Does every man like a Whiskey?

Butch

I'm not a big spirits drinker, but my weapon of choice with 2 cubes of clear ice is Glenmorangie Signet:

glenmorangie_signet_126307-2902574328.png

There are some complex whiskies out there, I'm not a purist nor and expert, but it has always been heralded as a mans drink, from "Scotty" on the USS Enterprise to every Hollywood tough guy trope.

Given the choice though, either Bombay Sapphire and tonic or Tanquaray Ragnpur tonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can't stand whisky, ever since a bad experience back around 1975.

It was the office Christmas party of British European Airways at West London Terminals. Back then PC was something you bashed keys on and woke was something you did in the morning. It was a crazy party with girls and guys popping off into different meeting rooms for fun and copious amounts of booze were being imbibed.

I was drinking coke as I was driving, I had my drink next to me while chatting to a lovely lady. Some bastard swapped my drink for full tumbler of whisky: I picked up my drink and took a great swig and almost vomited at the taste.

It took me 2 years to even be near the smell of whisky, I hate the stuff. 

Even went to the Penderyn Whisky distillery, here in Wales with a couple of members about 3 years ago. After the tour we were offered a couple of glasses of whisky, even had a choice of what we preferred. For once I just thought I would try a sip of the sample that had been aged in a port barrel (I love port), but even that was too much, I hated it. One of the guys had both my glasses.

I have tried Blend 285 with loads of coke, I can just about drink that, but I doubt that drink comes close to what a real whisky tastes like. 

Edited by Horizondave
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Sad 3

Call me what ever you want, but I had no idea about "Sangsom" until I came to Thailand. For some reason though, on boys night out, if I decide to drink hard liquor, that with Coke is my go to choice...still to this day, really like the feeling I get after a few. 

Ever tried asking any bartender or waitress here " Do you have Crown Royal"?  Chok Dee..

• Thumbs Up 2

32 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

Call me what ever you want, but I had no idea about "Sangsom" until I came to Thailand. For some reason though, on boys night out, if I decide to drink hard liquor, that with Coke is my go to choice...still to this day, really like the feeling I get after a few. 

Ever tried asking any bartender or waitress here " Do you have Crown Royal"?  Chok Dee..

My choice of spirit too Mike, just love a few Sangsom cokes at night sat out on my patio listening/watching to Youtube Premium along with a couple of spliffs lol.

I've never been a whisky drinker but have a few mates who love to partake.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

- My favourite is Laphraoig, preferably the sampler pack of 3 x different aged versions in 375ml bottles.

- JW Red label with soda and splash of coke is OK if that is the only drink on the table.

- A drink that surprised me was one recommended by a bar girl in Naklua.. Regency with Schweppes Manao. Reminiscent of Cypriot Brandy Sours in the 70s!! 

- Now I drink Sangsom shots washed down with Leo.

- I'll mention Seesip Degree Lao Khao which I was addicted to in '97 as was Cat Crumpet!!!. Preferably out of a shared dirty glass sitting out in a ricefield. Loved it at the time .Detest it now!!

- In my 2 years working in PRC I drank their Lao Khao which was like drinking 40 %ABV Perfume. Effing disgusting ... until I tried the red version, served hot from a tin kettle. Tasted like Scandinavian Glogg/German Glühwein. Excellent when working in Harbin in the Winter !!

:default_drinks:

• Like 2

I've always found it a very depressing drink straight, or even on the rocks. I quite enjoy the Blend 285 Black here in Thailand though, served up in a tall glass with lots of ice and soda water so you only get a gentle whiskey flavour in the background. That's a happy drink to me.

My spirit of choice nowadays is Cognac, and nothing lower than VSOP. This is the latest addition to my collection, Camus XO Prestige:

CAMUS_XO_BOTTLE.jpg?w=400

I only drink one small measure of Cognac a day as a digestif after my evening meal. Since that one works out at over 500 Baht per measure, that's all I can afford!!! lol

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, galenkia said:

Tried to avoid whiskey as much as possible as it made me very aggressive for some reason.

I am bad enough anyway lol.

Whiskeys are funny that way - back in the day I used to drink some good scotches and found that they were almost like liquid tranquilizer, I really felt laid back and relaxed when I drank them and so did most of the other people I knew that indulged. Rye whiskeys, on the other hand, seem to make people go nuts when they drink too much, me included - cheap ryes were the drink of choice with our indigenous peoples when they could afford them and some are real rotguts, but I find that even the smell of the better brands like Canadian Club or Crown Royal turns me off now. If I am going to drink whiskey I'll have a Jamiesons instead, I don't mind Irish whiskey.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sangsom is a Rum rather than a Whisky.

Irish Whiskey I like Redbreast to drink neat or Jamesons in an Irish Coffee 

Scottish Whisky I prefer the highland ones to the Islay which I find too peaty... 

Japanese I love an 18 year old Yamazaki , but the price had gone mental over the last ten years or so 

I did used to drink Rye ( Canadian Club ) and Dry ( ginger ale ) many years ago 

these days I try and stick to vodka  ...

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I am a lover of neat spirits and often drink a double shot with one ice cube to smooth off the taste when it melts a touch.

Generally not a big fan of whisky, but am quite partial to Jamasans Irish Whiskey and a decent malt, if it is not too peaty.

I love a good rum and Thailand provides me with that fix in the shape of Sangsom, which is amazingly cheap for a decent tasting rum!

• Thumbs Up 5

I like a good whisk(e)y, but normally I will limit it to one or sometimes two measures. Unless it is cask strength, I prefer to drink it neat. Cask strength I usually dilute with a bit of spring water. And for mixes I use cheaper blendeds that don't taste too great when drinking pure.

The first time I was in a bar in Thailand (with somebody more experienced, whom I had met the night before in my hotel), I ordered a coke and discovered there was something more in it (Mekong). That soon became an acquired taste. Unfortunately, production of that rotgut has been discontinued. The last time I saw a bottle of it was a couple of minutes ago while taking this photo:

IMG20240428134015.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, galenkia said:

Tried to avoid whiskey as much as possible as it made me very aggressive for some reason.

I am bad enough anyway lol.

I worked with a guy who couldn't drink the stuff, turned him very quickly and all he wanted to do was fight everyone.

Was never that way on anything else!

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

I like a good whisk(e)y, but normally I will limit it to one or sometimes two measures. Unless it is cask strength, I prefer to drink it neat. Cask strength I usually dilute with a bit of spring water. And for mixes I use cheaper blendeds that don't taste too great when drinking pure.

The first time I was in a bar in Thailand (with somebody more experienced, whom I had met the night before in my hotel), I ordered a coke and discovered there was something more in it (Mekong). That soon became an acquired taste. Unfortunately, production of that rotgut has been discontinued. The last time I saw a bottle of it was a couple of minutes ago while taking this photo:

IMG20240428134015.jpg

I think they relaunched a few years ago , but as a premium brand ...

On and off I have lived in Scotland for some 21 years and for the life of me cannot tell one whisky from another. I occasionally drink it neat but being a Sassenach I proved that by much preferring it with lemonade! 🤣

I used to be a regular visitor to the Cheltenham Races and thoroughly enjoyed hot toddies in the Jameson tent. In fact there was a time when work took me quite regularly to Northern Ireland  and found that I much preferred the taste of Irish whisky.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I worked with a guy who couldn't drink the stuff, turned him very quickly and all he wanted to do was fight everyone.

Was never that way on anything else!

I don’t know why it affects me that way, but it’s the only spirit that does that to me.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

My choice of spirit too Mike, just love a few Sangsom cokes at night sat out on my patio listening/watching to Youtube Premium along with a couple of spliffs lol.

I've never been a whisky drinker but have a few mates who love to partake.

I stand to be corrected but isn't Sangsom made from sugar cane and is therefore rum not whiskey.

Either way, it tastes like piss!

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

I stand to be corrected but isn't Sangsom made from sugar cane and is therefore rum not whiskey.

Either way, it tastes like piss!

Correct Sir, it's rum, tells you that on the label.

I cannot agree with your second point, i find it quite pleasant, but i do not like whisky at all.

20240428_201332.jpg

Edited by SteveBC
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, SteveBC said:

Correct Sir, it's rum, tells you that on the label.

I cannot agree with your second point, i find it quite pleasant, but i do not like whisky at all.

20240428_201332.jpg

I drink much better rum when I am at home or staying in a condo, but I do like Sangsom when I am out and about because you can get it everywhere and it is cheap; I find it's easier on my body than drinking beer all night. 

• Thumbs Up 5

15 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

I drink much better rum when I am at home or staying in a condo, but I do like Sangsom when I am out and about because you can get it everywhere and it is cheap; I find it's easier on my body than drinking beer all night. 

Since I was introduced to Morgan Spiced I would rather pay more and drink somewhat less.

I used to drink Bacardi/coke as my spirit of choice but that now tastes so bland.

A week on Friday I will be drinking Morgan Spiced in Morgan's Tavern! Hopefully I will not go down with Covid after 4 days like last time. 🤣

17 hours ago, galenkia said:

Back in my drinking days I’d have drunk paint stripper and diesel.

Same here brother. Oh, I am still in my drinking days to some extent. In my case, I found that after I stopped the drugs, I was able to resume drinking a little. Not for everyone for sure and some would say that I am a damn fool and they are likely right.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My whiskey of choice is Tequila. Love that salt, tequila, citrus fruit combo. Back in the US my weapon of choice was Monte Alban Mezcal from Oxaca. Yes this is the one with the worm in the bottle made famous in "Urban Cowboy". I have been unable to find it in Bang Lamung. If someone spots it, please let me know.

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/mezcal/monte-alban-mezcal/p/662750