Vloggers and the future.

Butch

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

I watched them during Covid , but they all eventually started to annoy me and one by one I unsubscribed.... I still follow a few Thailand based vlogs, but none in Pattaya 

Same here, zero interest now in any Thai vlogs. I can see how they might be of interest to people who are unable to travel, say medical reasons, finances.

If you are able to travel you are much better making up your own mind on the ground, and let your eyes be your guide.

I have though "liked and subscribed" on the Fabulous Pattaya news channel. I'd view them as different from the vloggers as they are putting out a news service.(and much of it is relevant to the whole of Thailand). And perhaps most importantly succinct.

Less than 5 minutes for the daily news bulletin, not the same thing reapeated, very, very slowly

Hard to believe that people are still producing "content" going around filming on the streets of Pattaya. 

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

I watched them during Covid , but they all eventually started to annoy me and one by one I unsubscribed.... I still follow a few Thailand based vlogs, but none in Pattaya 

I didn't even watch them during covid.... I found they were too depressing, and, frankly, inaccurate, with predictions that were completely pie in the sky!

My views haven't improved since...

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I’ve never bothered with the bloggers that do the usual walk down walking street or the usual venues in BKK , but I did watch some guy vlogging from he and his wife’s farm out in the sticks. I did find him interesting, but can’t remember his name. 😟

Lately it’s all the same 💩 with most of them and I’m not interested in seeing someone disparaging the Thai people or their culture for likes or donations. I wish the authorities would round them up and kick them out of the country. 😡

Rant over. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Never ever watched any vloggers, just never felt the need. 

If I have needed info, I usually get it from my friends in Thailand but mainly from my own times and experiences in Thailand.

My mate does send me a YouTube video of Sabang Beach, Puerta Galera, as the commentator, owner is a Philippine ex girlfriend. 

Other than realising the beach area at Sabang has been destroyed by an eyesore of a promenade, the only other thing I have gained is how ugly my old girlfriend is. It was 1990 that she was my lady, but a friend introduced her to a South African guy whilst I was away, he proposed to her in less than 5 mins. That 5 mins really did me a favour, some Philippinas don't age well.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, KhunDon said:

I’ve never bothered with the bloggers that do the usual walk down walking street or the usual venues in BKK , but I did watch some guy vlogging from he and his wife’s farm out in the sticks. I did find him interesting, but can’t remember his name. 😟

Perhaps Toon & Leigh Porpeang farm?
 image.png

7 hours ago, Butch said:

One thing that gets me is the Restaurant and venue reviews.

It is blatant advertising of course, but it also smacks of a bit of "freeloading" from the vloggers, getting free food and drinks, along with probably a payment to be featured on their channel. As mentioned by BM @Lemondropkid, best thing to do is to get on the ground and make your own mind up.

I know we have rules here so I won't name the place, but on the suggestion of a vlogger featuring a place on Soi 15 that apparently served excellent Pizza, I went there and tried one because I do like a pizza now and then. The place was overpriced to begin with, service was good but the quality of the food was awful. I've had better microwave pizzas from work tbh.

Pattaya bars are hit and miss at the best of times, but the way these vloggers sell them, you're left with the impression every bar serves excellent food and top quality drinks at cheap prices and is stacked to the roof with models.

Couldn't agree more  

Went to a couple of places one vlogger reviewed was nothing special same prices as everyone else mediocre service 

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree it is very repetitive, I used to watch a few of them but what for? They are not teaching me much I don’t know already, and some of the “detailed” content we really want can be taken down by YT anyway. 

I do however search for similar quality blogs on Colombian nightlife/cost of living, compared to Thailand they are NOT as overdone. And some of the best videos, are done by locals & only in Spanish, which I speak a bit but not on THAT level

2 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

I agree it is very repetitive, I used to watch a few of them but what for? They are not teaching me much I don’t know already, and some of the “detailed” content we really want can be taken down by YT anyway. 

d'accord

I find vloggers like early days of website/forum commentators, e.g., Stickman, where they left me with an impression of Thailand began when they landed.

After a few viewings of their dribble I realized that although they often expressed things in absolute terms, e.g., Stickman, lowest of low seasons evvvvverrrrr, or Nana is much better than Cowboy, all they were doing is dribbling their personal opinions and as if they were facts.

I do like opening Stickman these days for pictures though, he and those that take pictures for him have a good eye even if they are usually highly photo shopped/filtered shots.

Vloggers are just pitas taking up space of limited space walkways in Pattaya and Bangkok. A lot of them are pretty sketchy. This clip of that Buzzin guy is going viral on a few forums now

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

I've only watched a couple this year,retired working for you ? I think he's called and ride for kicks,...maybe he was last year,the rest that pop up now and then I've no interest.

RWFY I don’t know, he’s good but something about him rubs me the wrong way. R4K I was a very loyal fan especially 4 years ago when I saw his weight loss journey- for those who don’t know, I timed his weight loss watching a couple of Kev’s parties- what he lost in those first 75-90 days, going by the fat on his face, is nothing short of a miracle

But I can’t be bothered anymore, sorry, same old shite. Anyone else think he was just a little too focussed on his vlogs during his GF’s cancer, and what, no lengthy mourning period either, eh? His voice comes across as a super nice fella, but I don’t like him much now 

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

RWFY I don’t know, he’s good but something about him rubs me the wrong way. R4K I was a very loyal fan especially 4 years ago when I saw his weight loss journey- for those who don’t know, I timed his weight loss watching a couple of Kev’s parties- what he lost in those first 75-90 days, going by the fat on his face, is nothing short of a miracle

But I can’t be bothered anymore, sorry, same old shite. Anyone else think he was just a little too focussed on his vlogs during his GF’s cancer, and what, no lengthy mourning period either, eh? His voice comes across as a super nice fella, but I don’t like him much now 

I'm ambivalent about R4K. People grieve in different ways. His eulogy at the former GF funeral was class.

But overall he comes across to me as a used car salesman.

• Thumbs Up 4

5 hours ago, Trip said:

But overall he comes across to me as a used car salesman.

Good call.

I posted a negative review for an obviously fake, plastic Irish pub that he'd reviewed along with others, during COVID. Everyman and his dog had reviewed the same place, farcical really.

He and several of his disciples kept trying to come back on me without much success. To be fair to him, he didn't block me out.

But these guys are salesman, the owner is always a great guy, the food the best in it's class e.t.c

If I was 13 years old again I'd find these vloggers credible, but that's a long time gone!!!

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Great Info 2

19 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

If I was sitting in a bar would these people respect my privacy and not include me in the vidoes they are making?

Some would, but unfortunately most won't. I've had a couple of run ins with the type that didn't honor a polite request not to include me in their video. Self-entitled pricks in my book.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1