10/23/2023 at 1:19 PM, Zambo said:

But somehow that doesn't fit with just one lamp failing.

Finally solved my flickering lamp problem, rather obvious solution.

The replacement lamps come with an LED driver.

Screenshot_20231105_132607_Shopee SG.jpg

I didn't install that as it seemed a bit of an electrical job. But as it turns out there is a plastic terminal block tucked away in the ceiling and the whole thing is easy to install.

No more flickering.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/3/2023 at 6:12 PM, Nightcrawler said:

Nursing both arms aching today. It won't last for long hopefully. I had a Covid booster vaccine in my left arm and the Flu Jab vaccination in the other arm at the same time yesterday afternoon. . Other than that, I feel OK with the exception of feeling more tired than usual. Anyway  that's out of the way for a while.

Good one. I wait two weeks in between shots so I don't get double whammied.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Zambo said:

Finally solved my flickering lamp problem, rather obvious solution.

The replacement lamps come with an LED driver.

I didn't install that as it seemed a bit of an electrical job. But as it turns out there is a plastic terminal block tucked away in the ceiling and the whole thing is easy to install.

No more flickering.

I have 12v LED lights all over the house, most of them have drivers attached. After almost 7 years some have started to fail. I bought a pack of ceiling down lights same electrical configurations and spec so I’ve started to change those that have blown myself. 
Swopped the first one and it works fine, but the second one for some reason won’t work! It’s on the same circuit so should work. I’ve tested the light with a voltage meter and it’s fine, but I’ll be buggered why the next one doesn’t work. 
I’ve put a call out to the electrician and he’s coming out tomorrow. 
Feckin DIY can be a bitch. 😡

6 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

I have 12v LED lights all over the house, most of them have drivers attached. After almost 7 years some have started to fail. I bought a pack of ceiling down lights same electrical configurations and spec so I’ve started to change those that have blown myself. 
Swopped the first one and it works fine, but the second one for some reason won’t work! It’s on the same circuit so should work. I’ve tested the light with a voltage meter and it’s fine, but I’ll be buggered why the next one doesn’t work. 

Exactly my problem. 7 years and first change went fine (my lamps i guess will be a bit different, but i just didn't install thr new LED driver without issue). Second now ok on the new attempt, i installed the full set of driver and lamp.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

I expect you have to connect you LED driver to a plastic terminal block which is normally hidden in the ceiling.

Screenshot_20231105_211139_Google.jpg

The incoming wiring from the lighting circuit is probably larger wires from the ones to the driver, which in my case were very small. Is it possible you've tightened the screw onto the insulation on the cable, or just got a poor connection?

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Zambo said:

I expect you have to connect you LED driver to a plastic terminal block which is normally hidden in the ceiling.

Screenshot_20231105_211139_Google.jpg

The incoming wiring from the lighting circuit is probably larger wires from the ones to the driver, which in my case were very small. Is it possible you've tightened the screw onto the insulation on the cable, or just got a poor connection?

I’ve done that and double checked the connections, but still no joy. 

24 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

Tried the screw blocks, no go, so I’m trying these spring clip joiners as the blocks are really meant for thicker cable, not the very fine wires on these lights. 

IMG_1823.jpeg

IMG_1822.jpeg

That look's not quite right. I think the terminal block is at the red circle on my picture (between the lamp fitting and the twist connector) but it should be at the blue circle location

It seems that instead of twisting at the connector, circled yellow, to connect instead

IMG_1823.jpeg.a1b890b308ec892e245f1398f32048fc.jpeg

a terminal block has been inserted.

But i do wonder if your problem is the same as my original issue, is the new LED driver installed?

Apologies if i've misunderstood, just interesting we have the same job.

The only thing I’ve done is cut off the connection that was on the cable and replaced it with that double connection block which doesn’t work. It’s a cable with 2 wires. 
That is going to be now removed and the spring connection fitted to see if that works. 
I replaced the exact same style of light with the type you see hanging down which works but for some reason this one didn’t work. Despite they both came out of the same box of 10!! 

The lights came with the connection but not compatible. All the lights run off the same driver and connection which is in the loft and as you can see is hanging down next to the hole for light fixture. 

Edited by KhunDon

41 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

The only thing I’ve done is cut off the connection that was on the cable and replaced it with that double connection block which doesn’t work. It’s a cable with 2 wires. 
That is going to be now removed and the spring connection fitted to see if that works. 
I replaced the exact same style of light with the type you see hanging down which works but for some reason this one didn’t work. Despite they both came out of the same box of 10!! 

The lights came with the connection but not compatible. All the lights run off the same driver and connection which is in the loft and as you can see is hanging down next to the hole for light fixture. 

Sounds like the Driver may be faulty, if the new light came with one, why not swop the whole thing out?

Also, does that in line connector contain a fuse?

If you have chopped into that cable and fitted the chocolate box connector, have you got the polarity the right way around?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

Sounds like the Driver may be faulty, if the new light came with one, why not swop the whole thing out?

Also, does that in line connector contain a fuse?

If you have chopped into that cable and fitted the chocolate box connector, have you got the polarity the right way around?

Don’t think it has a fuse, just a push and twist connection. Tried polarity both ways, made no difference.
It’s only a 12v system as it’s in a bathroom.
What’s annoying is I replaced the light next to it with exactly the same light fixture and used the exact same way to replace it. 
Never mind, the electrician is coming tomorrow. 🤗

Edited by KhunDon

Just got back to Neath after 2 nights staying with brother near Heathrow.

Went to Flip Out with the little one but main reason was to have lunch with very good friends and family but, mainly, to see John, who I have known for over 50 years. He tried to take his life in March with an overdose, and was found unconscious by his daughter and, thankfully, blue lighted to hospital.

His wife left him in Mauritius, the day before his birthday, and flew home. Crushed him, even though my friend Alan and I, were there to listen. Just a guy who didn't like his own company and felt his wife and daughter were against him. He just admits he didn't want to live.

Hospital, therapy and a dose of reality from the attempt has helped him immensely. He has stopped drinking and now won't have the wife back at any cost despite her contact with him. 

The lunch saw him look the best I have seen him in years, he was also positive about his future without his wife. He has also moved into his own flat and is beginning to love himself first.

It was a great weekend.

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, KhunDon said:

Don’t think it has a fuse, just a push and twist connection. Tried polarity both ways, made no difference.
It’s only a 12v system as it’s in a bathroom.
What’s annoying is I replaced the light next to it with exactly the same light fixture and used the exact same way to replace it. 
Never mind, the electrician is coming tomorrow. 🤗

I assume you have tried a different unit just in case it is genuinely faulty from new.