Insomnia

Nightcrawler

No, not the nightclub. 

For about a month now, I have been waking up after only 3 or 4 hours sleep at night and had definitely become more frequent. Whilst I don't feel tired, I then seem to fall asleep during afternoon or evening for a couple of hours if inactive.

It worries me slightly because it feels like my body clock has gone oytbof sync. I woke up 10.minutes agonat just gone 3.30 am. 

Came downstairs, made a cup of tea and feel wide awake. It will take a while before I go back to bed, then sleep for maybe 4 hours.

Have run-out of sleeping tablets too and my doctor won't prescribe anything strong, like Xanax . 

Does anyone else experience this kind of sleep disorder and what have you done to improve it? 

For some reason, it happens less when on holiday in Pattaya and I often sleep well, although don't often turn in until about 3am and sleep through  

• Great Info 1

2 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

No, not the nightclub. 

For about a month now, I have been waking up after only 3 or 4 hours sleep at night and had definitely become more frequent. Whilst I don't feel tired, I then seem to fall asleep during afternoon or evening for a couple of hours if inactive.

It worries me slightly because it feels like my body clock has gone oytbof sync. I woke up 10.minutes agonat just gone 3.30 am. 

Came downstairs, made a cup of tea and feel wide awake. It will take a while before I go back to bed, then sleep for maybe 4 hours.

Have run-out of sleeping tablets too and my doctor won't prescribe anything strong, like Xanax . 

Does anyone else experience this kind of sleep disorder and what have you done to improve it? 

For some reason, it happens less when on holiday in Pattaya and I often sleep well, although don't often turn in until about 3am and sleep through  

Have you ever heard of ASMR? 

These are videos from people who role play and act as if they are speaking to you while looking directly into the camera, such as playing a doctor and you are the patient being checked for an ear exam for example, or a scalp exam.

These ASMR "artists" speak in very calm, often whispering tones, the idea being that you will begin to have a feeling of relaxation come over you, which eventually will lead you to fall asleep.

I've been using them for years and they work for me. 

Just click on You Tube on your phone and type in ASMR. A few of the people I've fallen asleep to while listening to their videos include, "Articulate Design", "Lloyd's ASMR", "Ting Ting ASMR"....a lovely Asian woman, "Massage ASMR", and "Dr. T ASMR".

They might create a 40 minute cranial nerve exam video....those seem to be very popular.....and there is a good chance you'll fall asleep well before the video is finished.

Type in any of those in the YT search bar and give it a try. You just might be out like a light in a matter of minutes, no medication necessary.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

During my well-documented struggles with Long COVID/POTS that started exactly a year ago, I went through hell. Have always been a lazy c**t who had no trouble falling asleep. February 15th I started a Beta Blocker to slow down the tachycardia, but a few weeks later when I added the Zoloft…..I just could not fall asleep at night. I don’t have the exact dates, but I think I went 5 weeks with maybe snoring for 30 seconds in the mid-afternoon laying on a sofa- ZERO SLEEP that whole time at night from 10-7…..nothing. 

Not ashamed to say I went, shall we say, temporarily insane. Cops were called one morning I was supposed to go to the dentist first time in a decade- stayed the weekend in a psych ward which was very degrading . I could not sit down & stay still either most of that month, had to stand, walk, or be lying down. Was hell on Mum, who along with several other close relatives have judged me & never forgiven me- calling me lazy, crazy, a “princess looking for attention” Etc….

Dreamt of walking in front of the train near me 50 times a day. A few days into it, my internist told me they can’t do anything for me- just stay off your phone prior to bed, try colouring books prior to going to bed…..it’s all bullshit mate, yes I am guilty of being on my device 12 hours a day, bringing phone to bed….but it never led to me not sleeping

I believe I saw my shrink 4/4, could not sit down and just stood up in his office with Mum feeling helpless, when she got the car it took me 2 blocks of walking around the block, agitated before feeling OK to sit….AMAZINGLY I endured a very slow ride in the backseat, first 2 miles was 35 minutes, same boulevard crazy traffic 5 pm

2 days later saw the internist again, still hadn’t slept but mood was better, was able to sit still. Along the way I had a crazy dry mouth, it passed after a few days but without a Gatorade or solid food, just lingered

And then another 2-3 days, April 10 or so, a miracle occurred….I slept again…..Never been so relieved! April 29th had an overnight test for sleep apnea, returned the equipment next day but missed the Doctor’s call/follow-up, but 99% sure I don’t have it or she would have tried harder to teach me. Dad had it, and before their divorce Mum said he would choke….she said I snore but nothing like he did

And I am now much better….but it’s been a slow process. 2 months now off my Beta, I still think I am prone to tachycardia but nothing like last January where just taking a shit I probably hit 170 BPM! Still take my 50 of Zoloft religiously, was very against it but in the end it worked- but at what price????

I think my heart beats faster with activity, partly due to unconscious anxiety, and also because I am back over 270 lbs, from 232 a year ago but same as late 2022 and much lower than my worst of 336

I think I am slowly going to hit the weights, O have been told my heart is perfect, lifetime non-smoker & all the tests showed all is good 

Insomnia is truly one of the worst things a human can endure, I believe it when they say interrogators don’t even torture terrorists anymore- keep a man awake for 10 days, trust me…..he WILL tell you whatever you want to know! 

5 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Have you ever heard of ASMR? 

These are videos from people who role play and act as if they are speaking to you while looking directly into the camera, such as playing a doctor and you are the patient being checked for an ear exam for example, or a scalp exam.

These ASMR "artists" speak in very calm, often whispering tones, the idea being that you will begin to have a feeling of relaxation come over you, which eventually will lead you to fall asleep.

I've been using them for years and they work for me. 

Just click on You Tube on your phone and type in ASMR. A few of the people I've fallen asleep to while listening to their videos include, "Articulate Design", "Lloyd's ASMR", "Ting Ting ASMR"....a lovely Asian woman, "Massage ASMR", and "Dr. T ASMR".

They might create a 40 minute cranial nerve exam video....those seem to be very popular.....and there is a good chance you'll fall asleep well before the video is finished.

Type in any of those in the YT search bar and give it a try. You just might be out like a light in a matter of minutes, no medication necessary.

My missus goes to sleep to the dulcet tones of a female Thai voice....one of the reasons we have separate bedrooms now.

That & the fact that she retires about 8pm & gets up at the crack of sparrows.

I remember years ago reading about a study that put people in a place where there was no morning or nightfall & eventually they slept in two batches of a few hours each.

In Oman & Saudi when on early shift(0600 start) I'd always sleep for 2-3 hours in the afternoon as well as at night.Mind you that also facilitated going to the bar in the evening,in Oman at least.

• Like 1

Didn't drink any alcohol during a virus infection recently. Had trouble falling asleep or woke up midnight after going to bed too early.

Now as usually 3-4 drinks before bedtime and sleeping again like a baby.

The doc of a friend told him after beeing asked for some sleeping meds: alcohol is the best. Wise man.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

No, not the nightclub. 

Give me your address and I'll fire you down some melatonin 5mg.

If you've not tried it before, you may be surprised how effective it is. It's slow release as well, but just be aware you may get vivid and lucid dreams.

Failing that, the quack might prescribe some zopiclone, but it leaves a metallic taste in your mouth for ages.

For the non drug solutions, not eating after 6pm, cut out the caffiene (tea has a load in it) - or do something slightly more different, get up at 0500 one morning, do your usual routine, don't snooze in the afternoon but instead go for a stroll, or even for a beer in the pub, anything to avoid sleeping. 2 or 3 days of this will reset your body clock and you'll find yourself feeling physically tired come 10pm, you'll then sleep much better and for longer. Then you can resume getting up a bit later and going to bed a bit later, but without the disturbed sleep.

It is simply a case that your body clock becoming used to this current routine. Reset it and reconfigure it to what you want, so basically for extended, uninterrupted sleep, you need extended, uninterrupted periods of wakefulness.

Edited by Butch
  • Great Info 1

44 minutes ago, Butch said:

Give me your address and I'll fire you down some melatonin 5mg.

If you've not tried it before, you may be surprised how effective it is. It's slow release as well, but just be aware you may get vivid and lucid dreams.

Failing that, the quack might prescribe some zopiclone, but it leaves a metallic taste in your mouth for ages.

For the non drug solutions, not eating after 6pm, cut out the caffiene (tea has a load in it) - or do something slightly more different, get up at 0500 one morning, do your usual routine, don't snooze in the afternoon but instead go for a stroll, or even for a beer in the pub, anything to avoid sleeping. 2 or 3 days of this will reset your body clock and you'll find yourself feeling physically tired come 10pm, you'll then sleep much better and for longer. Then you can resume getting up a bit later and going to bed a bit later, but without the disturbed sleep.

It is simply a case that your body clock becoming used to this current routine. Reset it and reconfigure it to what you want, so basically for extended, uninterrupted sleep, you need extended, uninterrupted periods of wakefulness.

Might take you up on the Melatonin when I get back if it persists 

I am hoping that my body clock will sort itself when I am in Thailand but I will buy some more Alprazolam when I'm out there, just in case  

I probably won't get much sleep.on the flight so that may help later on my arrival after copious amounts of alcohol.on my first night. 

I have struggled with sleep issues for years.

I don't choose to elaborate because there are different examples, reasons and ways to manage and/or accept them. 

I used to wake up in the middle of the night and lay there thinking mostly negativity and being pissed off about not being able to fall asleep. Now when it happens I just get up and try to do something productive.

I have found that in those cases a small amount of carbohydrates (like a mini Snickers bar) can be enough to enable me to fall back asleep.

Good excersize is the only thing I have found that contributes to better regular sleep.

Not fighting it or overly worrying about it is also helpful I've found.

On 1/15/2024 at 11:49 AM, Nightcrawler said:

No, not the nightclub. 

You could try going to watch a movie, always works for me

Reading or listening to a book helps give me back the heavy eyelids.

With an audible book I have to make sure I set the auto turn off to 15 minutes or I'll wake up in the morning to find the entire book has played out and I'm left struggling to find the place that I nodded off at.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ambien works, but you can easily become dependant on it. And when you first begin taking it you can wake up the next morning and discover that you had been out the previous night in the middle of your town square trying to rotate a fire hydrant up your bum. You won't remember a thing, but everyone else in town will have already heard the news.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Might take you up on the Melatonin when I get back if it persists 

I am hoping that my body clock will sort itself when I am in Thailand but I will buy some more Alprazolam when I'm out there, just in case  

I probably won't get much sleep.on the flight so that may help later on my arrival after copious amounts of alcohol.on my first night. 

Yep, let me know mate. Don't buy it in Thailand as they get (import) it from the same place I do.

I can send you some testers, if they work then I can grab you an order along with mine.

I think YT is spying on us.

I have no idea how this would pop up out of nowhere regarding this channel vid.

I have made no searches, no comments (other than here). No other mention whatsoever regarding this issue.

This kind of shit is happening much more often than to write it off as conincidence. Pisses me off.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

I think YT is spying on us.

I have no idea how this would pop up out of nowhere regarding this channel vid.

I have made no searches, no comments (other than here). No other mention whatsoever regarding this issue.

This kind of shit is happening much more often than to write it off as conincidence. Pisses me off.

The other day I was watching ChocolateManInaVan. He used to be ChocolateManInThailand.

73924.jpg

Chocolate was looking into ClassB RVs in that video. I immediately got sales ads for various RV dealers in my YT feed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trip said:

The other day I was watching ChocolateManInaVan. He used to be ChocolateManInThailand.

73924.jpg

Chocolate was looking into ClassB RVs in that video. I immediately got sales ads for various RV dealers in my YT feed.

Completely F'd up.    

Note to ADMIN. When time is allowed can the tech people review the security sharing access within this app. If it cannot be managed I fear there may be possible significant decrease in postings.

This sort of thing enrages me, as I am certain that it may also with many other BM's.

I went for a long walk yesterday in the freezing cold and felt nackered when I got home. BUT for the first time in weeks,I went to bed at 11pm and slept right through till 8 this morning and have woken refreshed. Hoping to get some sleep on my flight tonight. 

• Thumbs Up 5

3 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Completely F'd up.    

Note to ADMIN. When time is allowed can the tech people review the security sharing access within this app. If it cannot be managed I fear there may be possible significant decrease in postings.

This sort of thing enrages me, as I am certain that it may also with many other BM's.

What's 'security sharing access?"

3 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Completely F'd up.    

If you're referring to the YT video that @Trip watched and then received ads for RV dealers, that has nothing to do with the forum.

Google/YT is quite adept at noting the subject matter you view, and the length of time you watch, and then sending ads your way that are connected to the subject matter you viewed. That's how they make their money, and how YT channels are monetized.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fellas. Let's not argue over this. I started this topic about insomnia and I would be very disappointed to see it derailed. So let's move on please before I have to clean up.

Thanks for your anticipated cooperation. 

s

Insomnia, yes I have that ocationally as well. It comes in small periodes and last for 10-15 days before it goes away for a few months. 

It seems to be related why lack of physical activity, at least for me.

Being fairly lazy, I am not doing anything about it, just accept it is there some times.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Fellas. Let's not argue over this. I started this topic about insomnia and I would be very disappointed to see it derailed. So let's move on please before I have to clean up.

Thanks for your anticipated cooperation. 

s

zzzzzzzzzzzz.

I'm going to bed early tonight. Hope that helps mate. Sweet dreams.

555555555 !