COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

40 minutes ago, roomark said:

Well I went to Old Trafford (pre -season in August ) and Anfield the day after Old Trafford both sell outs packed to the rafters and anyone could buy a ticket no Vax certificates needed maybe Covid didn't exist then ?

Where I live it's absolutely packed to the hilt every weekend with thousands of people along the seafront and the pubs absolutely packed to the rafters , the same as when I was in my teens ( not complaining its brilliant to see and be amongst again) no vax passports needed people all having a good time ..

You don't need a Vax passport everywhere . 

Slippery slopes , f**k the fear the media has created and indeed even on here reading some of tje things written on both sides of the fence.

Not quite the same in Italy though and several other countries. Of course anyone can buy a ticket to anything. But getting in is another matter, according to the Venue. A friend of mine took his wife, son and daughter to a Creedance Clear Water Revival concert at the O2, a couple of weeks back and were asked for Covid vaccine evidence. His kids had not been vaccinated, so they had a test centre set up there. They took the tests, negative and were allowed in. 

Of course it's great to go out again and enjoy life. Like you, I have not been asked to show evidence of vaccination so far. But I only go out locally to small venues. You don't need a vax passport in most places in UK. 

But at the same time, I don't think that people should be complacent either. COVID is still very much around and it won't disappear over night. 

Rather than fear, we all need to exercise a bit of common sense and social responsibility, and we can all start enjoying life again. I don't take our new freedoms for granted now that restrictions have been mostly lifted. 

I feel a lot more confident about going out, since being vaccinated. But of course it's not 100% effective. 

We should not forget that vaccinations are the very reason that we have most of our freedoms back again. We should want to try and keep it that way. 

If we all work together, there is a far better chance of seeing an end to the misery of Covid.  Antivaxxers are divisive and do nothing to contribute to the overall well being of the greater population. That's my opinion anyway. 

Some people contract the virus and are asymptomatic but for most, they will know when they catch it and should get a test or self isolate for 10 days. But clearly, many don't and are happy to spread the virus to others, because they are selfish. That is what I mean by social  irresponsibility. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58731340

United Airlines to fire staff who refuse vaccine

Nearly 600 United Airlines employees face being fired after failing to comply with the firm's Covid-19 vaccination policy.

The vast majority of its 67,000 US staff have supplied proof of vaccination, which was required by Monday.

"This was an incredibly difficult decision," its bosses said in a memo to employees.

The Chicago-based airline set out its Covid requirements for staff in August.

Its US employees had to upload proof of vaccination, or the first of two jabs, by the deadline on Monday.

The 593 workers who have refused a coronavirus vaccine and have not applied for an exemption on religious or medical grounds now face losing their jobs.

"Our rationale for requiring the vaccine for all United's US-based employees was simple - to keep our people safe - and the truth is this: everyone is safer when everyone is vaccinated, and vaccine requirements work," its chief executive Scott Kirby and president Brett Hart said on Tuesday.

"This was an incredibly difficult decision but keeping our team safe has always been our first priority," they said.

Some of those employees could be kept on if they have been jabbed and have simply failed to submit proof of vaccination - or if they are vaccinated before formal meetings on the matter, the company said.

United said it would follow the rules outlined in union agreements on the dismissals. The process could take weeks or months.

A further 2,000 employees have requested an exemption to the policy.

It previously said it would put those who are exempt on temporary, unpaid leave from 2 October. But those plans were put on hold after a lawsuit was filed by six employees challenging the policy.

• Great Info 1

3 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Not quite the same in Italy though and several other countries. Of course anyone can buy a ticket to anything. But getting in is another matter, according to the Venue. A friend of mine took his wife, son and daughter to a Creedance Clear Water Revival concert at the O2, a couple of weeks back and were asked for Covid vaccine evidence. His kids had not been vaccinated, so they had a test centre set up there. They took the tests, negative and were allowed in. 

Of course it's great to go out again and enjoy life. Like you, I have not been asked to show evidence of vaccination so far. But I only go out locally to small venues. You don't need a vax passport in most places in UK. 

But at the same time, I don't think that people should be complacent either. COVID is still very much around and it won't disappear over night. 

Rather than fear, we all need to exercise a bit of common sense and social responsibility, and we can all start enjoying life again. I don't take our new freedoms for granted now that restrictions have been mostly lifted. 

I feel a lot more confident about going out, since being vaccinated. But of course it's not 100% effective. 

We should not forget that vaccinations are the very reason that we have most of our freedoms back again. We should want to try and keep it that way. 

If we all work together, there is a far better chance of seeing an end to the misery of Covid.  Antivaxxers are divisive and do nothing to contribute to the overall well being of the greater population. That's my opinion anyway. 

Some people contract the virus and are asymptomatic but for most, they will know when they catch it and should get a test or self isolate for 10 days. But clearly, many don't and are happy to spread the virus to others, because they are selfish. That is what I mean by social  irresponsibility. 

Spot on. Very well said and done so respectfully.

I have a bit more harsh response to anti-vaxxers.    -----------  f**k OFF  !

16 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Spot on. Very well said and done so respectfully.

I have a bit more harsh response to anti-vaxxers.    -----------  f**k OFF  !

Just so you know mate , I'm not anti -vax and  iv had both jabs , but there is that much shite flying around on both sides everyone has ended up going round in circles saying the same thing over and over and I certainly wouldn't trust this government in U.K to fix anything right now the country is in one big f***d up mess.

• Like 2

For all the talk of backlogs in the NHS I saw a GP about sun related skin growths on Tuesday & have an appointment at a dermatology department next Wednesday.

He said he'd put urgent on it but he also said that it wouldn't kill me which was a tad reassuring.

Edited by coxyhog

@lazarus@Kathmandu@Mr. Smooth Shout out to my fellow Californians here, not trying to start any shit here, I am sure we all know there are a few idiots here in the state but.....I got to give props to alot of the locals here. We are bending the curve here quite nicely, people are listening etc and getting the message.

My gal pal Denise, the ER gal at the gym tells me at O'Connor Hospital they only have 3 patients in the ER. 1 is on a Ventilator, the other 2 are not and just getting treatment right? Slowed down quite a bit, great news obviously. 

But I mean I see alot people here even in their cars, windows rolled up, by themselves, with masks on??  Tuesday went for a jog over on this trail, I mean this particular location is out away from civilization and wifey even pointed out to me that there were alot of people wearing masks too outdoors while running? 

Not trying to knock anyone for their right to wear a mask, but......geez seems a bit of over kill? 

I can hear The Eagles now......"Take it........ to the limit...........................one more time"? 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

Not trying to knock anyone for their right to wear a mask, but......geez seems a bit of over kill? 

It's a free country...

I bet most of the mask wearers are vaxx-ed too. Force of habit? Fear? 

I only wear mine in stores and in my daughter's school (required). Other than that...happy days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yessongs said:

@lazarus@Kathmandu@Mr. Smooth Shout out to my fellow Californians here, not trying to start any shit here, I am sure we all know there are a few idiots here in the state but.....I got to give props to alot of the locals here. We are bending the curve here quite nicely, people are listening etc and getting the message.

My gal pal Denise, the ER gal at the gym tells me at O'Connor Hospital they only have 3 patients in the ER. 1 is on a Ventilator, the other 2 are not and just getting treatment right? Slowed down quite a bit, great news obviously. 

But I mean I see alot people here even in their cars, windows rolled up, by themselves, with masks on??  Tuesday went for a jog over on this trail, I mean this particular location is out away from civilization and wifey even pointed out to me that there were alot of people wearing masks too outdoors while running? 

I can hear The Eagles now......"Take it........ to the limit...........................one more time"? 

It's even like that up here, with our small population, miles of wilderness and some of the cleanest air in the world; I think much of it is just virtue signalling - "Look at me, I am so socially responsible" - just silliness, IMHO....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yessongs said:

How's the smoke situation in your parts (I've heard quite a bit of particular matter floating around, even when distant from the fires) ? Some people may have gotten in the habit of wearing them with Covid and found that they could adjust reasonably. There are a lot of people who have asthma or other lung disorders or sensitivities to smoke and other pollutants that many of us take for granted. 

Some people put them on when entering a store and forget to take them off upon departure, or just choose to leave them on until they get home.

When I was living in Chiang Mai I kept mine on whenever out. Because it was required by law and to protect against the heavy smoke (I was there during much of "smoke season"). I also discovered that even when on long and high powered walks that the mask didn't bother me. In fact I looked at it as kind of a bonus that made my heart work stronger.

• Like 1

https://www.aol.co.uk/entertainment/queen-star-roger-taylor-criticises-060024150.html

“I know people that think it is some giant conspiracy. I just don’t understand them and to be honest I just think it is idiotic not to be vaccinated.

“And as for people only doing concerts for people who are not vaccinated, that is even more stupidity.”

Edited by coxyhog

YouTube expands COVID move to block all anti-vaccine content

YouTube will block all anti-vaccine content, moving beyond its ban on false information about COVID-19 vaccines to include material that contains misinformation about other approved vaccines, the social media giant has announced.

YouTube said on Wednesday the expanded policy will apply to “currently administered vaccines that are approved and confirmed to be safe and effective by local health authorities and the WHO (World Health Organization).”

The new policy will also see false claims about routine immunisations for diseases like measles, Hepatitis B and influenza removed from YouTube.

That would include cases where vloggers who post content on the platform have claimed that approved vaccines do not work, or wrongly linked them to chronic health effects.

The online video company is also banning channels associated with several prominent anti-vaccine activists including Robert F Kennedy Jr and Joseph Mercola, a YouTube spokesperson said.

A news email for Mercola’s website said in a statement: “We are united across the world, we will not live in fear, we will stand together and restore our freedoms.”

Kennedy, who is a member of the prominent US political family, said in a statement: “There is no instance in history when censorship and secrecy has advanced either democracy or public health.”

Facebook this month launched a renewed effort to tackle violence and conspiracy groups, beginning by taking down a German network spreading COVID-19 misinformation.

YouTube said content that “falsely says that approved vaccines cause autism, cancer or infertility, or that substances in vaccines can track those who receive them” will be taken down.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/9/30/youtube-blocks-all-anti-vaccine-content-in-major

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

YouTube expands COVID move to block all anti-vaccine content
YouTube will block all anti-vaccine content, etc.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/9/30/youtube-blocks-all-anti-vaccine-content-in-major

I have very mixed feelings about this.

Whilst I applaud anything done to stop misinformation (which is often often disinformation) being spread, I am concerned about who will decide what is and what is not misinformation. We are really not very far away from the media (incl. big tech) determining what we should think.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bazle said:

I have very mixed feelings about this.

Whilst I applaud anything done to stop misinformation (which is often often disinformation) being spread, I am concerned about who will decide what is and what is not misinformation. We are really not very far away from the media (incl. big tech) determining what we should think.

My view is that we are all entiteled to what we think, but that of course depends on informaion recieved or where we choose to seek it.  But there will always be an issue of what is regarded as the truth. 

i have no idea either exactly how youtube will monitor material which is submitted, but it may put pay to some of the obvious misinformation that is posted that has been  totally disproven. 

Could be a mixture of  algorithmic and human intervention. 

Perhaps youtube will elaborate on their methods although youtube do have a right to sensor material as they are not publically owned