What's your baht worth? Exchange rates on the street...

Painter

On 2/22/2022 at 1:22 PM, KWA said:

Just transferred money this morning and after selecting my bank (TSB) I got this screen and opted to pay manually instead which involved my usual procedure.

image.png

That's what I've always had in the past I think, select pay manually then go to your bank website, transfer the money, go back to TW and tell it you've made the transfer, though sometimes the money will already have arrived by then. This time the options I got with Barclays were to pay via the app or pay via their website. I chose the website, which should have been the same as paying manually, and that was when I found that they opened up a page with all my account details on it.

I gave TW another try this afternoon as @KWA hadn't noticed anything untoward. It seems that they've added some bells and whistles to the options to pay via Barclays, and possibly some other UK banks too.

As you can see, once they know I want to pay via Barclays the options have changed from what you used to get, and what @KWA got above for TSB.

Wise2.jpg

I chose the Barclays website option, which I equate with paying manually, and as you can see you get even more options now:

Wise1.jpg

You now have the option of them taking you into the Barclays website so that you can authorise the payment, which I don't like the idea of one little bit, in spite of their promises that they can't possibly know your login details. Last time I pressed 'Continue to pay', but this time I chose ' Pay manually instead' and that gave me the original way of paying without TW looking over my shoulder.

So just be aware if you're paying for a Wise transfer from Barclays that the system has changed and you need to be very careful what you select.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

I gave TW another try this afternoon as @KWA hadn't noticed anything untoward. It seems that they've added some bells and whistles to the options to pay via Barclays, and possibly some other UK banks too.

As you can see, once they know I want to pay via Barclays the options have changed from what you used to get, and what @KWA got above for TSB.

Wise2.jpg

I chose the Barclays website option, which I equate with paying manually, and as you can see you get even more options now:

Wise1.jpg

You now have the option of them taking you into the Barclays website so that you can authorise the payment, which I don't like the idea of one little bit, in spite of their promises that they can't possibly know your login details. Last time I pressed 'Continue to pay', but this time I chose ' Pay manually instead' and that gave me the original way of paying without TW looking over my shoulder.

So just be aware if you're paying for a Wise transfer from Barclays that the system has changed and you need to be very careful what you select.

I got exactly the same with my bank last week.

Got it sorted quite quickly with long distance phone call. Many banks are doing this now including Thai ones ... pain at first but once you get the hang of it .... fine. Good to highlight ...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nampla69 said:

I got exactly the same with my bank last week.

Got it sorted quite quickly with long distance phone call. Many banks are doing this now including Thai ones ... pain at first but once you get the hang of it .... fine. Good to highlight ...

I can see that some people might like it, but I really don't want that option, the old system worked fine for me and I knew TW couldn't be collecting my banking details. For all their talk about end-to-end encryption keeping you safe, I feel much safer with a physical barrier between us.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Butch said:

The sanctions are also gonna hurt those Russians who purchased Condo's back in the day and still need to pay some off...

.... and the owners of the other condos in the development as the Ruskies won't be paying the service charges. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 5:11 PM, Toy Boy said:

Wise2.jpg

Wise1.jpg

I used wise on Friday and payed manually from Barclays.  Nothing has changed from what I have done for the past few years. I use my laptop. 

My mate did a transfer today on his phone app and used the manual option for Santander. So it seems to be as it always has been for us both so far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Horizondave said:

Just wondering if anybody knows any Russians personally and is aware of how the fall in value of the Rouble is really affecting them. At 0.00 to the Rouble I hope they travel with other currencies or have funds already in Thailand.

One Russian was seen (not by me, but a mate) getting physical with an ATM outside a local 7-11 on Tuesday, as the machine would not give him any cash on his (believed) credit card. A local vendor called the police, and the russian was carted off...

I'm sure he,  unfortunately, won't be alone.

• Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, Painter said:

One Russian was seen (not by me, but a mate) getting physical with an ATM outside a local 7-11 on Tuesday, as the machine would not give him any cash on his (believed) credit card. A local vendor called the police, and the russian was carted off...

I'm sure he,  unfortunately, won't be alone.

He should have gone to SPECSAVERS Kasikorn.

It's an absolutely horrible situation to be in, with no way of getting hold of any money you've lost all control of your situation, and that of your family if they're with you. It makes the case for wearing some expensive jewellery, or a gold Rolex or whatever, something that you can exchange for local money if the shite hits the fan. Of course, this being Thailand, the locals would probably have stolen it from you long before you had a chance to exchange it, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1