Longevity....

Glasseye

Enjoy whatever time i have left to the best of my ability.

I suffer from no underlying issues ( as far as i know ) and certainly do not believe in looking for any !!

I know i have arthritis in my hands and knees, but it really benefits from the warmth of Thailand so it's no great problem.

• Thumbs Up 2

Enjoy every minute that you are alive.

"Enjoyment" is a personal thing though and difficult to define. I thought enjoyment meant throwing my money around but really I was just being a complete dickhead. Now the kids in my gang make me happy..

In the last hour a "new" small boy wanted to join in with the others running around in uncontrolled mayhem but came to me first whilst I was sitting down on my seat. A girl grabbed his hand and off he went into the chaos of children screaming with laughter..

I'm happy here ...

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

I started going to the gym in March, feel better with shoulders more mobile, knees improved (one totally recovered). Generally good feeling.

But put on 5kg. Nothing to do with fat/muscle ratio, just eating more and sometimes a few beers after the session.

Next step is keep up the gym and concentrate on weight loss. Then start running, 2 or 3km to start, aiming for 5km if the knee is up to it.

Will reduce coffee, already veg and fruit maxed out, maybe cut out pork.

Longevity to follow?

• Thumbs Up 3

Longevity with mental and physical health is indeed a blessing, but staving off the inevitable becomes harder with each passing year.

I don't wish to be a burden on my Mrs if I got dementia, so I've given her my blessing to send me on my way in the most painless way possible. Her face lit up at the idea and she's already started preparing , I did inform her that it's perhaps a bit too early to start stocking up on paracetamol and vodka...

Keeping fit, maintaining a reasonable amount of strength, cutting back even more on the booze and possibly starting Yoga are on my 2024 "to do" list. Over the next 5 or so years I really want to get off shift work and possibly retire early, keep my weight down and do more walking which I really enjoy.

• Thumbs Up 2

I want to keep going to the gym for as long as I possibly can.

Eating healthily is also very important & wifey is a brilliant cook & her food is always very nutritious.

My only downside is the demon drink,but what's the point of the first two if I can't have a drop or three?

Anyway vin rouge is good for me....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

5 hours ago, Butch said:

Longevity with mental and physical health is indeed a blessing, but staving off the inevitable becomes harder with each passing year.

I don't wish to be a burden on my Mrs if I got dementia, so I've given her my blessing to send me on my way in the most painless way possible. Her face lit up at the idea and she's already started preparing , I did inform her that it's perhaps a bit too early to start stocking up on paracetamol and vodka...

Keeping fit, maintaining a reasonable amount of strength, cutting back even more on the booze and possibly starting Yoga are on my 2024 "to do" list. Over the next 5 or so years I really want to get off shift work and possibly retire early, keep my weight down and do more walking which I really enjoy.

Yes, I also love to walk and hope that the warm Thailand weather will help my arthritic knee when I return - I used to love walking around Pattaya, sometimes doing more than 25km a day - one of my favourite activities was walking between the various gentlemen's clubs in Jomtien. These days it's tough doing my security job where I am in and out of the truck about fifty times a night - once I am on my feet I am fine but it's bending the leg to get in and out of the vehicle that causes me pain. As for the boozing, all in moderation but sometimes I think beer is the only thing that really keeps me sane...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Butch said:

Just be wary of 'sweet tea' spiked with antifreeze.

• Haha 1
  • Surprised 1

20 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Really for me, I want to be as healthy as possible, see so many guys, especially back in the USA that are like 67, but look 107. Bad lifestyle choices, they didn't have to be that way, they chose to be that way. 

I like many others, want to see how long I can keep up this pace without realistically saying to myself "you need to slow down"  So far my plan is working for me...hope it lasts alot longer. 

Yes, i dread when the day comes where i have to say okay, i can't do what i like doing at the gym anymore.

I do circuits, and HIIT, and can do circuits that has people 20 years younger than me struggling. 

It's something i have thought about, though currently no indications of having to slow down, except i take a bit longer to 'recover' after a good gym session.

I mean, i know i'll just adjust what i do, not stop, but it'll be a sad day, a reality check of where i am at, at that time.

It's also why i'm living my life to the full as much as i can nowadays.

I loved Lapland, the silence, calm in the snowy wilderness. Came back a couple of days, contacted the guide we used, booked to go back in Feb myself for a proper wilderness adventure at a remote lodge type place he works/relaxes at. Would be too cold and strenuous for my 2 girls. You'd need a decent level of fitness for what we have planned, snowshoe trekking, cross country skiing, snowmobiling etc.

I know i'll love it, and it'll help my mental and physical health. 

60 days and counting ... 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Surprised 1

20 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Really for me, I want to be as healthy as possible, see so many guys, especially back in the USA that are like 67, but look 107. Bad lifestyle choices, they didn't have to be that way, they chose to be that way. 

I like many others, want to see how long I can keep up this pace without realistically saying to myself "you need to slow down"  So far my plan is working for me...hope it lasts alot longer. 

I’m 55 and go to the gym every day for between 45 to 60 minutes doing a brisk walk on the treadmill. Keeps my weight down and fitness up without having to overdo anything.

• Thumbs Up 3