What's your baht worth? Exchange rates on the street...

Painter

I wish there was a way of getting the current rate for cash whilst still in UK. I don't have a Thai bank account. Sods law is that by the time I come out in September it will be back down to 40 ish. The long term forecasts suggest that it will remain around 44 or 45 but I don't take much notice of those, because things can change very quickly according to financial situation here and abroad including interest rates. 

Let's hope it stays as it is for a while or better. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

I wish there was a way of getting the current rate for cash whilst still in UK. I don't have a Thai bank account. Sods law is that by the time I come out in September it will be back down to 40 ish. The long term forecasts suggest that it will remain around 44 or 45 but I don't take much notice of those, because things can change very quickly according to financial situation here and abroad including interest rates. 

Get yourself a Revolut card , you can top it up from your debit card at similar rates to Wise ... use it to pay for hotels , travel , meals etc ...even some bars take cards these days ...

or if you want cash 

https://www.compareholidaymoney.com/travel-money/thai-baht?gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzdOlBhCNARIsAPMwjbw4_6OndcF3GThpU5bsNvwNnaBliVyHZ5Qs1ShZUBCz6E7mgYw2UEUaAgovEALw_wcB

rates not as favourable, but 44.25 not too bad ..

Edited by Stillearly
  • Great Info 4

32 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Get yourself a Revolut card , you can top it up from your debit card at similar rates to Wise ... use it to pay for hotels , travel , meals etc ...even some bars take cards these days ...

Maybe I am more conservative than you but Revolut is one I'd avoid on gut instinct.

Cypto trading is a red flag for me that I'd never put money into a platform that offered it. Then there's the general lack of any regulation around the products they offer.

After seeing FTX go down, I wonder how many other of these are out there? Rising interest rates make me generally more cautious expecting to see more corporate failures as firms who've been betting with borrowed money go to the wall. But add in the cryto part and I get nervous!!!

42 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

or if you want cash 

https://www.compareholidaymoney.com/travel-money/thai-baht?gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzdOlBhCNARIsAPMwjbw4_6OndcF3GThpU5bsNvwNnaBliVyHZ5Qs1ShZUBCz6E7mgYw2UEUaAgovEALw_wcB

rates not as favourable, but 44.25 not too bad ..

Thanks for the info. Looking at the link that you provided, if it were to get to 45 from 44.25 I will be tempted to at least convert 1k sterling into physical baht. 

2 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Maybe I am more conservative than you but Revolut is one I'd avoid on gut instinct.

Cypto trading is a red flag for me that I'd never put money into a platform that offered it. Then there's the general lack of any regulation around the products they offer.

After seeing FTX go down, I wonder how many other of these are out there? Rising interest rates make me generally more cautious expecting to see more corporate failures as firms who've been betting with borrowed money go to the wall. But add in the cryto part and I get nervous!!!

Yea, read something the other day they're getting 'investigated'.

@Nightcrawler why don't you pay an 'Agent' to open a Thai Bank A/C for you when next in Thailand. Then you send my Wise, literally seconds. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Krapow said:

Yea, read something the other day they're getting 'investigated'.

@Nightcrawler why don't you pay an 'Agent' to open a Thai Bank A/C for you when next in Thailand. Then you send my Wise, literally seconds. 

Yes,good idea, I may well do that. Not having a permanent address there has always put me off of opening an account. 

Who would I go to, to open an account? Never thought of doing that in the past. Could I also physically deposit sterling in an account also, when I am there?

51 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Yes,good idea, I may well do that. Not having a permanent address there has always put me off of opening an account. 

Who would I go to, to open an account? Never thought of doing that in the past. Could I also physically deposit sterling in an account also, when I am there?

I used these guys for mine 

https://tiktokservicesthailand.com

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

If you just want to monitor the current rate on the street, TT post their rates at start-of-business here

https://ttexchange.com/

They don't update it through the day, so you wouldn't catch minor fluctuations, but it might be enough for those of us outside  the country.

On 7/6/2023 at 12:11 PM, Krapow said:

Read about the Thais going to drop interest rates this month, so hopefully stays above 44 anyway.

Then again, i'll be there in 2 weeks, imminent crash to 39 coming, and it was going so well ...

smile-coach.gif

Called it!

I arrive the mora, it'll get worse, nothing surer :lol:

• Haha 1

Looks like the decrease in inflation to 7.9% with comment that the BOE may not have to in crease interest rates again or maybe only by a smaller amount than expected have depressed the currency. 

Then again, I think many of us would have been happy with 44 some months ago. 

• Thumbs Up 2