COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

10 minutes ago, Britboy said:

Interestingly, the lady who checked me in, who clearly had good medical knowledge, asked if I wanted the flu jab as well. I told her I'd never had a flu jab, to which she instantly replied "definitely don't have it then". I wasn't going to anyway.

That surprises me. Any chance she explained her reasoning?

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Britboy said:

I had my booster jab yesterday at 11.30 am UK time. Not that it should matter, but had it at a different location to the first two.

My first two jabs were Pfizer, so was interested to see how they handled my third one. A couple of my mates who had 2 x AZ jabs got Moderna as their booster. Personally, I wanted Pfizer as my third jab too. The staff checked me in, saw that my first two were Pfizer and said my 3rd would also be Pfizer. Excellent.

My first two jabs I didn't feel a thing. This one really stung when she injected the serum and took at least twice as long to complete. Probably just down to the person administering it. She also inserted it slightly higher up in my muscle than the previous two. Again, could be down to the injector, who was a youngish lady compared to the old boilers who gave me the first one, who obviously had much more experience giving jabs.

I've read various media columns and I was partly expecting a 50% dose as the booster, but checking on the my record on the NHS app I had the full dose (30 micrograms/0.3 ml), same amount as the first two.

24 hours on I feel absolutely fine, just the sore arm when I lift it to shoulder height, same as it was for my first two jabs.

I downloaded my Covid Pass and that appears to have been updated as it shows expiry on 17th December, one month one day since the booster. Also got a new card showing I've had the booster, batch no., etc. But on my "records" it only shows the first two jabs.

All good and I'm glad I've had the booster.

Interestingly, the lady who checked me in, who clearly had good medical knowledge, asked if I wanted the flu jab as well. I told her I'd never had a flu jab, to which she instantly replied "definitely don't have it then". I wasn't going to anyway.

I think the half dose for the booster is if you have a moderna booster.... a full dose has twice the "important stuff" in it, and so only half a dose is needed for the booster.

As for the booster showing on the app, I believe it shows in your medical history, but at the moment the app wont show it as part of the passport, where only the initial 2 are shown. I think I heard that they are working on changing the app to show the booster...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Painter said:

I think the half dose for the booster is if you have a moderna booster.... a full dose has twice the "important stuff" in it, and so only half a dose is needed for the booster.

As for the booster showing on the app, I believe it shows in your medical history, but at the moment the app wont show it as part of the passport, where only the initial 2 are shown. I think I heard that they are working on changing the app to show the booster...

I want a badge to show that I have had it 😁😁

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Bazle said:

That surprises me. Any chance she explained her reasoning?

It surprised me too, but as I wasn't going to have it anyway I didn't press her. On reflection I should have done.

My thoughts are either it was because I'd never had one before so the assumption is that I've built up immunity over the years or because I hadn't had one before it's not recommended having the flu jab at the same time as the Covid booster.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Painter said:

Yes, like I mentioned my "record" on the NHS app only shows the first two but I just wonder if the pass/QR code includes all three. My reasoning is that it now shows Dec 17th as expiry, which will be 7.5 months since my 2nd jab.

If the 3rd jab is not included in the QR code yet it covers 7.5 months since jab 2 then as things stand, as I'm still covered by the pass, the booster makes no difference to being able to get into places. Like you say, I've read they are working on adding the booster to all aspects of the app, but ffs why didn't they do this when they first started to give boosters rather than wait weeks and weeks and after 13+ million people have had it? Surely that would have been another incentive for people to have the booster. Really think the government have dropped the ball.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Britboy said:

Yes, like I mentioned my "record" on the NHS app only shows the first two but I just wonder if the pass/QR code includes all three. My reasoning is that it now shows Dec 17th as expiry, which will be 7.5 months since my 2nd jab.

If the 3rd jab is not included in the QR code yet it covers 7.5 months since jab 2 then as things stand, as I'm still covered by the pass, the booster makes no difference to being able to get into places. Like you say, I've read they are working on adding the booster to all aspects of the app, but ffs why didn't they do this when they first started to give boosters rather than wait weeks and weeks and after 13+ million people have had it? Surely that would have been another incentive for people to have the booster. Really think the government have dropped the ball.

I think the date is just a rolling 1 month from today, whatever today might be. I had a similar concern with a mate a couple of days ago, when mine expired on December 15th. I've just checked, and today it expires on December 17th....  I wonder if the thai pass takes this expiry date into account??

Agree though, it would be good if the booster was shown more prominently...., although not until middle of December when I've had mine, please!!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, Painter said:

I think the date is just a rolling 1 month from today, whatever today might be. I had a similar concern with a mate a couple of days ago, when mine expired on December 15th. I've just checked, and today it expires on December 17th....  I wonder if the thai pass takes this expiry date into account??

Agree though, it would be good if the booster was shown more prominently...., although not until middle of December when I've had mine, please!!

Yes, it lasts for 30 days from issue.

Tough on the young people...have to call it a night at midnight!

Ireland, home to one of Europe's highest vaccination rates, imposes curfew on pubs and clubs as cases rise

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/17/europe/ireland-covid-curfew-intl/index.html

Ireland will impose a midnight curfew on bars, restaurants and nightclubs from Thursday, its prime minister Micheál Martin has announced, as the country tackles a fresh wave of Covid-19 cases.

Martin said the country's rise in infections is "a cause of deep concern" as he unveiled a swathe of new measures aimed at "reducing socialization across the board."

They include a return to guidance that people work from home and an expansion of where a vaccination pass is required -- people must now show them at theaters and cinemas.

Ireland has one of Europe's highest vaccination rates, with 89.1% of people over the age of 12 having been immunized, but its booster program has only been available to those over 60, healthcare workers and at-risk people. The government is making plans to offer third doses to those in the 50s and people with underlying health conditions, Martin said.

The prime minister called for a "collective effort" to keep Ireland's economy open, and pointed towards the "picture emerging across Europe," where cases are generally rising and causing governments to bring in fresh restrictions.
Ireland recorded its highest case number since January last Friday, when 5,483 new infections were reported...

17 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Tough on the young people...have to call it a night at midnight!

Ireland, home to one of Europe's highest vaccination rates, imposes curfew on pubs and clubs as cases rise

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/17/europe/ireland-covid-curfew-intl/index.html

Ireland will impose a midnight curfew on bars, restaurants and nightclubs from Thursday, its prime minister Micheál Martin has announced, as the country tackles a fresh wave of Covid-19 cases.

Martin said the country's rise in infections is "a cause of deep concern" as he unveiled a swathe of new measures aimed at "reducing socialization across the board."

They include a return to guidance that people work from home and an expansion of where a vaccination pass is required -- people must now show them at theaters and cinemas.

Ireland has one of Europe's highest vaccination rates, with 89.1% of people over the age of 12 having been immunized, but its booster program has only been available to those over 60, healthcare workers and at-risk people. The government is making plans to offer third doses to those in the 50s and people with underlying health conditions, Martin said.

The prime minister called for a "collective effort" to keep Ireland's economy open, and pointed towards the "picture emerging across Europe," where cases are generally rising and causing governments to bring in fresh restrictions.
Ireland recorded its highest case number since January last Friday, when 5,483 new infections were reported...

I am not sure that it would make a lot of difference but I am not an expert. I would have thought that any damage would have been done already before midnight in terms of spreading the Virus in a nightclub atmosphere with close contact and people dancing exhaling and inhaling at a higher rate than normal, it to mention kissing and cuddling for those lucky enough to pull a partner. 

A drag, but still far better than lockdown as it was before. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

More cases at work.Another couple of positive tests including one whose wife and 5 year old daughter as well.

Government said it would rise again and its certainly looking that way.

Yep, I agree. The big issue coming up is Xmas and NY which will  probably be the highest rise in cases, especially NY with parties and gatherings going on everywhere. The problem is, that whilst vaccines can greatly reduce the symptoms of Covid, anyone can still contract the virus and spread it on to others if they feel well enough to mix and either don't do a test or pass it on willingly. Vaccination alone won't stop the spread of the virus, but only reduce hospitalisation and death. Which is still the main objective

I heard than an ex work colleague of mine passed away last week due to Covid complications No idea whether he had been vaccinated or not. He was only 63.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

54 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Yep, I agree. The big issue coming up is Xmas and NY which will  probably be the highest rise in cases, especially NY will parties and gatherings going on everywhere. The problem is, that whilst vaccines can greatly reduce the symptoms of Covid, anyone can still contract the virus and spread it on to others if they feel well enough to mix and either don't do a test or pass it on willingly. Vaccination along won't stop the spread of the virus, but only reduce hospitalisation and death. Which is still the main objective

I heard than an ex work colleague of mine passed away last week due to Covid complications No idea whether he had been vaccinated or not. He was only 63.

Can see vaccination passports coming in for clubs, gigs,sport etc. If cases get too high. Take that over another lockdown any day. We need to get back to taking precautions ourselves to keep the infections down or we will eventually get locked down again. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Painter said:

Yes, the 2D Barcode refreshes for 30 days every time you log on. 

Your booster jab is recorded on the app on your GP health Record under Acute (short term) medicines.

It will show on the barcode soon, Javid said the other day they're aware of it and some countries not allowing you in unless with a booster, and they are going to update the app to reflect that.

10 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Can see vaccination passports coming in for clubs, gigs,sport etc. If cases get too high. Take that over another lockdown any day. We need to get back to taking precautions ourselves to keep the infections down or we will eventually get locked down again. 

We won't get locked down again, certainly not in England, and i doubt anywhere in the UK as Sanuk won't pay furlough again.

There's no need, either. If anything with cases running so high for the past few months in the UK, the natural immunity from people who have been infected plus the immunity from vaccines has the UK with a far better immunity than Europe. 

That, plus in the UK the gap between vaccines has proven to be right, as in Europe the 3 week gap has seen the vaccines wane far quicker.

UK has pretty much been validated in their actions. This time last year cases were doubling every 14 days or lessm and needed lockdowns, not so now due the virus hitting the high levels of immunity. 

Edited by Krapow
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, galenkia said:

Spot on brother. Got my booster jab today. 😷 :default_061:

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Kathmandu said:

Did you do your own research first?

Firstly, there is no evidence that Vitamin C is an alternative to Covid Vaccination or that it limits either the symptoms or transmittion of the virus

Risks of vitamin C injections
If you’re thinking about getting high doses of vitamin C through injection, talk with your doctor about the potential risks.

Vitamin C increases iron absorption from the food you eat. If you take very high doses of vitamin C, your body might absorb too much iron. This could be a potential problem if you already have high levels of iron in your body.

If you have kidney disease, very high doses of vitamin C might result in kidney damage.

High-dose vitamin C injections might increase your chance of developing a kidney stone. People who’ve had kidney stones in the past may have a greater risk.

When any injection is given, there is also risk for infection.

Vitamin C injection is generally administered by a health care professional.You should not self administer it at home

Most people take Vitamin C supplements along with others, in the form of capsules or tablets

But generally a healthy diet including fruit an veg will give you the vitamins you need to stay in general good health and maintain a healthy imune system along with many other essential vitamins.

I would not be surprised at all if some of these Social Media Antivax sites are promoting the injection of Vitamin C as an alternative to the Covid vaccines. Maybe even peddling the stuff for at a huge profit 

But I would doubt that Fforest actually does give himself Vit C booster injections anyway. 😁. Of course I could be wrong

I take an effervescent multivitamin tablet every day in the form of a refreshing orange flavoured drink when dissolved in water. I don't always keep to  a healthy diet

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

17 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Firstly, there is no evidence that Vitamin C is an alternative to Covid Vaccination or that it limits either the symptoms or transmittion of the virus

Risks of vitamin C injections
If you’re thinking about getting high doses of vitamin C through injection, talk with your doctor about the potential risks.

Vitamin C increases iron absorption from the food you eat. If you take very high doses of vitamin C, your body might absorb too much iron. This could be a potential problem if you already have high levels of iron in your body.

If you have kidney disease, very high doses of vitamin C might result in kidney damage.

High-dose vitamin C injections might increase your chance of developing a kidney stone. People who’ve had kidney stones in the past may have a greater risk.

When any injection is given, there is also risk for infection.

Vitamin C injection is generally administered by a health care professional.You should not self administer it at home

Most people take Vitamin C supplements along with others, in the form of capsules or tablets

But generally a healthy diet including fruit an veg will give you the vitamins you need to stay in general good health and maintain a healthy imune system along with many other essential vitamins.

I would not be surprised at all if some of these Social Media Antivax sites are promoting the injection of Vitamin C as an alternative to the Covid vaccines. Maybe even peddling the stuff for at a huge profit 

But I would doubt that Fforest actually does give himself Vit C booster injections anyway. 😁. Of course I could be wrong

I take an effervescent multivitamin tablet every day in the form of a refreshing orange flavoured drink when dissolved in water. I don't always keep to  a healthy diet

Thanks for accentuating my point. 

Of course fforest was being sarcastic and so was I.  

The point is this. I was having a conversation with an antivaxxer who insisted that he didn't trust the vaccine because he didn't know what was in it. I replied, "you mean like the shit we put up our nose  back in the day". He could not answer.

Edited by Kathmandu