Pattaya Go-go bars, beer bars & restaurants (News closures and Updates)

john luke

18 hours ago, boydeste said:

Thank you for admitting your previous post was a figment of your imagination.

As for this post, it sounds like you are not a fan of @misteregg for what ever reason.

However you are entitled to your opinion.

I personally wish him well in what ever he decides to do and think he has been very successful in running Le Pub and opening and flipping Milk.

Cheers on this one mate.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Butch said:

It's also nice to see a bar changing hands rather than being closed down for whatever reason. We've had enough of that happening over the last few years.

I can only base this comment based on watching U-Tube videos but it seems to me that there are new bars here there and everywhere in Pattaya. What there is not is anywhere near enough potential customers to make the majority of them viable.

Prior to Covid there were already far too many bars all chasing a diminished number of potential customers. If it was bad then, and it was, surely it is far worse now?

Or am I watching the wrong U-Tubers?

• Like 4
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Jambo said:

I can only base this comment based on watching U-Tube videos but it seems to me that there are new bars here there and everywhere in Pattaya. What there is not is anywhere near enough potential customers to make the majority of them viable.

Prior to Covid there were already far too many bars all chasing a diminished number of potential customers. If it was bad then, and it was, surely it is far worse now?

Also just because a guy is sitting in a bar that does not mean he is showering the bar with money....

Take a baht bus down Soi Bukow in the late afternoon.......Simply loads of older guys sitting alone in a beer bar nursing a Chang or Leo beer....

I am talking about every bar on the street, every day of the year...

The bars are 15-20-30 baht richer after some of these guys finish their one beer....

Edited by fforest
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

59 minutes ago, fforest said:

Also just because a guy is sitting in a bar that does not mean he is showering the bar with money....

Take a baht bus down Soi Bukow in the late afternoon.......Simply loads of older guys sitting alone in a beer bar nursing a Chang or Leo beer....

I am talking about every bar on the street, every day of the year...

The bars are 15-20-30 baht richer after some of these guys finish their one beer....

:default_crazy:

• Haha 1

On 11/2/2023 at 4:44 PM, Jambo said:

I read somewhere here that bars seem to be either rammed with customers, or empty. @fforest is correct, even on my last trip in April some bars were simply devoid of customers, despite being in areas of high footfall. It was possible to walk along and through Treetown and see some bars empty of guys.

As you say, even in the "high season" too many bars chasing too few customers, and of those few customers, even fewer are going to be (1k bar bill upwards) relatively high spenders or LD buyers. I think one bar was offering 39 baht draft beers, can't recall the name but it was busy, but surely that's not much of a profit on your average draft glass. Ideal to get the punters in, but probably the wrong kind of punters if they want to drink a 39 baht draft via osmosis while touching up the girls and having no intention of buying an LD.

Oddly I've noticed groups of Thais in some bars as well (usually with Bands), and in Thai fashion, they'll buy a bottle and mixers, sit around and enjoy themselves. I noticed this especially in Basilisk Bar where at one point, Thai customers outnumbered farangs.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Butch said:

I read somewhere here that bars seem to be either rammed with customers, or empty. @fforest is correct, even on my last trip in April some bars were simply devoid of customers, despite being in areas of high footfall. It was possible to walk along and through Treetown and see some bars empty of guys.

As you say, even in the "high season" too many bars chasing too few customers, and of those few customers, even fewer are going to be (1k bar bill upwards) relatively high spenders or LD buyers. I think one bar was offering 39 baht draft beers, can't recall the name but it was busy, but surely that's not much of a profit on your average draft glass. Ideal to get the punters in, but probably the wrong kind of punters if they want to drink a 39 baht draft via osmosis while touching up the girls and having no intention of buying an LD.

Oddly I've noticed groups of Thais in some bars as well (usually with Bands), and in Thai fashion, they'll buy a bottle and mixers, sit around and enjoy themselves. I noticed this especially in Basilisk Bar where at one point, Thai customers outnumbered farangs.

As my good friend and legend recently stated.... it's the girils. They rule all, can't get around that reality.

• Like 1

A new place to eat and drink across from Nirun was testing their lighting last night. Looked pretty good. They have rolls of fake grass yet to be laid out on the bare ground. It's a good location with plenty of parking adjacent, so expect they'll do good business when they open.

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

A new place to eat and drink across from was testing their lighting last night. Looked pretty good. They have rolls of fake grass yet to be laid out on the bare ground. It's a good location with plenty of parking adjacent, so expect they'll do good business when they open.

image.jpeg

Well if they are near Nirun they had better keep prices on the low low end

• Like 1

4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

A new place to eat and drink across from Nirun was testing their lighting last night. Looked pretty good. They have rolls of fake grass yet to be laid out on the bare ground. It's a good location with plenty of parking adjacent, so expect they'll do good business when they open.

image.jpeg

Thank you mate .... Should I start to worry about the noise if I move "you know where"...???

2 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Hopefully @Yesitisdakid will be able to report on early morning noise levels ... 

My condo looks over that restaurant site exactly opposite I didn't hear any noise when they were building it I would be surprised if they put in big speakers and play loud music based on the fact they've got so many neighbors right nearby their restaurant. I guess time will tell I think you would be safe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Prommanee House, a favorite drinking spot for self-service cold beer and 40B Sang Som sodas is no more. Many an expat used to gather there for sundowner drinks and to watch the eye candy walk by.

Isn't/ wasn't there a hotel etc there as well ? ST hotel ??

So any indication of whats planned ? Or is it road kill from slow season??

16 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Prommanee House, a favorite drinking spot for self-service cold beer and 40B Sang Som sodas is no more. Many an expat used to gather there for sundowner drinks and to watch the eye candy walk by.

image.jpeg

It makes me so bloody angry to see this !!!

It went from just grabbing a beer from the fridge and sitting outside, then they put flowers and hanging ornaments up, then it started to get busy so they added a little coffee stall. Despite the prices being the cheapest in Pattaya, I bet they were making money purely because it was a previously unused space and the only staff was the receptionist! 

Then that was it! Some Thai "businessman" saw all these farang there at all times of day and night and thought to himself "I know I'll f**k it up by making the whole thing a coffee shop..."

Things just went down hill from then on.

Sorry to see it go !

• Sad 2

26 minutes ago, Zeb said:

Isn't/ wasn't there a hotel etc there as well ? ST hotel ??

So any indication of whats planned ? Or is it road kill from slow season??

25 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

It makes me so bloody angry to see this !!!

It went from just grabbing a beer from the fridge and sitting outside, then they put flowers and hanging ornaments up, then it started to get busy so they added a little coffee stall. Despite the prices being the cheapest in Pattaya, I bet they were making money purely because it was a previously unused space and the only staff was the receptionist! 

Then that was it! Some Thai "businessman" saw all these farang there at all times of day and night and thought to himself "I know I'll f**k it up by making the whole thing a coffee shop..."

Things just went down hill from then on.

Sorry to see it go !

More of guesthouse than a hotel. IIRC, shortest period you could rent a room was for the night, so not a ST place.

Not sure what finally did them in. Could have been the loud music emanating from Tree Town that caused bookings to drop, they got an offer for the place that was too good to pass up, tired of running a business in Pattaya, or a combination of all of the above.

Over the years they transitioned from the ground floor space being a self-service drinking place shared with a massage shop, to the closure of the massage shop and expansion into that space that also included coffee as another drinking option. That worked well as there was more space for customers to drink the drink of their choice.

Where they lost the expat drinking crowd was when they leased out the larger space to a group that put up a wall and made the space into Industry Food and Drink. Not sure what demographic they hoped to capture as a customer base, whatever it was must have been quite small as I never saw more than one or two customers in there. So no surprise when they failed after less than a year in business.

The reality is that with the increasing rents in the area, businesses can not survive on the expat drinking crowd. Thankfully there are still a few places where we can still grab a beer and watch the world go by.

Edited to add: The picture was from this morning and could see some type of refurbishment work going on. No sign or indication yet as to how the space will be used. Best guess, drum roll, another bar.

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Thankfully there are still a few places where we can still grab a beer and watch the world go by.

I have used Katesiree for the past 3 mornings .. getting in there at about 11am.

I really don't understand why there is so much vehement opposition on here about old men having a cheap beer... It pops up in so many posts on so many threads .. even in the TAT advertisement thread FFS !!

During those early doors I have never seen less than 10 people drinking whilst everywhere else is empty -  apart from one other bar - guess where ??. The last 2 nights when I popped out for a walk there were no seats available in there !!!

As for not making money, what a load of bollocks! One cashier and one server keeps things ticking over and certainly during the day about half are drinking coffee or soda water ...!!

Yesterday I was euphoric enough after visiting the dentist to buy the 2 staff and the room cleaner a street vendor coffee each. 75 Baht !!! What sort of response would a bar girl give to the offer of 25 Baht LD?? These 3 were so fucking happy !!!

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

14 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I have used Katesiree for the past 3 mornings .. getting in there at about  having a cheap beer... 

Yesterday I was euphoric enough after visiting the dentist to buy the 2 staff and the room cleaner a street vendor coffee each. 75 Baht !!! What sort of response would a bar girl give to the offer of 25 Baht LD?? These 3 were so fucking happy !!!

Did a similar thing I tipped the baht bus driver a extra 10 bt coming back from the dentist ( the one you suggested) I must be in 2 week millionaire mode 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2