COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

24 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

The media has a lot to blame for terrifying the public over a mild illness. Even tonight I seen an RTE reporter tweet 'jump in the number of new cases in ireland'. What was the jump? It went from 6 new cases the previous day to 23 new cases! Hardly a jump. 

The UK is conducting around 150-200k coronavirus tests per day. There was 890 confirmed cases today, that's in a population of 65 million people. It's absolutely under control now, most new cases are healthcare workers and care home patients. 

Can we blame the media, or do we blame the Govt for some of the misinformation?. We then need to ask if it was deliberate misinformation, or misguided disinformation, one such example being the "alleged" reason the Govt didn't say face masks was because it would have created such a massive shortage, the Healthcare profession would not have been able to get any. That in itself would have led to perhaps NHS, Police etc getting ill in larger numbers, thus any civil unrest or major incident would have been a disaster. At the end of the day it's a no brainer that an airborne transmitted disease could and would be less transmissible by wearing a mask, but the Govt didn't want panic buying of masks like they had with bog rolls.

I've had Covid 19, and yes, in comparison to a lot of stuff, it was a mild illness, to me. However, in some demographics it is a fatal illness, and the problem is that the demographics where it is serious and fatal are fairly clear cut. It may present itself as a mild illness to anyone in their mid 20's, but cop it when you've over 60 and it's going to be a very different story in a larger percentage of patients. It can't be generalised as a "mild illness" imo.

I agree, it is under control and the NHS is well equipped and ready to deal with it, even localised spikes. There's no doubt that the measures introduced have allowed this.

The only item that can't be factored in is the utter stupidity of some people though, despite the advice to stay at home if you have symptoms, or get tested, there will always be the numptys who go out and about. Fair play if you're healthy, but there will always be some mouth breather that insists on going to work because he thinks it's "just a cold".

59 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

The media has a lot to blame for terrifying the public over a mild illness. Even tonight I seen an RTE reporter tweet 'jump in the number of new cases in ireland'. What was the jump? It went from 6 new cases the previous day to 23 new cases! Hardly a jump. 

The UK is conducting around 150-200k coronavirus tests per day. There was 890 confirmed cases today, that's in a population of 65 million people. It's absolutely under control now, most new cases are healthcare workers and care home patients. 

So do you blame the media for governments all around the world for operating Lockdowns, or for the airline industry cancelling most flights, or for all of the deaths and hospital admissions ?

It was serious and still is. The MSM used government.figures, Government briefings and government advice and if you were elderly or had pre existing condition, of course you would be petrified, and many still are. Elderly Lives Matter too.

Every time you use a figure to quote, it comes from the media.

Many government's got in wrong in the sense of timing and not being prepared, but not much was known about the virus. We looked in horror at the mass graves in Italy. I am sure that the Media didn't make it up

The virus was not instead of the flu, it was in addition to flu and far more destructive to the lungs in many patients. We have a flu vacination for over 60s but nothing for C19 as yet. 

I don't think the virus was over blown at all and could have been a lot worse had the government done nothing and just shrugged it off as a mild illness.

The numbers have come down significantly in UK and it's now down to the British Public to be sensible and keep the cases low until such a time when either the virus loses strength, a vaccine is available and or an effective form of treatment for those who react badly to the virus 

Meanwhile, cases in many US States are on the rise again.

That should be a clear warning to us and other countries that it could spike again if relax and are not cautious about our social habits. 

Economies will recover, they generally do over time, and it may take a few years and we will all pay for it down the line. No government could have foreseen it coming and even if they had it would still.have damaged the economy.

I have never favoured the Tories but I don't blame them for much relating to the Corona Virus Pandemic just because I didn't vote for them. 

So, things are looking up for the UK, but is not over till the day lady sings whoever she is. 

• Like 1

The reason infection numbers and deaths is well down and the NHS wasn't over run is because of lockdown. It worked, as it did in Spain, China wherever, fact!

Currently, deaths in the UK have risen, week on week, so we're at best currently plateauing, unlike other European countries which were in a similar situation. 

Why? Probably a combination of beaches packed, protests, counter protests, illegal raves etc. Once the bars etc open next Saturday let's hope it just continues to plateau. Anyone who dismisses this just has to look at what's currently happening in the US, where they opened up similar and have just had their highest figures since the virus arrived. Not back to square one, worse!  So don't think it couldn't happen.  The other European countries that opened up were well down in figures compared to us when they did. Even with that, Germany, Spain, Portugal etc are having reginal outbreaks. 

The UK had 65,000 excess deaths from March in a 5 year average. That's a lot of deaths. So is it alright because they're mostly elderly or underlying health issues, no, not in my world!

Even the daily confirmed infection rates are about 1000 a day. Saturday to Monday's figures are not true due to lag, weekly is best. And that's only the confirmed, the actual figure will be much, much more, people potentially not knowing and passing it on. 

This virus is not done by any means, overall in the world, it's currently getting worse not better. 

All that said, people have had enough, every week since start of May i've seen more out each day, more shops opening. Lockdown was only going to be adhered to for so long, behavioral scientists told us this. 

Personally i'm delighted the economy is opening up, though raging the gyms aren't opened yet. The risk is well lower, again, due to the actions taken. If Lockdown had of happened earlier and harder, we'd be where say Spain are now. They'll be a reckoning when this is finally over, and Boris and co will not come out of it well. 

The Economy, well, as i posted a few pages back,  according to the latest IMF Report, the UK will come out if this better than say France, Spain, Italy, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the US in terms of debt. Indeed, the UK's debt is lower compared to lots of 'well known' countries. 

Basically what i'm waffling about out is the virus is still in the UK, though the actions taken have curtailed it a lot, the risk compared to the risk of keeping the economy shut has reached a tipping point IMO, well, reached that point at very least a couple if weeks back for me. We need to get people back to work for the economy and also for their own sanity and normality.  The ones i really feel sorry for are the children, especially the 'at risk' kids, who are now even more at risk. And i agree the scum Unions are using  schools as a political  issue to try and make the Tory Government look bad. They got a kicking at the  election with Corbyn in December, and are kicking back. Poor kids are collateral damage IMO.  But overall  in a global perspective,  the virus is accelerating, not decreasing. In Europe, it'll be regional lockdowns as required, and every day we know so much more about it, effective medicines, how it impacts the body in different ways etc. We can't become complacent. I don't see a 2nd wave the way some 'we're all doomed' are proclaiming it. I think it will be regional outbreaks that need to be dealt with fast and hard. 

Oh, and f**k China, cunts need ostracized as very least. In all seriousness, if this isn't a wake up call to countries being so reliant on them, i don't know what will be. And also a wake up call to the dangers of unchecked Globalisation.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Butch said:

Can we blame the media, or do we blame the Govt for some of the misinformation?. We then need to ask if it was deliberate misinformation, or misguided disinformation, one such example being the "alleged" reason the Govt didn't say face masks was because it would have created such a massive shortage, the Healthcare profession would not have been able to get any. That in itself would have led to perhaps NHS, Police etc getting ill in larger numbers, thus any civil unrest or major incident would have been a disaster. At the end of the day it's a no brainer that an airborne transmitted disease could and would be less transmissible by wearing a mask, but the Govt didn't want panic buying of masks like they had with bog rolls.

I've had Covid 19, and yes, in comparison to a lot of stuff, it was a mild illness, to me. However, in some demographics it is a fatal illness, and the problem is that the demographics where it is serious and fatal are fairly clear cut. It may present itself as a mild illness to anyone in their mid 20's, but cop it when you've over 60 and it's going to be a very different story in a larger percentage of patients. It can't be generalised as a "mild illness" imo.

I agree, it is under control and the NHS is well equipped and ready to deal with it, even localised spikes. There's no doubt that the measures introduced have allowed this.

The only item that can't be factored in is the utter stupidity of some people though, despite the advice to stay at home if you have symptoms, or get tested, there will always be the numptys who go out and about. Fair play if you're healthy, but there will always be some mouth breather that insists on going to work because he thinks it's "just a cold".

I'm the last person that will the defend the UK govt or any govt for their response to Covid19. I think it was deliberately misguided information from the MSM, fuelled by fake news from social media that caused a public frenzy. The MSM makes its living from courting outrage, chaos and controversy, lets take Piers Morgan for example. In the early days of Covid19 he was the loudest voice for organising a quarantine and he became so hysterical it was laughable at times, but Piers Morgan needs that controversy to draw in viewing figures or else people will just realise that he's just an egotistical maniac pissing in the wind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nightcrawler said:

So do you blame the media for governments all around the world for operating Lockdowns, or for the airline industry cancelling most flights, or for all of the deaths and hospital admissions ?

It was serious and still is. The MSM used government.figures, Government briefings and government advice and if you were elderly or had pre existing condition, of course you would be petrified, and many still are. Elderly Lives Matter too.

Every time you use a figure to quote, it comes from the media.

Many government's got in wrong in the sense of timing and not being prepared, but not much was known about the virus. We looked in horror at the mass graves in Italy. I am sure that the Media didn't make it up

The virus was not instead of the flu, it was in addition to flu and far more destructive to the lungs in many patients. We have a flu vacination for over 60s but nothing for C19 as yet. 

I don't think the virus was over blown at all and could have been a lot worse had the government done nothing and just shrugged it off as a mild illness.

The numbers have come down significantly in UK and it's now down to the British Public to be sensible and keep the cases low until such a time when either the virus loses strength, a vaccine is available and or an effective form of treatment for those who react badly to the virus 

Meanwhile, cases in many US States are on the rise again.

That should be a clear warning to us and other countries that it could spike again if relax and are not cautious about our social habits. 

Economies will recover, they generally do over time, and it may take a few years and we will all pay for it down the line. No government could have foreseen it coming and even if they had it would still.have damaged the economy.

I have never favoured the Tories but I don't blame them for much relating to the Corona Virus Pandemic just because I didn't vote for them. 

So, things are looking up for the UK, but is not over till the day lady sings whoever she is. 

Yes I do blame the media in the most part for the cack handed response to Covid19. You have to remember in the early days of Covid19 in UK the Govt response to Covid was markedly different to the current approach, why? Because Piers Morgan and other media types whipped up a public frenzy, they were quoting outrageous things like 'covid has a 6% mortality rate' when that was scientifically unproven. I'm not saying that the virus wasn't serious, I'm not saying it didn't warrant a co-ordinated national response, but that response was massively disproportionate to the size of the problem.

Just look at the Nightingale hospitals debacle, only one or two of those hospitals actually seen any patients, the rest were never staffed and never even fully finished, they realised halfway through building they were never needed, but they had to save face. The numbers in the UK are well down, 890 cases yesterday with 170,000 tests conducted, that's in a population of 66m plus. Is it still a risk to the elderly and those with underlying illnesses, yes of course, does that mean we should cripple our economy, cause economic hardship and balloon our national debt even further?

No, the time has come for the utterly absurd response to end, we need to get the country back on track whilst at the same time providing care and protection to those that still need it. The teachers unions and other associated idiots that are out to cause nusiance and disruption to the Covid response should be ignored, teachers should be sent back to work, if they won't go back, then sack them and find someone who will.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Krapow said:

The reason infection numbers and deaths is well down and the NHS wasn't over run is because of lockdown. It worked, as it did in Spain, China wherever, fact!

Currently, deaths in the UK have risen, week on week, so we're at best currently plateauing, unlike other European countries which were in a similar situation. 

Why? Probably a combination of beaches packed, protests, counter protests, illegal raves etc. Once the bars etc open next Saturday let's hope it just continues to plateau. Anyone who dismisses this just has to look at what's currently happening in the US, where they opened up similar and have just had their highest figures since the virus arrived. Not back to square one, worse!  So don't think it couldn't happen.  The other European countries that opened up were well down in figures compared to us when they did. Even with that, Germany, Spain, Portugal etc are having reginal outbreaks. 

The UK had 65,000 excess deaths from March in a 5 year average. That's a lot of deaths. So is it alright because they're mostly elderly or underlying health issues, no, not in my world!

Even the daily confirmed infection rates are about 1000 a day. Saturday to Monday's figures are not true due to lag, weekly is best. And that's only the confirmed, the actual figure will be much, much more, people potentially not knowing and passing it on. 

This virus is not done by any means, overall in the world, it's currently getting worse not better. 

All that said, people have had enough, every week since start of May i've seen more out each day, more shops opening. Lockdown was only going to be adhered to for so long, behavioral scientists told us this. 

Personally i'm delighted the economy is opening up, though raging the gyms aren't opened yet. The risk is well lower, again, due to the actions taken. If Lockdown had of happened earlier and harder, we'd be where say Spain are now. They'll be a reckoning when this is finally over, and Boris and co will not come out of it well. 

The Economy, well, as i posted a few pages back,  according to the latest IMF Report, the UK will come out if this better than say France, Spain, Italy, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the US in terms of debt. Indeed, the UK's debt is lower compared to lots of 'well known' countries. 

Basically what i'm waffling about out is the virus is still in the UK, though the actions taken have curtailed it a lot, the risk compared to the risk of keeping the economy shut has reached a tipping point IMO, well, reached that point at very least a couple if weeks back for me. We need to get people back to work for the economy and also for their own sanity and normality.  The ones i really feel sorry for are the children, especially the 'at risk' kids, who are now even more at risk. And i agree the scum Unions are using  schools as a political  issue to try and make the Tory Government look bad. They got a kicking at the  election with Corbyn in December, and are kicking back. Poor kids are collateral damage IMO.  But overall  in a global perspective,  the virus is accelerating, not decreasing. In Europe, it'll be regional lockdowns as required, and every day we know so much more about it, effective medicines, how it impacts the body in different ways etc. We can't become complacent. I don't see a 2nd wave the way some 'we're all doomed' are proclaiming it. I think it will be regional outbreaks that need to be dealt with fast and hard. 

Oh, and f**k China, cunts need ostracized as very least. In all seriousness, if this isn't a wake up call to countries being so reliant on them, i don't know what will be. And also a wake up call to the dangers of unchecked Globalisation.  

Calm down ffs you're getting hysterical.

Did you actually look at the graph I posted earlier? The trend in the UK is going one way, and that is down. There will be daily and weekly fluctuations but that's expected, just like in all countries, not helped by your buddies in London wrecking the place

Behavioural scientists? LOL... Give me a break. The so called experts have been so wrong on this it's actually laughable, like when they told us that Covid had a 6% mortality rate, when it's more than likely closer to 0.2%.  

I can't even be bothered to debunk the rest of that hysterical, guardian induced diatribe. 

Edited by dcfc2007
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, dcfc2007 said:

Yes I do blame the media in the most part for the cack handed response to Covid19. You have to remember in the early days of Covid19 in UK the Govt response to Covid was markedly different to the current approach, why? Because Piers Morgan and other media types whipped up a public frenzy, they were quoting outrageous things like 'covid has a 6% mortality rate' when that was scientifically unproven. I'm not saying that the virus wasn't serious, I'm not saying it didn't warrant a co-ordinated national response, but that response was massively disproportionate to the size of the problem.

Just look at the Nightingale hospitals debacle, only one or two of those hospitals actually seen any patients, the rest were never staffed and never even fully finished, they realised halfway through building they were never needed, but they had to save face. The numbers in the UK are well down, 890 cases yesterday with 170,000 tests conducted, that's in a population of 66m plus. Is it still a risk to the elderly and those with underlying illnesses, yes of course, does that mean we should cripple our economy, cause economic hardship and balloon our national debt even further?

No, the time has come for the utterly absurd response to end, we need to get the country back on track whilst at the same time providing care and protection to those that still need it. The teachers unions and other associated idiots that are out to cause nusiance and disruption to the Covid response should be ignored, teachers should be sent back to work, if they won't go back, then sack them and find someone who will.

I take it that you don't have any kids or grandkids?

It's not that simple. A lot of parents do not want to send their kids back to school until September.. it's not just about teachers. People ultimately should have the right to make a judgement about putting themselves at risk, not just employers who have laid off thousands of workers. It's a two way street with different parameters involved.

C19 is a new virus with little known about it when it first reached the shores of the UK but it was known to spread very rapidly and data from the Wuhan outbreak was all that was available. There was a real.risk that the NHS would be unable to cope with a major influx of patients. The government had little choice but to plan for the worst scenario in the event that existing hospitals would not be able to cope and not have the right number and quality of PPE equipment and ventilators. 

As the Virus also made its way into Italy, the UK saw the effects that the virus was having on resources and the high death rates. It would not be long before the UK would be in the same danger.

As Scientist, medical specialists and politicians have learned more about the virus, it has become easier to deal with through testing and monitoring and can be used in the event of another pandemic in the future and there will be at least one every century.  Not to mention the possibilities of strain mutations and a second or third wave. Scientists do not know for sure whether a person who has had the virus can catch it again and pass it on whilst appearing to be asymptomatic.

Many people are returning to work and essential services have all been carried out during the first few months, with April/May being the height of infection and death rates.

People that cannot make a car journey or walk to work will be forced into packed buses trains and tubes where they are most likely to be at risk of both getting the virus and passing it on especially in London and other major cities.

I disagree with you entirely that we should carry on as before the outbreak and that could be disastrous by causing a reverse in lockdown which will cost the economy even more in the longer term. 

The easing of the lockdown in phases is the correct way to go, monitoring each phase to analyse the risks and benefits before further easing. We are not yet ready for normality, but a series of new norms. 

Why do you think a place like Pattaya is so slow to open up, when there are zero reported cases?. It is because there are lots of factors to consider

But countries in the rest of the world also  have to take their time in opening back up. 

C19 made its way across the globe via mainly sir travel..

Airlines may not resume many of their scheduled flights until September and have laid off thousands of staff both in the sir and on the ground. Even when they start to resume, many people may not want to travel on a plane for hours sitting a few inches away from a stranger. They are not ready as many other services are not ready, nor should they be. 

What you might wish for any many of us would like, is to resume normality now, but that is not possible and for many good reasons.  It's not going to happen.

It maybe different for you in Ireland, but that is a small place with fairly low infection rates. That cannot be compared with the UK as a whole let alone a vast country like the USA with rising numbers of infection.

We will have to agree to disagree, i'm afraid and we will have to rely upon medical experts and government departments to decide what is the best course of action. The government will be only too aware of the economical impact of this Pandemic

Sorry for the rather long reply, and would not blame anyone for not reading it all

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

Calm down ffs you're getting hysterical.

Did you actually look at the graph I posted earlier? The trend in the UK is going one way, and that is down. There will be daily and weekly fluctuations but that's expected, just like in all countries, not helped by your buddies in London wrecking the place

Behavioural scientists? LOL... Give me a break. The so called experts have been so wrong on this it's actually laughable, like when they told us that Covid had a 6% mortality rate, when it's more than likely closer to 0.2%.  

I can't even be bothered to debunk the rest of that hysterical, guardian induced diatribe. 

given the data out of the US (ie 10:1 assymptomatic v symptomatic)  it is likely to be way below 0.1% but it does appear to be highly infectious ...thus putting at risk groups in danger

Of those who are symptomatic ...5% become critically ill 

Edited by Ivan the terrible

4 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

given the data out of the US (ie 10:1 assymptomatic v symptomatic)  it is likely to be way below 0.1% but it does appear to be highly infectious ...thus putting at risk groups in danger

Of those who are symptomatic ...5% become critically ill 

The common cold is highly infectious but has a low death rate, do we quarantine healthy people and crash our entire economy everytime this an outbreak? 

• Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

The common cold is highly infectious but has a low death rate, do we quarantine healthy people and crash our entire economy everytime this an outbreak? 

no but thats because this is far more deadly to some...there are many at risk groups,the elderly ,diabetics ,hypertension,heart disease.the immunosupressed,cancer patients some respiratory conditions and others ...high chance of these getting illness requiring hospitalisation...

20 % of symptomatic cases require hospital treatment,5% become critical,1-2% will die ...thats a boat load of people 

Edited by Ivan the terrible

Fresh stats from the US:

The older you are, the greater your risk of suffering a severe case of COVID-19, according to new guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

...Among those who become infected with the coronavirus, the risk of dying from COVID-19 increases sharply with age, the latest data show. Although the overall mortality rate for those 1.3 million cases was 5.4%, it was 1% or lower for Americans under 50. However, it was 2.4% for those in their 50s, 6.7% for those in their 60s, 16.6% for those in their 70s and 28.7% for those 80 and up.

The risk of being hospitalized for COVID-19 was slightly higher for people in their 70s (34.1% of those infected) than for those who had passed their 80th birthday (32.5%). Similarly, the risk of being admitted to an intensive care unit was higher for those in their 60s (4.1%) and 70s (5.6%) than for those 80 and above (3.6%)...

The list of who’s most at risk for severe cases of COVID-19 just got longer, CDC says
https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-06-26/cdc-updates-list-of-whos-most-at-risk-for-severe-cases-of-covid-19

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ivan the terrible said:

no but thats because this is far more deadly to some...there are many at risk groups,the elderly ,diabetics ,hypertension,heart disease.the immunosupressed,cancer patients some respiratory conditions and others ...high chance of these getting illness requiring hospitalisation...

Well, have that lot quarantined (and shut up) so that the rest of us can enjoy life !

Easy.

Written from the beach in front of a red wine....

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Well, have that lot quarantined (and shut up) so that the rest of us can enjoy life !

Easy.

Written from the beach in front of a red wine....

Goes both ways.

Quarantine the carriers and the rest of us can enjoy life. Works just as well.

I only copied part of the article.  The real meat comes in a dialogue with a Harvard expert.

Evil

scientific.JPG

How to Evaluate Coronavirus Risks 
from Black Lives Matter Protests

Large crowds, tear gas and jail cells could contribute to transmission of the virus. But it would not be easy to separate that danger from the risks of states reopening businesses and workplaces

By Tanya Lewis on June 22, 2020

Large crowds gather in New York City to protest the death of George Floyd and police violence. Crowds of any kind could pose a risk of coronavirus transmission, although being outside and wearing masks may help. Credit: Ira L. Black Getty Images

After months of being cooped up at home to prevent the spread of coronavirus, people have taken to the streets by the thousands over the past few weeks to protest against police killings of Black people and decades of systemic racism. The gatherings have some people worried about a spike in coronavirus infections—but they have also been defended by some public health experts, who argue that racial injustice is itself a major public health threat.

The risk of transmitting coronavirus is likely lower outdoors, and many of the protesters have been wearing masks. But some experts note there is still risk—especially given the close interactions between police and protesters, the use of chemicals such as tear gas and pepper spray that irritate the mucous membranes (causing tearing, runny noses and coughing), and the corralling of arrested protesters in crowded vans and jail cells.

There is not much evidence that the protests have caused spikes in coronavirus infections so far. And any increase in cases from the protests would be hard to separate from the fact that states are reopening in general, according to Caroline Buckee, an associate professor of epidemiology at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. Scientific American spoke with Buckee about the risks posed by protesting, the difficulty of tracing infections back to the protests, and how to stay safe while exercising one’s democratic rights.

(READ MORE)

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 1