F1

Stillearly

18 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Fantastic race today and all down to the last couple of laps. Best race of the season IMO. Well done Max, now leading the driver championship

Gonna be tight between Red Bull and Mercedes from now on

Just watched it.

Ditto from me.

I usually watch this the F1 on Fox Sport HD ( via my TMN provider ? ) on a Samsung smart TV ( channel 525 ).

I was able to watch the qualifying on Saturday evening, but yesterday, channel 525 was dead. I have 2 other older TV's in the house, but they have far fewer channels available to them than the newer one does.

1) How does the newer TV access more channels than the older ones ?

2) What are the other options available to me to watch the FI races ?

3) Why was channel 525 ( Fox Sports HD ) not available yesterday afternoon / evening ?

I'm sure there are guys out there with much more knowledge of these issues than I have.

T.I.A.

Proffesor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bollocks😡

I was looking forward to 6.30 on Channel 4 to watch the Belgian GP highlights only to find out that it was cancelled due to heavy rain.  So top 3 qualifiers awarded Podium. 

Verstappen 1st

Russell 2nd

Hamilton 3rd

Half points awarded. Verstappen now trailing Hamilton by 3 points in Championship. 

That said, it would have been carnage if it went ahead in those conditions

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Bollocks😡

I was looking forward to 6.30 on Channel 4 to watch the Belgian GP highlights only to find out that it was cancelled due to heavy rain.  So top 3 qualifiers awarded Podium. 

Verstappen 1st

Russell 2nd

Hamilton 3rd

Half points awarded. Verstappen now trailing Hamilton by 3 points in Championship. 

Yeah, I thought it would have been a cracker in dodgy conditions. 

3 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Bollocks😡

Verstappen 1st

Russell 2nd

Hamilton 3rd

I recorded it and did exactly the same.

Better than us loosing another driver due to stupid race conditions methinks.

Nice to see Russell on the podium too.

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

Daft to award points for a race that didn't happen imho 

All about the money! 

Apparently if they do a min of 2 laps, that qualifies as a race and it also means that the FIA get their $15,000,000 dollars from the circuit race organisers!!

• Surprised 1

28 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

All about the money! 

Apparently if they do a min of 2 laps, that qualifies as a race and it also means that the FIA get their $15,000,000 dollars from the circuit race organisers!!

And no need to refund the punters.

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/58385653

Formula 1 is to make rule changes to prevent a recurrence of the events surrounding the controversial abandonment of the Belgian Grand Prix.

Red Bull's Max Verstappen was declared the winner of a race that lasted two laps behind the safety car.

Heavy rain had prevented any competitive racing at the Spa-Francorchamps track.

Lewis Hamilton called the event a "farce", saying drivers were sent out solely to secure an official result.

Bosses accept the situation needs to be addressed and teams will meet for talks with governing body the FIA and F1.

A number of other leading drivers have criticised events surrounding the race.

And on Monday, Alfa Romeo said the event should have been abandoned without trying to make the result of the race official.

"The decision not to race in the conditions was the right one, in the interests of protecting the safety of the drivers, the marshals and the spectators themselves.," Alfa Romeo said,

"However, the situation would have been dealt with a lot more appropriately by not having at all the 'race' we witnessed.

"This outcome hurts us all, but in particular it hurts the fans of the sport, who didn't get the show they came to see. 

"We hope lessons were learnt, lessons that will improve the way we operate in the future and that put the supporters of our sport in the position they deserve to be."

The event dragged on for three and a half hours as the FIA sought to find a window in which a race could be run in the heavy rain, but poor visibility meant conditions were deemed too dangerous to let the cars loose.

F1's rules dictate two racing laps is the minimum for points to be awarded. These were completed behind the safety car at 18.17 local time.

F1 is understood to be in discussions with the promoter of the race to evaluate what can be done for the fans who stood for hours in the rain and did not see a grand prix.

McLaren Racing chief executive officer Zak Brown has called for a change of the rules that govern this type of situation.

The FIA rejected the claim that the final two laps were a cynical move to make the event official.

Race director Michael Masi said officials thought there could be a weather window in which some racing could take place, and the cars were sent out to assess conditions.

F1 chief executive Stefano Domenicali also denied claims commercial factors were involved in sending the cars out for the final time.

A number of drivers, including multiple world champions Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso, said it was wrong to award points when there had been no actual competition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

32 minutes ago, bob lt said:

I think a window of opportunity was long gone by 18.00.  The FIA apparently get fees from the circuit organisers, the circuit gets the gate fees.

The fans get soaked literally and figuratively.

Was reading earlier that there was 75,000 fan's attending, and paying between £107 and £505 per ticket. 

That's one hell of a income. 

• Great Info 1
  • Surprised 3

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

Was reading earlier that there was 75,000 fan's attending, and paying between £107 and £505 per ticket. 

That's one hell of a income. 

As Hamilton said in a post race interview, it's, all about the money. 

A reoccurance of Sunday's fiasco is now unlikely to repeat itself in future should extreme weather conditions prevent a race from going ahead. 

Although no one could have predicted the weather, I do feel that ticket holding fans should be Compensated, unless of course there were a clause in the condition of sale for tickets 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

As Hamilton said in a post race interview, it's, all about the money. 

A reoccurance of Sunday's fiasco is now unlikely to repeat itself in future should extreme weather conditions prevent a race from going ahead. 

Although no one could have predicted the weather, I do feel that ticket holding fans should be Compensated, unless of course there were a clause in the condition of sale for tickets 

I'm fairly sure that there is no compensation once a race is deemed to have taken place. There may have been support races but no-one pays that sort of money to watch support classes.

I have a feeling there was a similar situation with bike racing either at Silverstone or Donington some time ago.

• Like 3