What are you drinking?

DumbDucker

5 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I remember drinking that a lot , in the late 90's , the whole top used to come off the can , so it was more like drinking out of a glass .. 

Had heard of the company Sapparo but had never seen the beer. Would certainly have remembered the fancy can.

Late 90's I was living in Hull, ordering something that fancy would have been suicidal😛

• Haha 2

Forgot to take a picture of the poured beer, but I have just drank out of this lovely Samuel Smith's bottle. Every year they produce a Christmas beer, this year it celebrates the centenary of the building of the Flying Scotsman.

Supposedly, the labels are collectible. I certainly enjoyed the 6% beer.

IMG20231226204452.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Forgot to take a picture of the poured beer, but I have just drank out of this lovely Samuel Smith's bottle. Every year they produce a Christmas beer, this year it celebrates the centenary of the building of the Flying Scotsman.

Supposedly, the labels are collectible. I certainly enjoyed the 6% beer.

IMG20231226204452.jpg

I loved this stuff on my weekends away in York. Not so fond memories of sliding on my arse on the ice at the bottom of the "Michelgate Run" though !!

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Generally I prefer anything from H&W to be draught because the tastes don't really transfer well to the bottle. What did you think of it ???

It hit the spot after a couple of Smoked bacon sarnies but is not a memorable drink I would buy again.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's been a lot of fuss lately about Thai craft beer, and the possibility that the law may be changed to allow the small but successful brewers to expand. I'm not sure where that idea ended up, but anything that improves the quality of the mass-produced dishwater sold as beer here would be welcome. Boon Rawd and Thai Bev are both guilty of having produced a lot of what they no doubt consider to be craft beers in recent years, but these are all chemically-inspired crap IMHO, with the possible exception of Tapper. Then there's the Red Bull craft beers, or at least that's what some people call them, but I haven't seen them in the shops here yet, or maybe I just haven't noticed them.

Anyway, I was in Villa and noticed that they had large cans of Brauhaus beers from Nonthaburi Brewery, supposedly one of the leading Thai craft brewers, so I thought I'd give it a go, even though they're ridiculously expensive for a locally-brewed beer at around 150 Baht a can. My first drink was their Helles Lager, and it was OK but nothing special, the Kuchlbauer Helles that Siamburi's used to stock was much better. If the NB Helles was a sensible price, say 70 or 80 Baht a can, I'd say it's decent value, but at 150 Baht? Honestly, at that price I expect something much better than this, the price is the same as you pay in Friendship for a half-litre bottle of Weihenstephaner dunkelweissbier, widely regarded as one of the best beers anywhere. If this is what Thai craft beer looks like, then the future is overpriced and not especially bright.

9b03cbcd18bc22729a8fae313280e488_1280x12

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1