What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

Was just watching a program on BBC about families who are thinking of moving to Australia from the UK.

It was interesting for me as the family was from Merthyr Tydfil which is about 22 miles north east of me.

Premise is to check whether the family would fit in with the environment, get well paid jobs and find reasonably affordable accommodation.

My shock, was that the jobs they were doing in the UK, were so poorly paid compared to what they could get in Brisbane. The wife was a qualified HR advisor and on £25,000 a year (although probably good for Wales). She was told that her qualifications would get her a similar job for £50,000 a year in Brisbane and if applying for a HR Manager's job it would be nearer £75,000.

The husband, who works in parts purchasing at a large car company, was told that he would fit in with a similar job in Brisbane for about £40000 or above, he was on £22,000 in Wales.

Their house was worth only about £170,000 in Wales, but an equivalent house would cost quite a bit more for their money; they could get an acceptable property to get them on the ladder though.

In terms of cost of living it looked like they would have to spend at least £50 a week more in Australia. Can't remember all the costs but I was surprised that some items were well above that in the UK. Still the wages should make up for the shortfall.

So, is the standard of living in Australia that good or does everything just cost a lot more while earning superior wages.

Seems, though, that UK is lagging behind the basic wages and standard of living of that in Australia. Am I way off mark here.

• Like 2

Sheltering from the rain, just for a change whilst trying to pack as much gear away as is practical to enable me to still fish the night comfortably.

We can't park the van behind the swims on this lake which makes it awkward,  especially if it's raining. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, boydeste said:

Sheltering from the rain, just for a change whilst trying to pack as much gear away as is practical to enable me to still fish the night comfortably.

We can't park the van behind the swims on this lake which makes it awkward,  especially if it's raining. 

Is this the last one of the year mate ? Sounds like you have had your fill for the season. 

Soon you'll be over here casting your tackle out for a different kind of fish.    You have always been good at catching some trophies. 

Just like fishing for carp.... catch and release, catch and release, catch and release......   55555555555  !!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, boydeste said:

You're such a dedicated man....lol...

11 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Is this the last one of the year mate ? Sounds like you have had your fill for the season. 

Soon you'll be over here casting your tackle out for a different kind of fish.    You have always been good at catching some trophies. 

Just like fishing for carp.... catch and release, catch and release, catch and release......   55555555555  !!!

Yup, last one.

Set my alarm for 7am to give myself a quiet hour for porridge and a cup of tea before the madness of packing down.

Then the long journey home.

1 minute ago, boydeste said:

Yup, last one.

Set my alarm for 7am to give myself a quiet hour for porridge and a cup of tea before the madness of packing down.

Then the long journey home.

Stay safe mate. I hope the weather cooperates for you.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Was just watching a program on BBC about families who are thinking of moving to Australia from the UK.

It was interesting for me as the family was from Merthyr Tydfil which is about 22 miles north east of me.

Premise is to check whether the family would fit in with the environment, get well paid jobs and find reasonably affordable accommodation.

My shock, was that the jobs they were doing in the UK, were so poorly paid compared to what they could get in Brisbane. The wife was a qualified HR advisor and on £25,000 a year (although probably good for Wales). She was told that her qualifications would get her a similar job for £50,000 a year in Brisbane and if applying for a HR Manager's job it would be nearer £75,000.

The husband, who works in parts purchasing at a large car company, was told that he would fit in with a similar job in Brisbane for about £40000 or above, he was on £22,000 in Wales.

Their house was worth only about £170,000 in Wales, but an equivalent house would cost quite a bit more for their money; they could get an acceptable property to get them on the ladder though.

In terms of cost of living it looked like they would have to spend at least £50 a week more in Australia. Can't remember all the costs but I was surprised that some items were well above that in the UK. Still the wages should make up for the shortfall.

So, is the standard of living in Australia that good or does everything just cost a lot more while earning superior wages.

Seems, though, that UK is lagging behind the basic wages and standard of living of that in Australia. Am I way off mark here.

Have a good few mates,oil workers but have known them 30 years or so ,they have no regrets of moving over to oz,they miss going to the footie that's about it ! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dead.

They caught the disgusting excuse for a human being. May he and his family rot in hell.

As I posted this somewhere else when it first went down...  "He will crawl down a sewer somewhere and shoot himself".    Looks like I was fairly accurate. 

I think he got washed out of the sewer into the river though. 

https://nypost.com/2023/10/27/news/maine-mass-shooting-suspect-robert-card-found-dead-after-two-day-manhunt/

• Thumbs Up 3

17 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Lots of Doctors, Nurses etc qualify in the UK, then go ASAP due to salary and general standard of living.

On one hand can't really blame them. On the other hand I agree that the UK Government are trying to bring in some sort of 'Contract' that states if we train you up, you must stay and work in the NHS for stipulated time. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Had 3 sisters who emigrated to Australia, one in the 60’s as a ten pound Pom and the other two sisters and brother a few years later. My brother joined them in 1972. 
Back then land, houses and costs of living were much lower. 
Sister and husband bought a Golden Fleece service station with a restaurant and a very large (500 pitches) mobile home/caravan business next door. 
They continued to buy land on the outskirts of Brisbane and eventually got permission to build over 500 houses, some of which they sold to developers. 
Back in those days it was much easier to make a really good living in Australia. 
Yes salaries are better than in the UK, but houses and costs of living are also much higher now, having said that, if you have the qualifications, then getting a higher paid job than the Uk is easier, as they are still short in qualified people in most areas. 

Ironically, they sold their business to a Thai chap who had dual nationality in the 90’s. 

Having visited Australia many times over the years, if I could, I’d love to move to Tasmania but I can’t. 

We met a 75 year old Brit in Cha Am in 2002 who was a multi millionaire and he’d sold his large business after his wife died.

He had a daughter who was a doctor in Tasmania who he visited, but he couldn’t move there because they wouldn’t give him a visa, so he sold most of his stuff in UK and had a house built in Cha Am, in order to make his flights to visit his daughter in Tasmania a bit shorter. He was looked after in Cha Am by a very nice Thai lady in her late 50’s, who did everything for him for a stipend. 

Edited by KhunDon
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4