What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

4 hours ago, fygjam said:

The machine does it. Hail to the machine.

Yes, at this point the machine does do all the fine aligning and splicing for you, but what kind of work do you think is involved to get it this far? You're starting with cables that are built for either aerial or underground applications, and they have layer upon layer of protection for such - vinyl sheaths, kevlar linings, "dry-block" compounds that will turn into a water-proofing jelly if water gets into the cable, and in the core you have "buffer tubes" that contain the fibres  in further water-proofing jelly; the fibres themselves have a colour-coded plastic coating to tell them apart, which must also be removed with very precise tools. You need a specialized solvent to clean the worst of the gunk and then you finish it with very pure alcohol. In other words, the actual splicing of the fibres is easy, it's the preparation that takes the time and the skill.

Blow up my photo and look behind the blue bag in the left foreground and you will see the splice case with four separate labelled fibre cables enclosed - this is a busy splice and it is very finicky work digging into one of these to reconfigure the fibres - you often had to painstakingly take all of the working fibres out of the trays to find the ones you wanted, re-splice them back together and then put the whole mess back in the tray again (or "cassette" in grogmonster's parlance) - again, very finicky work. Thankfully, most of the communication circuitry I worked on had full backups, so you'd kill one side first and re-splice it, then talk to your Network Control Center to make sure it came up again, and then do the backup link - not sure if grogmonster's railroad circuitry has the same redundancy but I imagine so.

As with any trade, there is much more to it than often meets the eye. 

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Krapow said:

20240217_111840.jpg

20240217_151126.jpg

20240217_151131.jpg

Screenshot_20240217_155200_Photos.jpg

Have to say I'm impressed with FinnAir and Helsinki Airport. Flight was under 3 hours, had loads of just out movies in an individual screen back of the seat. I mind the days when I first started coming to Thailand, the big screen front of the airport, thst was it lol.

No queues at all at passport control, I expected it bust as first day of Finnish school holidays, people flying back to go skiing.

Loads of Asian restaurants in the Airport. Seen a few Chinese planes and the obligatory fag waver lol.

And what about the free blueberry juice, was proper lush. It's the little things 😂

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

6 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Have to say I'm impressed with FinnAir and Helsinki Airport. Flight was under 3 hours, had loads of just out movies in an individual screen back of the seat. I mind the days when I first started coming to Thailand, the big screen front of the airport, thst was it lol.

No queues at all at passport control, I expected it bust as first day of Finnish school holidays, people flying back to go skiing.

Loads of Asian restaurants in the Airport. Seen a few Chinese planes and the obligatory fag waver lol.

And what about the free blueberry juice, was proper lush. It's the little things 😂

Are you sure that haven't added anything to your "Blueberry" juice ... 555 😜

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Yes, at this point the machine does do all the fine aligning and splicing for you, but what kind of work do you think is involved to get it this far? You're starting with cables that are built for either aerial or underground applications, and they have layer upon layer of protection for such - vinyl sheaths, kevlar linings, "dry-block" compounds that will turn into a water-proofing jelly if water gets into the cable, and in the core you have "buffer tubes" that contain the fibres  in further water-proofing jelly; the fibres themselves have a colour-coded plastic coating to tell them apart, which must also be removed with very precise tools. You need a specialized solvent to clean the worst of the gunk and then you finish it with very pure alcohol. In other words, the actual splicing of the fibres is easy, it's the preparation that takes the time and the skill.

Blow up my photo and look behind the blue bag in the left foreground and you will see the splice case with four separate labelled fibre cables enclosed - this is a busy splice and it is very finicky work digging into one of these to reconfigure the fibres - you often had to painstakingly take all of the working fibres out of the trays to find the ones you wanted, re-splice them back together and then put the whole mess back in the tray again (or "cassette" in grogmonster's parlance) - again, very finicky work. Thankfully, most of the communication circuitry I worked on had full backups, so you'd kill one side first and re-splice it, then talk to your Network Control Center to make sure it came up again, and then do the backup link - not sure if grogmonster's railroad circuitry has the same redundancy but I imagine so.

As with any trade, there is much more to it than often meets the eye. 

Well said and yes the actual splicing is the easy part of the job.

Yes we do have redundant circuits and that is why I came in was to transfer some circuits onto an alternate fibre while the main cable was being relocated. That said there is always the chances of mistakes or issues occurring so we did it in the middle of the night so if things did go pear shaped we wouldn't delay trains as we had a 3 hour trains free window. I reckon it would be at 30 years since I have worked in weather like that and with only 3 years left to go hopeffully no more.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Had breakfast at my mates house, then watched the snooker all afternoon whilst drinking his tea and coffee. I did pay for the bacon and made the sarnies though!

Now in the pub for a quick pint of Old Original before taking a kebab home to enjoy the other semi final and make a dint into a nece bottle of red.

20240217_181109.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

16 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

Trying to access some sites in China vpn don't work either,youtube,tiktok,fb,line,none work.

Screenshot_20240217_155125_Turbo VPN.jpg 

China is (always has been, always will be) on my list of do not go places.

No disrespect intended to anyone who chooses to travel there. But a "no go" for me (even in transient).

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, boydeste said:

Had breakfast at my mates house, then watched the snooker all afternoon whilst drinking his tea and coffee. I did pay for the bacon and made the sarnies though!

Now in the pub for a quick pint of Old Original before taking a kebab home to enjoy the other semi final and make a dint into a nece bottle of red.

20240217_181109.jpg

Looks tasty mate.

I will be checking out some different brews on the HH visit. I'll be looking for recommendations.

:default_cheers:

Recovering in the hotel after a meet up with an old mate in the Robin Hood on Suk Soi 33/1.

We always meet there for some very beery nostalgia wallowing when me & the missus are in town,most enjoyable and a very good pub.

• Thumbs Up 2

19 hours ago, galenkia said:

Watering my plants. Really got into them after Jan went into the hospice, would bring them to her a couple of times a week so her room felt like her home. Jan loved plants so much, her flat is like a jungle lol.

I buy them from the lady who has a stall below my gym. I think it’s also a part of my bipolar, the obsession and fixation on things. But at least it’s a healthy obsession.

IMG_0117.jpeg

IMG_0116.jpeg

Very cool that you held onto them mate. They look very healthy and well cared for.

Certainly nothing wrong with looking after some precious plant life. You are doing fine mate. Don't be too hard on yourself.

👌

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

Funny little snowshoes - the snow must either be not too deep or somewhat packed already -  this is the style I occasionally used in my youth:

s-l960.jpg

Had a pair of those as well. Even if I still lived in Wisconsin they wouldn't be much use anymore. Getting rarer every year for snow of any decent depth.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Very cool that you held onto them mate. They look very healthy and well cared for.

Certainly nothing wrong with looking after some precious plant life. You are doing fine mate. Don't be too hard on yourself.

👌

I really have fallen in love with them, having some nature in your life really makes a difference to your wellbeing.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Funny little snowshoes - the snow must either be not too deep or somewhat packed already -  this is the style I occasionally used in my youth:

s-l960.jpg

This be more what you're used to :default_biggrin:

20240218_150857.jpg

20240218_150903.jpg

20240218_150909.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Krapow said:

This be more what you're used to :default_biggrin:

20240218_150857.jpg

I had something similar to those x-country skis when I first took up the sport many decades ago. Had to use different waxes for the different temp and snow conditions. When they came out with waxless skis, what a godsend those were.

Is skikjøring on the menu for you to try?

image.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1