COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

1 minute ago, fforest said:

I dont get why the mask wearers cant be satisfied that they are wearing a mask and since they believe the masks gives them protection from Covid, and just let the non mask wearers be??

The mask wearers should be rejoicing that the human population is being culled of all the stupid dangerous neanderthal non mask wearers right??

Funny how the non mask wearers never seem to attack the mask wearers and try and force them not to wear a mask...........unlike the mask wearers..... 

I am not sure that anyone is attacking. But my guess is that non mask wearers have little reason to resent those who chose to wear masks since it does not harm them in anyway. 

Whereas those who chose to wear masks for protection to themselves and others may feel that those who choose not to wear them are a potential threat. It's common sense really and not surprising that some people are rather paranoid at the moment and perhaps with good reason

But at the end of the day wearing a mask is not hurting anyone else and certainly not in the way that some are offended by women wearing burkas. 

• Like 2

Wear a mask. Be a man.

Or,...be a dead hamster.

HKU hamster research shows masks effective in preventing Covid-19 transmission

https://fightcovid19.hku.hk/hku-hamster-research-shows-masks-effective-in-preventing-covid-19-transmission/

Tests on hamsters showed wearing surgical masks can significantly reduce the non-contact transmission of the deadly Covid-19 virus, especially when masks were worn by infected individuals, according to a study led by HKU infectious disease expert Prof Yuen Kwok-yung. 

The study, released on Sunday, shed light on an ongoing heated debate on whether wearing masks would help prevent the transmission of the deadly coronavirus. 

In each set of the experiment, hamsters were separated in two groups and placed in two cages, with one of the groups infected with Covid-19.

In the first experiment, no surgical masks were placed between the two cages. In the second one, a surgical mask was placed closer to the healthy hamsters. In the third experiment, the mask was placed closer to the infected, as if the healthy ones or the infected were wearing masks.

With no partition in between the cages, two-thirds of the healthy hamsters were infected a week later. In the following two experiments with masks in between, the infection rates were lowered to one-third and one-sixth respectively. 

Yuen urged the public to keep wearing masks with crowds in the public and in enclosed indoor areas despite the hot weather to help contain the invisible transmission. 

• Like 1

I also think that it instinctive to react to a perceived danger. 

But if one does not perceive an imminent danger then there is less likelihood of the need to protect oneself. 

Apart from a bit of common sense, we don't exactly have many tools at our disposal against an invisible enemy that might leave one person unscathed yet kill another

So there is both a scientific view and an emotional reaction

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fforest said:

I dont get why the mask wearers cant just be satisfied that they are wearing a mask, since they believe the masks gives them protection from Covid, and just let the non mask wearers be??

The mask wearers should be rejoicing that the human population is being culled of all the stupid dangerous neanderthal non mask wearers right??

Funny how the non mask wearers never seem to attack the mask wearers and try and force them not to wear a mask...........unlike the mask wearers.....

If I show you the courtesy of preventing my spit and snot from landing on you, you should have manners enough to reciprocate the gesture.

Like most other mask wearers I have no belief they my mask is protecting me, so don't know why you would think that.  It's all about you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KWA said:

If I show you the courtesy of preventing my spit and snot from landing on you, you should have manners enough to reciprocate the gesture.

Like most other mask wearers I have no belief they my mask is protecting me, so don't know why you would think that.  It's all about you.

Some people think concern or respect for others infringes on their freedom (to be a deadset kunt).

Edited by fygjam
  • Like 1

Could this be the real issue (for some) about choosing to not wear a mask in crowded public places?

- - -

The strange conflation of masks and masculinity

https://theweek.com/articles/914223/strange-conflation-masks-masculinity

"...The advice of wearing a mask in public to limit COVID-19's spread may be the most innocuous of the standard retinue of mitigation efforts: It doesn't interfere with our work or limit our movement, keep us from worship or separate us from extended family. In many places, you can get a mask for free. And as it reassures strangers we're acting responsibly, masking is a step, however counterintuitive, toward normalcy.

Yet since masks became widely used, they acquired symbolic meaning for their skeptics. Among those skeptics is R.R. Reno, the editor of the conservative religious journal First Things, who argued masking signals unmanly cowardice.."

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, lazarus said:

Could this be the real issue (for some) about choosing to not wear a mask in crowded public places?

- - -

The strange conflation of masks and masculinity

https://theweek.com/articles/914223/strange-conflation-masks-masculinity

"...The advice of wearing a mask in public to limit COVID-19's spread may be the most innocuous of the standard retinue of mitigation efforts: It doesn't interfere with our work or limit our movement, keep us from worship or separate us from extended family. In many places, you can get a mask for free. And as it reassures strangers we're acting responsibly, masking is a step, however counterintuitive, toward normalcy.

Yet since masks became widely used, they acquired symbolic meaning for their skeptics. Among those skeptics is R.R. Reno, the editor of the conservative religious journal First Things, who argued masking signals unmanly cowardice.."

There appears to be some confusion about the purpose of wearing a mask. This confusion being brought about by reasons ranging from wilful ignorance to fuking pigheaded stupidity.

Surgical (barrier) type masks.

No matter how stylish, surgical style masks do NOT protect the wearer. They protect others by limiting the range and spread of the wearer's exhaled aerosols and droplets.

Over time there have been many attempts to measure the size and conditions under which aerosols and droplets are expelled. Sufficient to say that they range in size from less than 1µm to 1mm and are expelled during normal respiration through whispering, talking, shouting, coughing and sneezing with increasing volume and projected range.

You should wear a mask

• If mandated.
  • If requested.
  • If in an area where there is ongoing community transmission of Covid-19.
  • In crowded areas.
  • If suffering any of the symptoms of Covid-19.This should be on the way to or returning from being tested. If you have a positive test you should be in isolation.

You don't need to wear a mask

• If you can't fog a cold mirror. Probably should call the paramedics instead.
  • If you feel it makes you feel unmanly, cowardly or restricts your liberty and freedom. In these cases you shouldn't leave the institution though.
  • If you live wherever the lockdowns have worked and there is no more community transmission.

Protective masks.

These masks offer protection to the wearer by filtering incoming air. They go by names like N95, KN95, FP2, P2 etc. These names reflect the testing standard of the place where the mask is manufactured or sold. In general they will filter out 95% of particles greater than 3µm. The SARS-CoV-2 virus ranges in size from 0.05 - 0.2µm. To be effective there needs to be an airtight fit between the mask and face around the edge of the mask. The better (more expensive) masks have an exhaust valve which makes exhaling easier and prevents the mask from becoming damp due to exhaled moisture. Damp masks become ineffective.

Wear a protective mask whenever and wherever you feel the need.

Has anyone noticed that those who squeal the loudest about wearing a mask are those who squawk the most about the restrictions of the lockdowns whereas if people wore masks the duration of the lockdowns could be reduced.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, fforest said:

So when are all you mask wearers going to quit wearing masks?

Are you going to wait till is the T.V says its ok not to wear masks any more?

I'll stop wearing one as soon as I won't risk a fine for not having one.

IMHO, a pointless requirement with the infection rate in Chonburi at zero and less than a handful for all of Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, fforest said:

So when are all you mask wearers going to quit wearing masks?

Are you going to wait till is the T.V says its ok not to wear masks any more?

I don't wear one.

The lockdowns worked!

20 minutes ago, fygjam said:

And there we have it. Do you feel the need? wear a mask. Do I feel the need? no. Therefore I do not wear a mask.

As they are wont to say in Thailand -- Up To You.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, fatbhoytim said:

And there we have it. Do you feel the need? wear a mask. Do I feel the need? no. Therefore I do not wear a mask.

As they are wont to say in Thailand -- Up To You.

I said wear a protective mask if you feel the need for protection, especially from arrogant pricks.

Wear a barrier mask to protect others when required!

A well deserved honour for Captain Tom!

Coronavirus: Captain Tom Moore awarded knighthood for NHS fundraising

Captain Tom Moore is to be knighted for his fundraising efforts after a special nomination from the prime minister.

The war veteran raised more than £32m for NHS charities by completing 100 laps of his garden before his 100th birthday in April.

Boris Johnson said the centenarian had provided the country with "a beacon of light through the fog of coronavirus".

As an honorary colonel, his official title will be Captain Sir Thomas Moore under Ministry of Defence protocol.

The knighthood, which has been approved by the Queen, will be formally announced on Wednesday.

Capt Tom, who was given the honorary title of colonel on his 100th birthday, had initially set out to raise £1,000 for NHS charities by walking laps of the 25m (82ft) loop in his garden in Marston Moretaine, Bedfordshire.

But he eventually raised £32,794,701 from more than one and a half million supporters.

In a statement, Boris Johnson said Capt Tom's "fantastic fundraising broke records" and "inspired the whole country".

"On behalf of everyone who has been moved by his incredible story, I want to say a huge thank you. He's a true national treasure," he said.

Labour Party leader Sir Keir Starmer congratulated Capt Tom and said he had "brought inspiration to millions and helped all of us to celebrate the extraordinary achievements of our NHS".

"In his actions, Tom embodied the national solidarity which has grown throughout this crisis, and showed us that everyone can play their part in helping build a better future."

Capt Tom, who was born in Keighley, West Yorkshire, captured the hearts of the nation and his birthday celebrations were extensive.

The occasion was marked with an RAF flypast as well as birthday greetings from the Queen and prime minister.

He was also made an honorary colonel by the 1st Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment, in which he had served during World War Two, and received an estimated 140,000 cards.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, fygjam said:

I said wear a protective mask if you feel the need for protection, especially from arrogant pricks.

Your reply came from a direct quote that I took from your post number 3810

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

There is no ambiguity about that statement, no matter how you try to twist it. Also I do not appreciate the Ad Hominem attack -- play nice or take yourself to feck.

ad-hominem_orig.jpg

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

You should change your board name to … Weather...… as you are continually changing all the time.... 555

cheers