What's your baht worth? Exchange rates on the street...

Painter

GBP is at 43.6 on TW at the moment. It'll be interesting to see if the CPI figure for January released tomorrow will make any difference. Everything I've read says that it will be even higher than the last one, so making further base rate rises even more likely. But who knows, when they increased the rate last month the stupid pound actually fell against the THB.

Has anybody used Wise/aka Transferwise recently? I was going to transfer the usual £1,000 over but when it got to the point where you choose online payment, that's changed and when you select 'Via the Bank Website' it somehow takes you straight into your account on the bank's website. Well, that's what happened with me, how do they do that? To log in I have to enter half a dozen details known only to myself and the bank, yet TW seemed to bypass them all. I logged out quickly, Wise seems too much like a phishing site now, that's the last time I'll be using it.

3 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

Has anybody used Wise/aka Transferwise recently? I was going to transfer the usual £1,000 over but when it got to the point where you choose online payment, that's changed and when you select 'Via the Bank Website' it somehow takes you straight into your account on the bank's website. Well, that's what happened with me, how do they do that? To log in I have to enter half a dozen details known only to myself and the bank, yet TW seemed to bypass them all. I logged out quickly, Wise seems too much like a phishing site now, that's the last time I'll be using it.

I've seen the option but always had the option to manually transfer (or words to that effect) which allowed me to use my usual method where I log in to the bank myself and transfer the money.  I didn't fancy Wise getting into that loop.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

14 hours ago, KWA said:

I've seen the option but always had the option to manually transfer (or words to that effect) which allowed me to use my usual method where I log in to the bank myself and transfer the money.  I didn't fancy Wise getting into that loop.

Thats exactly what i've been doing.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, KWA said:

That option had been removed, I had to choose between the Barclays app or their online banking website. TW didn't give me a payment reference or anything else, just somehow took me into my accounts and told me that I'd have to use the PIN code sentry to authorise the payment. Like yourself, I was happy when I was between TW and my bank account, but I'm not comfortable with this at all. If anyone else gets something similar can you please let us know?

28 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

That option had been removed, I had to choose between the Barclays app or their online banking website. TW didn't give me a payment reference or anything else, just somehow took me into my accounts and told me that I'd have to use the PIN code sentry to authorise the payment. Like yourself, I was happy when I was between TW and my bank account, but I'm not comfortable with this at all. If anyone else gets something similar can you please let us know?

Really? That must be a very recent thing because I always choose to manually transfer from my bank account too. Doesn't seem long since I last did one.

4 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

I'll be doing a transfer in the next few days so I'll keep an eye out.

• Thumbs Up 1

I use transfer wise a lot and I use the fast transfer option which adds a few pence on to the transaction but does not require me to visit my bank and the hassle that brings. The normal manual transfer does require me to go into my bank (but it is my app that I am entering) but have avoided that on nearly all occasions..

On 2/20/2022 at 9:17 AM, Toy Boy said:

On 2/20/2022 at 1:26 PM, KWA said:

I'll be doing a transfer in the next few days so I'll keep an eye out.

Just transferred money this morning and after selecting my bank (TSB) I got this screen and opted to pay manually instead which involved my usual procedure.

image.png

• Like 1