Talking with the BIB

Aqualung

Had a brilliant night out last night somewhere in BKK.... Went to see a band called Marijuana!!! 

Coming out of the venue and waiting for a taxi back to Don Mueang, there was 4 coppers talking with the venues security guards. 

I just jolliley said good evening gents are you OK?  Only to be pulled up by my son in law in the taxi. 

f**k me did I do something terrible? 

Never ever have I had dealings with the Thai police but surely a polite hello is not out of the question? 

Probably naive on my part but good god! Farang cannot say anything to the BIB. 

I think it's hit or miss....many are unfriendly, some are smiling and talkative. I remember back in 2010 sitting outside a massage shop on Loi Kroh in CM, there were many extra officers as HER Majesty was visiting a temple close by. BiB guy just said hello, laughed and rubbed my belly, f---k me only weighed 250 at the time, he should have seen me 3 years later - must have been an ex-muay Thai boxer

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Aqualung said:

Had a brilliant night out last night somewhere in BKK.... Went to see a band called Marijuana!!! 

Coming out of the venue and waiting for a taxi back to Don Mueang, there was 4 coppers talking with the venues security guards. 

I just jolliley said good evening gents are you OK?  Only to be pulled up by my son in law in the taxi. 

f**k me did I do something terrible? 

Never ever have I had dealings with the Thai police but surely a polite hello is not out of the question? 

Probably naive on my part but good god! Farang cannot say anything to the BIB. 

Would you have done the same in the UK on an evening out?

I might give a polite nod to a police officer but wouldn't seek to have a laugh with them. That does depend on the specific situation though.

I don't see anything wrong with a polite nod and a smile, or saying good evening to the BIB. All my dealings with them have been polite and professional (even the one time they drove me to a nearby ATM for a contribution to the BIB Tea Party Fund).

Suggest asking your SIL why he considered it a bad idea to engage in a friendly exchange with the BIB and report back what he said. Could be a learning experience for us.

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Interesting to say the least Steve......I personally have never been told by wifey especially, NOT to talk to the Police and she would obviously know. Perhaps your Brother In Law could clarify to you why he did what he did. Now, I think most of us have common sense, and know better not to walk up on the local Police, when they are doing their business, but just a few weeks back, wifey and I were at an open market here, one was directing traffic, as I walked by, he reached out to shake my hand! I thought that was cool. I always try to say something to them when appropiate. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

I might give a polite nod to a police officer but wouldn't seek to have a laugh with them. That does depend on the specific situation though.

^^^^^ Again, well said.

People should read the environment, the circumstances, the body language and/or if there is one or more present.

When walking past an individual a quick respectful nod of the head is reasonable. Trying to say something funny is probably not a good idea as they could be focused on something. When they are in groups they can be completely unpredictable (just walk past normally and soberly, don't look like a moron). Out of sight, out of mind. 

Not really wise to bring any attention to yourself, period. But, there are times where eye contact is made, a repsectful acknowledgement is appropriate.

All of this really comes down to personal awareness, basic respect for others, and COMMON SENSE.

• Thumbs Up 3

Many years ago I was visiting the wife's village over songkran and met a police officer visiting his family there.  He was pretty friendly.  A few days later we got pulled over by the police in the local Amphur who wanted to bust me for driving a motorcycle without an IDP.  That officer road by, told them he knew me, so they let me go.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

4 hours ago, tko said:

Many years ago I was visiting the wife's village over songkran and met a police officer visiting his family there.  He was pretty friendly.  A few days later we got pulled over by the police in the local Amphur who wanted to bust me for driving a motorcycle without an IDP.  That officer road by, told them he knew me, so they let me go.

A nice bottle in his Christmas stocking would probably be a nice gesture.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Done it many a time in England Lemondropkid. Of course they weren't busy at the time. 

I wasn't trying to have a laugh. I was just saying a polite "good evening" 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I don't see anything wrong with a polite nod and a smile, or saying good evening to the BIB. All my dealings with them have been polite and professional (even the one time they drove me to a nearby ATM for a contribution to the BIB Tea Party Fund).

Suggest asking your SIL why he considered it a bad idea to engage in a friendly exchange with the BIB and report back what he said. Could be a learning experience for us.

His main excuse was that he didn't trust them one bit even though he's never been in trouble with them. Wife said the same but added that if they thought I was drunk and taking the piss, things could go pear shaped quickly and involve the rest of my Thai family. 

Needless to say, I will give them a swerve in the future and reserve my friendliness for others. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

Done it many a time in England Lemondropkid. Of course they weren't busy at the time. 

I wasn't trying to have a laugh. I was just saying a polite "good evening" 

Was once having a lovely chat with a Brit Bobbie in some section of London (forgot the hood, a lot of sports bars, etc.). 

Suddenly some marked up Italian clown came running past us, a pissed off bloddied Brit trailing behind him waving his arms. 

The chase was on. I caught up with the Italian. He had just gotten into a scuffle with the Brit guy (cold cocked the drunk moron). I took him down to the ground, bobbies were on top of him in a hearbeat. He went to the clink. After a good laugh and a pat on the back I was off to the next bar. The Italian jag off to jail, the Brit off to the hospital.

Best thing about it was I didn't have to write a report. Not sure how I got home that night.

That London/Scotland trip is still to this day the most fun I have ever had when trevelling.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

When I stayed in Bangkok a policeman used to pop into a mates bar, I would chat with him and also bought him a drink or two.

One night a drunk was trying to pick a fight with me in a bar but I just laughed it off, in walked the policeman and a few minutes later the drunk left.

The policeman left and then returned to let me know the drunk was sitting outside the next bar in a position to ambush me when I left.

When we finally left I kept an eye out for him and there he was dead to the world outside the next bar.

• Thumbs Up 2

A few years ago we were having a party outside our place in Korat & 3 cops turned up in plain clothes & joined in.

The eldest must've been quite high up as all the Thais were very respectful to him.Not sure what they were doing there but they seemed quite happy getting fed & watered on the house.Never seen or heard of them since.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

The police in the PI are ok. There's often a Police presence outside SM Malls, and also Mall of Asia / Megamall, as well as around Greenbelt. I always say hi, and get a hello in return.

In Thailand I'll give a polite nod but nothing else.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/21/2023 at 8:02 PM, Glasseye said:

Was once having a lovely chat with a Brit Bobbie in some section of London (forgot the hood, a lot of sports bars, etc.). 

Might have been Soho/Picadilly circus? Perfect area to take a visitor for a night out. Also used to be a large vice squad in Soho

9 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Might have been Soho/Picadilly circus? Perfect area to take a visitor for a night out. Also used to be a large vice squad in Soho

There was a big football tourney going on during that night. The Eyetalian cnut clobbered the Brit and ran off like a sissy. Cried like a baby.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Butch said:

The police in the PI are ok. There's often a Police presence outside SM Malls, and also Mall of Asia / Megamall, as well as around Greenbelt. I always say hi, and get a hello in return.

In Thailand I'll give a polite nod but nothing else.

I got a nice head bob and a smile from a BIB on a motorbike the other day. I was standing there with my bike gear, helmet well adjusted and having a good laugh with my housing security guard.

The rare times I pass one here in the sticks I get a blank stare, I just keep my head down and pay attention to my route. Never get bothered.

Being non-motorized provides multiple benefits. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 10/22/2023 at 4:35 AM, coxyhog said:

A few years ago we were having a party outside our place in Korat & 3 cops turned up in plain clothes & joined in.

The eldest must've been quite high up as all the Thais were very respectful to him.Not sure what they were doing there but they seemed quite happy getting fed & watered on the house.Never seen or heard of them since.

They were just politely checking you out no drugs guns or gambling 

2 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I avoid the Thai police at all times and if they come into a bar i'm in i then check bin. I have no wish to be anywhere near these ????? especially when they're drinking and sporting guns.

Wise choice.    Departure, slow and natural... maybe after they've gotten their first beer in them. 

55555 !

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I avoid the Thai police at all times and if they come into a bar i'm in i then check bin. I have no wish to be anywhere near these ????? especially when they're drinking and sporting guns.

There was a poor Canadian in Mae Hong Son who is no longer with us, under those exact circumstances

• Sad 1