What's your baht worth? Exchange rates on the street...

Painter

2 minutes ago, boydeste said:

^^^^^^^^^^^

We should be back at 50 to the pound if they stop bolstering it up!

Think that depends on what our chancellor does with the UK budget as well ... ⬆️⬇️

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Think that depends on what our chancellor does with the UK budget as well ... ⬆️⬇️

I don’t think he’ll do much, he’s not got much money to play with. He’ll probably just tinker around the edges a bit and tell the country what an amazing budget it is for everyone, including me. 🤣

Still, I’ve got a big raise in my State Pension coming up soon. 😉

• Like 3

The pound has been hovering between 44 and 45 for months now, so I hope it won't head south any time soon.  Of course it would be nice to see it move higher, especially as the UK economy grew 0.2 percent in January.

44.71 is excellent for transfer, which I will be hoping stays when I send some money tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

The pound has been hovering between 44 and 45 for months now, so I hope it won't head south any time soon.  Of course it would be nice to see it move higher, especially as the UK economy grew 0.2 percent in January.

44.71 is excellent for transfer, which I will be hoping stays when I send some money tomorrow.

45.71 .... don't wish it down 😜

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

45.71 .... don't wish it down 😜

Apologies, of course you are right, I meant to say 'between 44 and 46' in my post and then to add 45.71, probably because the rate has been above 44 for quite some time I got sidetracked.

Would be nice if it moves above 46....

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Would be nice if it moves above 46....

Italian Thai Construction company is in financial difficulty so you never know perhaps we will be looking at 47 and upwards.

I was going to mention this last week but didn't think it was too significant .....  M'Lady's 40 year old son had an enforced pay cut last week as did his colleagues and his friends working for a different company.

This is EXACTLY what happened when I was working in Bangkok in '97 leading up to the crash.... Major construction companies defaulting to their contractors, and employees in totally unrelated businesses taking enforced pay cuts.

Good for the exchange rate and good for tourism ?????

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

16 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

This is EXACTLY what happened when I was working in Bangkok in '97 leading up to the crash

Yep, and the GF seems to have even greater debt woes than usual and, being the sensitive, supportive type that I am, I told her to fix it herself, I'm not bailing her out again. The gardener wanted to borrow 40K Baht off me a few months ago as her new office supplies business needed capital. I said no. Then a week ago she was trying to borrow money from me to get her phone fixed, and again I said no. So she's got two businesses at least that I know of, yet she can't afford to get her phone repaired? Of course, in a country of 70 million, a couple of anecdotal tales like that mean nothing, but they didn't used to be as disorganised and insolvent. My guess is they're listening to complete crap advice on social media and losing their money that way. Which on its own is irrelevant, but scale it up by the millions of people who might be in similar situations and the banks and country could have a serious problem.

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 2