52 Year old Norweigan Man Takes How Own Life

ChiFlyer

This story ran in the Pattaya News a few days back.

https://thepattayanews.com/2023/08/31/norwegian-man-hangs-himself-in-pattaya/

We have all seen these types of stories before and usually write it off. Granted everyone has demons and sometimes they can catch up with someone. Like the news article says, do not try and ride out depression -> seek help.

At a personal level what is different about this story is that I knew this guy. He was not a close friend of mine, but we would both occasionally frequent a certain bar in Jomtien where we had a circle of mutual friends. He was well liked and easy to get along with. I had not seen much of him over the last year, so I could not begin to speculate on his mental state leading up to his death.

I realize that it is normal for family and friends to experience denial when one of their own takes his own life.

Over the last few days there have been a lot of texts and phone calls among the crowd who knew him. In general, it is felt that the news story does not ring true. It is felt that there is more going on. The deceased most recently had been managing a bar on the Dark Side. Although the news article says that it is unknown if he and his significant other were married, he had told me that they got married about a year ago. 

The couple of guys that I know who were much closer friends of his are all back in Norway at this time. 

On the off chance that anyone has additional information about this matter, please PM me. I do not want to blast a lot of speculative theories on an internet board.

And maybe I just did.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Sad 5

Always sadder when it’s someone you know. I don’t know if the pandemic slowed down this sort of thing or maybe it’s just not reported as much….all I know it happened shockingly often even when I spent 8 months there back in 2009. I always assumed the vast majority are financial cases, either misjudging their savings or the Thai lady getting her hands on everything. But I guess some people, myself included, have a higher tendency towards depression and it gets to a point where they feel it’s the only way out

Saw the one of the Swedish guy whose neighbour begs him not to do it, you see him pinch his nose and go over the balcony…..f—k me he either landed on a car or in the pool from 15+ stories. Believe someone on Secrets commented around the same period about a jumper landing right beside him while he was lounging at his condo….that would traumatize me I think

• Like 2

Strange unsolved farang deaths are a dime a dozen in Pattaya...

The police are more than happy to declare just about any and all farang deaths suicides which doesn't help matters.....They have no interest in even the slightest investigation....

There is almost never any follow-up to these stories so I expect nothing more will be heard from this one..

Thailand is a good place to live but not to die....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Always sadder when it’s someone you know. I don’t know if the pandemic slowed down this sort of thing or maybe it’s just not reported as much….all I know it happened shockingly often even when I spent 8 months there back in 2009. I always assumed the vast majority are financial cases, either misjudging their savings or the Thai lady getting her hands on everything. But I guess some people, myself included, have a higher tendency towards depression and it gets to a point where they feel it’s the only way out

Saw the one of the Swedish guy whose neighbour begs him not to do it, you see him pinch his nose and go over the balcony…..f—k me he either landed on a car or in the pool from 15+ stories. Believe someone on Secrets commented around the same period about a jumper landing right beside him while he was lounging at his condo….that would traumatize me I think

The first one I worked was off a nine story parking garage onto a very large sidewalk area. 

The thing I recall (still vividly) - looked like srambled eggs with ketchup.

Three minutes later CFPD showed up with a truck and a wagon. They bagged him, loaded him into the wagon and hauled him off, then hosed down the sidewalk. Five minutes later, everything back to normal. 

12 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

There was a long lost thread someplace, somewhere in the distant past - 

"Jumpers"

--- I've gotten so I rarely get through these stories. 

The jumpers thread was on the Secrets forum....

And it was a long one indeed....100s of Jumper posts.....And if I remember right almost every last one of them was ruled a suicide, no matter the evidence....

1 hour ago, fforest said:

Well not every one of them but the vast majority were ruled suicides.....I remember many posts were made about this...

Secrets preceded myself being a regular in Thailand, but I do not doubt your recollections.

With Thailand being so dependent on the tourism economy, the Thai police etc. feel compelled to spin any event away from a Thai person being responsible when a Farang is involved. I think this is taken to the point of white washing any signs of foul play toward a Farang. 

I remember a few years back when in an effort to promote "family tourism" an inspection was done of Walking Street. It was proudly proclaimed that no evidence of prostitution had been found. 😏

I really do not know if there is something more sinister going on in this case, but I wonder ...

10 hours ago, tommy dee said:

IN THIS CASE.  THE WOMANS BROTHER TOLD MEDIA THAT THE NORWEGIAN HAS BEEN ANGRY FOR A WHILE AS SHE WENT TO WORK BACK IN A BAR TYPE BUSINESS

oops sorry caps

What I am getting back differs somewhat from this.

The Norwegian in question was not a Pattaya newbie in any sense. He had been a snowbird here for years and about a year or so back moved here full time.

The Thai ladies in our extended group are saying that she (the wife) is not a good person. Again we all liked the deceased. The Thai ladies in the group think that the wife thought she had won the lottery by marrying a Farang. He may well have retired too soon and was having money problems. In any case she went back to being a bar girl in a big way.

They were married as I understand it. A mutual friend (who was a close friend of the deceased) told me they had a large reception in Hua Hin. Maybe they never legalized it at the Amphoe. 

I really do not know wtf happened, but I am curious.

Sad to say, I know of two attempted suicides where the individual did not die, they did indeed confirm they were trying to do away with themselves.

In fact, one was a Thai lady. Both, probably feel their quality of life now, is not what they intended and their physical state, isn't going to lead to a happy life going forward.

I do agree though that, for those that have passed on, their partners have always confirmed that their mental state was not normal, seems to keep the BIB happy.

I think of all the "jumpers" I've heard of in Pattaya, the one which affected me the most was Howard, the Photographer who was a regular in FLB and on the FLB Freelancer bar forum at the time. He was an affable guy, always cheerful and had a very upbeat demeanour.

The Pattaya mail published censored pictures of his body iiirc and the scene itself. Quite upsetting to think that one minute prior to the pic being taken he had made his decision to end it all. No idea as to why, he wa fairly financially solvent and didn't have a regular gf.

The whole jumping phenomenon seems to be a lot less now thankfully than it was in years past....There was a 2-3 year period about 7-8-9-10-11?? years ago where it seemed almost like a weekly or even a few times a week occurrence.....

Edited by fforest

8 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

I would be horrified to find out that any of the young ladies I have been with, were prostitutes 😊

For the last f—king time on here, I swear…..

None of have ever paid for sex, we are gentlemen and overly generous with their taxi fare in the morning

OK…enough, my anxiety is acting up, I’m taking an Ativan 

14 minutes ago, fforest said:

The whole jumping phenomenon seems to be a lot less now thankfully than it was in years past....There was a 2-3 year period about 7-8-9-10-11?? years ago where it seemed almost like a weekly or even a few times a week occurrence.....

Kind of what I said above…..great minds think alike 

4 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Kind of what I said above…..great minds think alike 

Well..... Covid massively reduced the number of "tourists" (and others here), although it is rebounding somewhat. Larger influx of people overall = more cases of jumpers. It is really almost a mathmatical equation.

Also.... I think there has been some efforts to reduce the reporting of such incidents. Example.... on the old board (yes, I know ff the name of the board) they dumped the thread. I guess too many bad vibes. I don't care either way, up too them. 

When they do whatever it is they are going to do I don't give a fcuk. When it affects another innocent person (example, a jumper killing someone walking by on the street when on the way to the pavement) then it's a story that needs to be published.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Covid reduced the number of "tourists" (and others here), although it is rebounding somewhat. Larger influx of people overall = more cases of jumpers. 

Beautiful choice of words right there……..I won’t paste any smiley faces as that would be inappropriate 

7 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

For the last f—king time on here, I swear…..

None of have ever paid for sex, we are gentlemen and overly generous with their taxi fare in the morning

OK…enough, my anxiety is acting up, I’m taking an Ativan 

Never paid for sex; I have though, given them a payment to ensure they all leave in the morning.

• Thumbs Up 2

20 hours ago, fforest said:

Well not every one of them but the vast majority were ruled suicides.....I remember many posts were made about this...

In this case it looks like suicide, by noose, but it seems no note. There must be statistics on how likely there not being a suicide note is.

The alternative is accident or murder. For murder a motive is needed. If indeed the deceased had financial problems there aren't that many other potential  reasons left, murder in broad daylight is a high risk activity. High risk requires high reward.

The Norwegians i see in Pattaya tend to be heavy so hanging seems an unlikely murder method.

Perhaps ownership of the house is an interesting line of enquiry.

Going back to the possibility of accident. I do believe many suicides are "a cry for help" but i guess cuts and pills are the main methods - do men statistically do this?

52 minutes ago, Zambo said:

In this case it looks like suicide, by noose, but it seems no note. There must be statistics on how likely there not being a suicide note is.

The alternative is accident or murder. For murder a motive is needed. If indeed the deceased had financial problems there aren't that many other potential  reasons left, murder in broad daylight is a high risk activity. High risk requires high reward.

The Norwegians i see in Pattaya tend to be heavy so hanging seems an unlikely murder method.

Perhaps ownership of the house is an interesting line of enquiry.

Going back to the possibility of accident. I do believe many suicides are "a cry for help" but i guess cuts and pills are the main methods - do men statistically do this?

He's from a part of the World that sees many more days of darkness, literally. I recall that there is a link between the amount (lack of) daylight a person experiences and "depression". 

Maybe when he arrived to the sunny beaches the shock was too great?

Either way.... he is now on a road to nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdsAbzR8l5Y